wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PORTLAND, Ore. — When beachcombers found two small cannons that likely came from the 1846 wreck of the Navy schooner Shark on the north Oregon coast, the state assumed it had some priceless artifacts. And for now, it does.

But the Navy reminded Oregon that if the cannons were Navy property back then, they’re Navy property now — 162 years notwithstanding.

There is no immediate sign the Navy will come get its guns, which are fairly rare. The shipwreck itself closed out a little-known chapter of naval history.

The Shark, an 86-foot-long schooner, sank outbound from the Columbia River, one of the world’s riskier river crossings.

One of its cannons was found in 1898. It is the namesake for Cannon Beach and is in the town’s history museum.

Chris Havel, of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, acknowledged that the Navy owns the guns.

“Federal law says part of a warship, no matter how old, belongs to the federal government,” Havel said. “There is no conflict [of ownership].”

Nehalem Bay State Park interpretive ranger Shelley Parker said she is unaware of any attempt by the Navy to get the first one back. The other two are at the park undergoing early steps in preservation and restoration.

Complete article http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/03/ap_navy_shipwreck_030308/

Attachments

• 030308nt_oldcannons_800_287.jpg
    030308nt_oldcannons_800_287.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 344

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hmmm...the picture looks like a bad spot on the floor of a welding shop. The cannon looks to have a squared edge. I guess I'm not seeing it correctly.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ahhh...thanks, Smithbrown. Much clearer now.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
actually the govt owns everything in effect -- "ownership" of land is one of the biggest hoaxes ever done to people by the federal, state and even local govts --- since you never really finally "own" land --- your always paying fees of one form or another on it ---land taxes -building permits ,ect ,ect --- you must always pay your --"land taxes" (think of it as a cheapest form of rent for the most part ) or "your land" will be taken away from you and sold at a "tax sale" --- oh by the way it does not surprize me that unless any piece of govt property was leagally bought with a reciept to prove you bought it --that the US Govt would say of any found piece of former type govt property --- its mine, mine, mine like a spoiled 3 year old brat kid.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread