Apr 27, 2005
New York
Detector(s) used
DRS Ground Exper
3 Foot Probe
Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know many and I mean most all times you see a discussion going in the direction of trying to find that "mother load" everyone seems to concede with the ending of such discussion with words like "but its the fun of the search" or "you'll never get rich and that's not the point of it, right?" or "I almost paid for my vacation to Cancun" So what about those who are not as inclined to think small and yet find it almost impossible to make a living at this incredible sport? Golfers do albeit a small percentage. But if I were to get on a golfers forum and ask the "experts" what the track is in order to eventually make a living a golf, I believe, though not substantiated, that there are basic guidelines and even a plan or two on how to get serious and have a shot at this. Last night I read a quote that said in treasure hunting "It's better to be lucky than knowledgeable." I sadly understand what they are trying to say but at the same time place it in the "you can't make a living at this Kid hopefully it will at least pay for the batteries you use" box of realistic but non-dreamers of the "Thinking Big" crowd. Imagine Mel Fisher buying into this mentality.

So here is my question and I'm going to start here in the Cache hunting catagory. If you can lay your preconceived "it's impossible to make a living in treasure hunting" ideas aside and give this question some real thought before answering it:

In order, what types of treasure hunting give the best chances of results to make a living. I'll start.

1.) Ship Wreck salvaging for gold and silver
2.) Hard rock Mining for gold on an industrial level
3.) Cache hunting
4.) Training a pack of labs to smell money to find rich peoples hidden currency.
5.) Slucing for gold out side the USA.
6.) Nugget hunting in A.U.
7.) Water hunting for rings in remote popular areas not hit.
8.) Water hunting in the Caribbean
9.) Diamond or precious stone hunting.

This is just a start, let you collective knowledge fly 1st class here. Do not allow you mind to travel in the paths often expressed. Again if you were dropped anywhere in the world and HAD to make a living at one type of treasure hunting, what would it be?

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You pose a very interesting question. I look forward to seeing what all the knowledgeable people that do, do this for a living have to say. I myself have done several of your examples but have not found enough for it to move beyond a vacation adventure.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
someone very wise once said, you need much silver to look for gold. if you've got the money or the backers go do it. if not you're going to have to get very very lucky. I'm not saying it cannot be done because it can.
just remember one thing, how many fail for every one that succeeeds ?

I would love to go treasure hunting, I've found every wreck I went looking for, 4 all together. one I think might just be my ticket to the big game. I found it 23 years ago and I'm planning on writing a book about her. she was lost on her maiden voyage in 1771.

if the book does well or the govt anti's up some grant money for salvage/research then I will give it my best shot at a very intriguing treasure.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
landman,

you forgot one other type in your list.

10.)Dumpster diving for treasure.

I have done all cept for 2,4,5 an 6.

I mostly make a living from #10.I have made well over 25k so far this year.This week will be good too.got a item on ebay thats up to 4k already with 6 days left.that money will be used to refurb my treasure boat.im bringing it inland an have it trucked to my house so i can do everything i need to do to it without giving money away to some marina for 3 months.my boat will be like brand new when i have it dropped back into the water.everything i own,house,cars,trucks,boats,toys has all been paid for in cash from #10 for the past 20 years.treasure hunting in the water is pretty much for fun.its costly unless you have a investor.

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
wow, great topic.where do i start. 1. first off remember youre in a treasure hunter forum.treasure hunters are known to be close mouthed.now that i think about it,its a miracle what gets dicussed openly here.and all the while guests are watching.first off i have always taken a financial view of my hobby.many wont. i cant undestand soo many people saying , oh u just do it to find valuables.like its a sin to want valuables.u r supposed to say well it was so beautiful today.i got such great exercise.nonsense im there for what i can find and what its worth.although im retired and dont need to work.i cant help pokin around. 2nd as general rule people are greedy.if someones got a good gig going they are going to talk discouragement to cut down on competition.unbeleiveable what some will share here if u ask politely.but again gen rule greedy. now lets talk the big score. i would bet the people who really score big rarely tell about it.sure mel fisher and such,but that couldnt be hidden.people brag about coins and rings.a few thousand here and there.small change.when ur talkin a single find worth 25 k or more or steady finds of at least 1000 a week.now ur talkin.these people gonna be zip lip. most are not repoting income to govt ,dont want to be ripped off or both. who do i think these people are.
1.gold hunters who really know there stuff. u can bet they is some ol boyz way back in that really cleanup and say zero.probably alaska.australia.remote oregon and california for sure. been readin books by garrett and roy lagal.one of the other wrote the little book,u can find an ounce of gold a day.i believe the premise.but one would need to concentrate on and do nothing else.learning curve of at least 5 years if not more.
2.ditto on water hunting for jewelry.many thousands of dollars worth lost evry day.again might be possible if u devote evry minute of ur life to it and how to. again the whole enchilada is based on gotta wanna bad enough.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
things in the shipwreck salvage world have changed quite a bit, since mel hit it big -- the govt did not like losing to mel fisher in court --so they had congress change the laws --the 1987 ship wreck act was custom tailored to stop the use of federal maritime courts by salvors who arrested a wreck and claimed salvage -- it was a petty spiteful thing done by those who could not stand to lose to "joe little guy" -- basically it bars folks from using the federal maritime courts ---turning over control to the states --who set up there own rules and permiting processes and say whats legally "required" to be able to salvage a vessel ---this in effect knocks all but the most well heeled big money proffessional hunters "out of the game" ---thus there will be no more rags to riches stories of mel's type--- poor man makes good --they made sure of it --- but we can still find stuff thru research and hard work and hook up with the big money outfits for a % cut of the find / salvage --which is my game plan --- Ivan

riobravo

Apr 2, 2006
south texas to the east coast
welcome landman,
and nice post, I'm going to do some thinking on this one, but i can without thought say the caliber of the treasure hunting group excels and creates a drive in people unparalleled there is not a value that can be placed on what i have seen or done or the friends i have made those are the riches that cant be taken or taxed. :icon_pirat:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You're not getting rich but I see you are eating well.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Do some intense research (hopefully uncovering previously unknown or producing consolidated info), add vintage pics and unpublished stories from old timers, a nice hardbound cover, sign each copy, and you will make more than the few 1715 fleet coins recovered each year.

As for a living, enjoy a tent home located where no on will find ya. If you write a book on your rough life you may sell a few copies....Goof luck!

SD

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OHIO: Yes it IS still possible, BUT, only if you go at it like any other occupation - with the proper training, equipment, financing, and dedication. You will not make it as a week end hobbyist who is only interested in fun with occasional luck, you must go at it full time in both field and research...

If you hit one good one a year, you will be extremely lucky.

I know, since I have gone this route, I prob would have earned much more money, until recently, if I had stayed in my chosen civilian profession. There were many lean periods where I could not even think of buying a coca cola or a cup of coffee without examining my personal finances very very carefully, than there were periods of "Wine and Roses"

If you are prepared to accept the lean periods, as well as the scarce Fat ones, then it can give you a life style, that is in my opinion, incomparable..

Don Jose de La Mancha

Deerdog40

Greenie
Mar 23, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
How about people like CRACKBADGER? He's got a pretty good average at finding alot of {Gold }and{Diamonds}{silver}each time he goes out. LOTS OF IT. Does he count on this TOPIC? I think he could do this for aliving if he wanted to. Maybe im wrong? I wanna know. ::) I have just found this site and love reading ALL the forum topics :thumbsup: DEERDOG

Wrecked Diver

Greenie
Oct 7, 2007
Hi Landman,
I'm a newbie to posting in this forum, however I would like to say I did my first commercial salvage in 1995 and made over a 1000% return. I have now been working in the salvage industry full time for the last 8 years. I have meet half a dozen multi millionairs from the industry, I know several millionairs from the industry. It's the same as anything you do in life if you love it and are passionate about it and you never ever, ever ! EVER give up you will make it. Life runs in cycles up and down and when you are 15 to 50 meters down and you put your hand on that piece of history that hasn't seen the light of day in over 4 or 5 hundred years and you know that your the first, I can live of that up cycle for the rest of my life. Then throw in a cold beer and some good friends and spicy food, that's living and getting payed to do it or making money from doing that's a blessing.
In saying all that I'm always prepared to go back to a real job, but only for a short time.

Wrecked Diver

Greenie
Oct 7, 2007
Hi Don Jose,
When I'm involved in something that is run by my passion and I'm making money from it I call that lucky , blessed or forchant and living life to the full.
When I've worked for a wage and made other people good money I call that a job. So many of my friends that I grew up with say I wish I could do something I want or like and enjoy life. It's at those times I know how lucky I am to be chasing my dreams, so many pepole live a whole life just thinking about it.

However, yes a real job pays real bills and pays for the food, that's part of the cycle.

All the best Don.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO WD: You posted --->

"It's at those times I know how lucky I am to be chasing my dreams, so many pepole live a whole life just thinking about it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the good life. I know EXACTLY how you feel, since I am doing the same.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the lean period but I'm spending it researching, finding information, chatting to many helpful people on here, making contacts and learning.
Then trying to balance it with my 'real' job (actually looking for a better paying one), getting my foot into the real estate investing scene and getting ideas for my own business.

These are steps to where I want to go and thats a full time treasure hunter.... I just want to archive this before I'm to old to enjoy it!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning Tommi: You posted --->

I just want to archive this before I'm to old to enjoy it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have good news for you Tommi, you never will be too old to enjoy it. Perhaps a bit slower in the physical end, such as diving on compressed air to 200 ft, which certainly isn't reccommended if you wish to enjoy the fruits of your efforts. heheheeh.

Of course you can always get Mac if he isn't busy piloting / Captaining a ship, or diving for the Zimmerman Gold.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning Jose my friend,

Good point - as long as your having doing what ever your doing then you're on a good thing :)
What I basically mean is that at the moment I'm treasure researching and hording money (hording not so working lol couldn't afford a coffee today)
The plan is to use my work and investments to find at first one treasure to set me up to quit work and treasure hunt full time!
So research the treasures that you have a chance to find and go for it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread