Long Island Beaches?

ted750

Aug 20, 2006
Hello, I'm Ted750, and I live about 20 minutes outside of NYC on Long Island. I have always had a curiousity with local treasure lore and I've been detecting for about 5 years now. I'm pretty much content with my finds so far, but I am lacking one small little bit that every treasure repetoire should have, A COB! I went to Vero Beach FLA about a year ago but came home with el zilcho, (I actually had to swallow my pride and buy one from the treasure museum there!) But as you can imagine, living in NY, traveling to Florida just for a few days of detecting is quite a hastle, and my parents would never take me during hurricane season when the hunting is really good! I guess what my question really is, is does anyone know of an old shipwreck somewhere in western LI located near shore where the beach might yield some old "treasure?" I know of a few just from some research at my local library, for instance, one near Statten Island at Elizabeth Port where Chests filled with cobs were pulled up by clam dredgers. Does anyone have any other shipwrecks on or near LI that might yield treasure on shore? And if not, any treasure legends, or even old sites that might yield old coins? I'm dying to get my first piece of Spanish Silver! I'll post the list of shipwrecks that I've compiled (save a few "special" ones!) But if anyone has any others I'd really appreciate the tip! I don't expect you to give out your best sites, but maybe a few old pounded out sites that you just don't get to any more....

Thanks in advance,

Ted

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006
I also live on Long Island. I would check out the book Long Island Shore Diver http://www.aquaexplorers.com/books_capt_berg_Long_Island_Shore.htm It lists a few good metal detecting beaches, unfortunetely it only lists beaches that are also good for scuba. You should also contact a shop called Treasurers Unlimited in Patchoque NY. Ask for Mike and tell him that Dan Berg told you to call. He should be able to point you in the right direction.

You can also check out this list of Treasure Wrecks for NY & NJ http://www.aquaexplorers.com/treasureshipwrecksnynj.htm

I have a few spanish coins, mostly pillar dollars from a beach in New Jersey. Only problem is the gov replenished the beach and buried the site under 10' of sand. its going to take a while for Mother Nature to wash it all away. That site produced 30-50 coins within 1/2 mile on the beach. All dated the same yr!! Has to be a wreck close by.

Good Luck
Capt. Dan
www.aquaexplorers.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions