Brass Dragon

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006
I found this little brass dragon while beach diving on the North Shore of Long Island NY. The site has a small wreck in the area. Dragon was found while metal detecting and was only 15' from the wreckage (which is not very old). We call the wreck the Sea Cliff Wreck http://www.aquaexplorers.com/shipwreckseacliff.htm
Anyway, Im not sure if its from the wreck and im not sure what it is. It look like it mounts to a wall and on the otherside has a small cup like it holds something in place. Has anyone seen anything like it or have an idea as to what it was used for?

Thanks in advance
Capt. Dan
www.aquaexplorers.com

Attachments

• brassdragon2.jpg
    brassdragon2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 461
OP
OP
W

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006
Here is one more photo for scale.

Attachments

• Brassdragon1.jpg
    Brassdragon1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 463

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
looks like a wall mounted incense burner. the cup would hold the stem of the incense stick.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Very cool find!!!!!!

I'm not doubting that it could be an incense burner but the large loop formed by the body of the dragon would seem to have a purpose as well. The two pedestal type extensions at the bottom would seem to indicate it was affixed to something else at that point.

Just my opinion.

Pcola

vulcan007

Dec 4, 2007
ahoy mateys!

shiver me timbers!

that dragen thingy is nicey!

tha fella timccup know. that draegen is for incensen tha badda spiritts but don't go on tha walls! that mountin thingy go on a table or a pedastel...this olde matey seeen these draegens in foraing shipps... ;)

V

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Dan, those two protrusions on the bottom- do they have internal threads or are they solid? If they are threaded, it could be a fancy drawer handle. If not- then its a roach clip! :o

OP
OP
W

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006
scubasalvor said:
Hey Dan, those two protrusions on the bottom- do they have internal threads or are they solid? If they are threaded, it could be a fancy drawer handle. If not- then its a roach clip! :o

No internal threads at all so I do not think its a drawer pull. Thanks

Capt. Dan
www.aquaexplorers.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions