Best choice of detector

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
I have already asked KellyCo this question, and while waiting for the answer, I wonder if I could open it to a wider audience?

I am interested in a wreck that is about 10 feet below the surface of a tidal mud flat, which seems to be impregnated with salt. I am looking for a detector that will go down that far, is imprevious to the salt, and that can discriminate between bronze cannons and silver bars, both of which I would expect to find on this particular wreck.

I tried White's deep penetrating detector, but the salt makes it go crazy.

Any suggestions?

Mariner

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A pulse sled will be your best bet, Mariner. I don't know what your budget is, but they are usually very pricey. They are the underwater version of a large 1m x 1m pi unit on land (Pulse Star II, Lorenz, etc.). They are impervious to salt. They claim discrimination, but my experience is that it's weak. The claims of 40 feet are bogus, but they should easily pick up cannon at 10 feet. I doubt they would pick up bars at that depth, though.

Salvor007

Dec 17, 2007
With all due respect to Mark Austin and this forum, you might want to try asking your question on the PI Forum at www.findmall.com.

Eric Foster oversees that particular forum and he is the Einstein of pulse induction technology.

holedigginfool

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
I was at Kellyco last weekend. I purchased one of their discounted detectors, the total was 299.45. I gave him 300.00 cash. The sales person proceeded to get out a calculator to determine how much change I was to get back. Make sure you talk to the right salesperson before you blow tons of money. I mean that in a nice way!

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did he staple the calculator tape to your invoice?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread