wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
if it is british the weight and place of manufacture will be cast into the stock. any idea of the weight ?

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Please get it in some water. If it dries out it will start to come apart quickly. It will then need to go through electrolosis for about 6-9 months to get rid of the salts.

Great find! Maybe a small kedge anchor. The flukes look to be triangular.

Robert

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was thinking the same thing Robert, kedge anchor. Except there is no cross bar. looks like 1850's vintage. GET THAT THING IN WATER!

OP
OP
D

divemachine

Greenie
Feb 4, 2008
Thank you very much for all the information so far. I will try to put it into water asap!!!!!!
The tip with the kedge anchor makes sense. I found the anchor very close to a reef wall that comes up all the way to the surface. Behind the reef [between beach and reef] I discovered now a very big pile of ballast stones. Most of the stones are shaped as diamonds, tringulars or just as small flat cobblestones.
wwwtimmcp... Is there a standard spot on British anchor stocks for the manufacturer stamp? Unfortunately I have no chance to weigh the anchor but we needed three guys to lift it up...I guess around 350 to 400 pounds.
Robert...the fluke is triangular.
scubasalvor ...Do you have any idea until when these anchors were common on ships? The reason I am asking is...close by I found a medicine bottle that was produced from the 1860s on but was told that the type of cover on the bottle actually was not produced before 1950. Maybe it is just coincidence.

Thank you very much for helping me with this find.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Without the metal cross bar or stock, it is made most likely prior of 1800. Most anchors made after that had a metal crossbar or stock perpendicular to the flukes. The flukes do look Spanish-kind of heart shaped/triangular. It is hard to tell exactly with all the encrustation. Is anything else in the area? It is small for a big ship. What part of the world is it from? Nice find! Put it on a trailer, and put it in a fresh water lake for a while, before it falls apart.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Also on the bottle subject, if you could post a picture of the bottle, I could ID and date it for you. With rock ballast, it most likely is an older ship. British ships had a Broadhead arrow head stamped into every metal object. It would not really be able to be found on an anchor, but any bronze or copper part, including sheathing nails. If it was lead sheathing, or no sheathing, that would be older, pointing more to Spanish. But Spanish did use copper for a little while, but more recent. British used lead sheathing until about 1810, but used iron pigs, bars like a long loaf of bread, at that time. Snoop around the wreck area and see if you can find any fittings etc. Steve.

OP
OP
D

divemachine

Greenie
Feb 4, 2008
Hi Steve,

thank you so much for the information. Tomorrow I'll try to post a few pictures of the bottle and some other things that I found around the site.
Thanks for the interest...

OP
OP
D

divemachine

Greenie
Feb 4, 2008
Hello again,

here are some pictures of the bottle that i found nearby. It says on the bottle:" Lydia E. Pinkham´s Medicine, 14 1\2 oz, and on the bottom:"Made in USA".
Moreover I stumbled over this piece of china. These two items might have been polluting the wreck site???
I also attached a picture of two of the ballast stones. There were some very interesting metal parts but even days of electrolytic reduction did not give a clearer picture. In case that I will succeed in cleaning these parts, I will post them.
Thanks...

Attachments

• Foto-0005.jpg
    Foto-0005.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 301
  • Foto-0009.jpg
    Foto-0009.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 327
  • Foto-0008.jpg
    Foto-0008.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 305
  • Foto-0007.jpg
    Foto-0007.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 296
  • Foto-0011.jpg
    Foto-0011.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 331

CaribbeanDiver

Oct 28, 2004
divemachine said:
Thank you very much for all the information so far. I will try to put it into water asap!!!!!!

Don't try, do it now or it will be ruined. Used Salt Away and change it every 3 months until you can get it into electrylosis, or get someone to do it for you.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for bringing up this thread.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well, the flukes on it help in dating it
the sottery shard shows it was carrying cargo from the orient or Britan ( brits commonly made knock offs of Chinese pottery )
the screw cap type bottle with made in US marking if native to the wreck also can be used in dating said wreck
looking at what i see i would say early 1900's --since screw cap bottle useage was not common until 1920 or so
hope this info helps

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread