Pat

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
OK, I'll bite...

It will last long enough for you to replace it with something suitable for the value you place upon the boat.

R M P T R

OP
OP
ScubaDude

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rmptr said:
OK, I'll bite...

It will last long enough for you to replace it with something suitable for the value you place upon the boat.

R M P T R
::)

No, we're talking shipwreck artifact, not today's ground tackle.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Oh, sry...

Do you mean like a damascus gunbarrel? but a chain made in that fashion?

OP
OP
ScubaDude

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct. Just a crude winding of wire forming each chain link. My guess is early 1800's but I was hoping someone might have encountered it.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brad,

Do the links appear to be wire wrapped?Look all rusted together with steel wire?Most likely its not strands of wire but in fact solid iron but when rusted and alot that has flaked off has high ridges that look like it was wire wrapped.my 1600's dead eye looks like this after i bead blasted it.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Brad I think they started using regular chain for anchors about 1800. I dont know about wire chain. I have seen iron artifacts that had the look like fisheye said.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
FISHEYE said:
brad,

Do the links appear to be wire wrapped?Look all rusted together with steel wire?Most likely its not strands of wire but in fact solid iron but when rusted and alot that has flaked off has high ridges that look like it was wire wrapped.my 1600's dead eye looks like this after i bead blasted it.

Brad....I was thinking along FISHEYE's line as well. Do you have a photo of the item? I've noticed that alot of VERY old iron spikes that weren't worthy of preserving take on this "stranding" type of consistency once you've removed the concretions.

Pcola

OP
OP
ScubaDude

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, a little new info. The chain I'm referencing was about 60 ish feet in length, so it wasn't a random piece of rigging that could have been mistaken. A section of it was given to the Smithsonian. Sorry I don't have more info or pictures. I guess this material would date to the period when mariners switched from rope to chain, does anyone know what time period that might relate to, and what its origins are?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Brad, this info might help:

The year 1808 is the most notable date in chain making history, for in that year an Englishman Robert Flinn of Bell St. North Shields became the first man to make improved iron anchor chains which won wide recognition as an outstanding success.
Justly known as "The Father of Anchor Chain Industry", Flinn made and constructed his own weight and lever proofing machine for his chain.

In the same year Samuel Brown, a British Naval Officer, took out Patents for twisted open chain links, joining shackles and swivels. The twisted link patent was soon abandoned but Brown's shackle and swivel designs were scarcely improved on for the next 100 years. The conversion from hemp to chain now proceeded quickly.

More here at this link:
http://www.oldchesterpa.com/baldt_anchor_history.htm#history_anchor_chain

Still awaiting more replies from Sub-Arch.

Tom

Sophjomom

Jun 28, 2016
Portland Maine
Detector(s) used
WHITES
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20160628_073411.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions