old bottles from anchored ships.

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
I find bottles where they used to anchor old schooners. I made a post at the bottles and glass section of the forum with a pic of a couple of typical bottles. Can anyone tell me if these are worth anything? The post is "old salt water bottles". Not really treasure, but maybe worth something. I found a spot in the harbor where I can get lot's of them, pretty easily.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
This is very common! I find a lot of them here as well.

I will go a check out what you have found! Post some picts here as well!

Robert

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have a peter haering bottle from the late 1600-early 1700 period. I have had offers of $400.00 for it. the liqueur cherry heering is a direct decendant of the peter haering distillery. find a dozen of those and you can take the month off.

cpt scuba

Jul 17, 2006
for twenty years diving in the keys and the last 10 years diving in the Caribbean i have found ceramic bottles all with the neck broken did not think much of it at first and looked for the wrecks never were any. after a few years i stumbled on the facts these bottle s were the crews day grog ration basically water ed down rum or whiskey each sailor was given one each day and as they were sealed with cork and lead no one ever took the time to dig out the cork so they just broke the neck off and drank it and then threw the bottle overboard the neatest thing was finding the exact same bottles all over the keys and Caribbean out of about 100 i found 1 that was intact and these bottles are very hard to break so i know it was done on purpose some of them had a readable stamp h Kennedy n sons Glasgow Scotland most could not be read

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions