mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
brrrr....you got a drysuit?

I just spent a week in the water in Boca Ciega bay and the water temp was about 68 degrees and I thought that was almost unbearable...in a full wetsuit and hood.

Can't you wait until "spring"? ;D ;D

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Wimps! Dry suits! LOL! ;D ;D ;D

Lets go dive with Wayne! Maybe join the Polar Bear club! Now thats what I call cold! :o :o :o

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can verify that Robert "It's only 58 degrees, man" Gecy really is laughing at us and our "cold" water down here.

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Blah Blah Blah ;D The water will get up to 86 or so in July but it will be late April before I can shuck the wetsuit. Unfortunately the best visibility in the bay here is between now and May.

Pcola

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
You florida boys are a bunch of girls ;)

My first openwater dive was i march and the water was 40F and it was snowing. I was not using a drysuit but a 7mm semidry suit with a 7mm shorty on top of that. That's enough to keep you warm if you only do shallow dives :)

Regards

V

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
I did my Dive Master Course during the winter in the Fl springs (72 deg). I remember doing our surface interval in the water cause it was warmer than getting out. That was over 10 years ago. I learned there is always warm water....somewhere.

Diverlynn

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
My open water cert. a few years ago was water temp. of 30 F. the air temp was about 40. 7mm wetsuit. once we were numb and our regs quit freezing underwater we were O.K. ;D The last dive I made about 2 weeks ago the water was 33 and the air was about 15 with the wind gusting to 44! I got frostbite on my cheeks! No joke! I do wear a drysuit now. Anybody wanna go scallop diving with me?

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
I forgot to add.... that this is in Maine. I did my open water cert. in Rockland harbor(hence the freezing point below 32 in salt water), and there was ice on part of it! We pushed ice getting in at the little beach. I made a down payment on my dry suit the day I got certified! I only made two wetsuit dives before I got a drysuit. Even in the summer here the ocean only gets to about the low sixties. OH, if you are diving a wetsuit, carry a big themos of luke warm water to pour into your suit, gloves and booties before you hop in. DON'T USE HOT WATER!!!! It really helps. Also a great warm up after the dive.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's nothing! I did my checkout dive in Antarctica by diving in an ice fishing hole. We were...okay...just kidding. I couldn't figure out a better way to get a one-up on this thread ;D

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Darren in NC said:
That's nothing! I did my checkout dive in Antarctica by diving in an ice fishing hole. We were...okay...just kidding. I couldn't figure out a better way to get a one-up on this thread ;D

Looks like it's turning into a contest for who the biggest polar bear is ;D. Cold water is for drinking and over-sexed politicians.

fortunate

Sep 9, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
garrett master hunter ads 7, excalibur 1000, whites gmt, compass 77b yukon prospector
Sea cucumber diving here in Alaska...months of Nov. & Dec....45 degrees...7 hours straight in a day...D.U.I. cf200 thinsulate and such...no problem..7 to 8 degrees colder late dec. and jan. for sea urchins
Fortunate

mauijim1

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2008
Im in Arizona most of the time and when my pool gets below 90F its time to get out, I think Ill look for gold on the land during the winter and in the water during the summer!

emtrescue

Dec 26, 2007
Church Hill, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
anyone want to come take a river rescue class when the outside temp is in the 30's to 40's, snow is blowing and you're fighting (well, actually you have to make the current think that is where you want to go) the current from youknowwhere for about 4 days straight 8 or 10 hours a day??? and yes you are in the water all day for the most part.

CaribbeanDiver

Oct 28, 2004
Voldbjerg said:

Just got back from a chilly dive here in the Keys and the water was 78.6. I long for warm summer water. If that makes me a girl, fine, I'm going home and playing with my boobs! lol

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
CaribbeanDiver said:
Voldbjerg said:

Just got back from a chilly dive here in the Keys and the water was 78.6. I long for warm summer water. If that makes me a girl, fine, I'm going home and playing with my boobs! lol

Got three words for you .... SPOILED ROTTEN BRAT ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread