advice needed

sthrngold07

Sep 11, 2007
I've researched an area pretty good and have,what I believe to be,a pretty good idea where some treasure may lay.I believe it to be on the bottom of a river and was wondering if somebody here could help me out.I need some sorta 'scanner' or something that I could search this area to actually pinpoint where the treasure is.Do any of you know of one I could purchase at an affordable price or if someone knew of somewhere that would rent me one for a few days in SC,OR any other suggestions of how to go about this?I do know the current of the river to be pretty swift in areas,just not sure about in the vacinity of where this is.Thanks for any help that can be provided!

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to hook up with RGecy, he knows the SC laws and can help you with the survey. If you can't legally bring it up and properly handle the conservation, then your better off leaving it where it sits until you can. The last thing you want to do is spend a lot of cash to locate and salvage something and wind up having to give it away or get arrested. Not to mention the archaeological side of the story that needs to be handled professionally. If your just in it for the cash save yourself some time and buy a PowerBall ticket.

What you need for your survey is a magnetometer, plan on spending about $35k for a good one, Geometrics will rent them however unless you've got a good teacher your better off letting someone do it for you ($12-1500 a day). A mag is not a plug and play instrument, sidescan sonar is another tool that might work for you, RGecy can help you there as well, again they aren't really plug and play either, nor are they cheap ($30-40k). I don't know of anyone that will rent one without an operator coming with it and they charge $12-1500 a day.

Your other option is a boat towed metal detector, (around $8000) the drawback is that their effective range is only about 10' or less.

OP
OP
S

sthrngold07

Sep 11, 2007
Well,that helps and thanks for the heads-up on the leagality of it!Knowing me and my luck,I'd def. be the one for something like that to happen to :-\

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sthrngold don't decide anything until you hear Tom Yerian's advice. Tom, what would you do?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions