What kind of Treasure Hunting Book would you like to see written?

landman

Apr 27, 2005
New York
Detector(s) used
DRS Ground Exper
3 Foot Probe
Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok well I appreciate all your input on "making a living at treasure hunting" thread. So I've got an idea, but I want to see what all your ideas are too. If a book could be written, that hasn't been yet, and is begging to be in the treasure hunting world, what would it be?
Let me start: How about a book from a retired treasure hunter who for 60 years traveled and researched and documented thousands of treasure stories that he has not been able to follow up on. Very successfu himself so there is no question to his veracity. Most of his leads are undocumented, many little known and the best info for the known ones. Like Jesse James loot. And perhaps even being privy to whether the lost dutchman mine has already been found. Some of the smaller treasure stories and research would be published in a $99 book. The more expensive knowledge would be catalogued in a seperate book or online by catagory, topic, location or potential. Only a brief description would be given as not to give away too much. Sold exclusivily to one person for a small to enormous price depending on sourses, documentation and payday potential. An example could be a ship wreck little known off Cuba and all its info would go for $5000 with a potential of $100-million return. Or all research documenting a priest who buried the towns wealth as the towns people went off to fight in the Civil war and came back and the priest forgot the location only to die delirious due to guilt of losing the wealth. Say that one is $500 for this research with an estimated $500,000 return.

Imagine someone of Roy Lagel or KvonM's reputation, experience and knowledge selling his best leads and research? One lead per sale. Exclusive rights, no duplications. What secrets did KvM allow to die with him? Would you pay$$ for exclusive rights to one of his leads that no one else has access to or knows about?

OK if not then what do you think what type of book needs to be written in the the treasure hunting field in your opinion?

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The book would be nice however the research projects sold individually in confidence to single firms will get you further. With an overpriced book you'll only incite futher competition and you'll lose some of the trust necessary for people to open up to you.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
hows about a book that tells the nuts and bolts of how to do proper research -- a how to fnd your own "leads" type of book, track down sources , verify facts and what to look for as far as making sure its valid --not just some old cock and bull story --( one that explains how to sort fact based events from "stories" and even more important "faction" fiction based on facts (stories with bit of fact woven thru --which may or may not be true--- with properly done valid research you would soon be swamped with good leads.) -- by doing your own research you'll be better off in the long run and since you did the work you will know its good quality & that you can trust the stories and leads to be solid. ---so often buying books of leads can be very disappointing --often the "hot leads " are only rehashs of some old vague story -- or a total wild goose chase -- because the simple fact is if folks had a really hot tip on say $1 million in gold --do you think they would just write a $10 book about it and that after say 5 copies are sold ---some one finds the treasure and oh well thats it? --or do you think they would simply quietly go get it --- and then publish the "how to find it" selling thousands of copies of the book as folks search in vain for it . -- folks often have found selling books and "the dream" of finding treasure to others pays better than really going out and looking for treasure -- there's money to be made in real "treasure hunting " knowledge --- funny thing often finding it is the easy part dealing with the "offical" red tape is often harder than finding it in the first place --thus the old treasure hunters motto --keep it to yourself . ---haltz maul --(mouth shut)-- because when money is in the mix you seldom have a true freind ---be they married to you , family, kin or so called freind -- this is all to often sad but true . (and a real true friend if your so lucky as to find one is worth their weight in gold) --- Ivan

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
ivan salis said:
hows about a book that tells the nuts and bolts of how to do proper research -- a how to fnd your own "leads" type of book

Well said Ivan. You would probably be one of the best authors for such a work. :icon_study:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
thanks but I'm just a fairly smart book worm type researcher -- theres lots of much smarter folks out there who could write the book that are much more well known than I am. after all who am I? but just a guy -- I 'm no bob marx or eugene lyons or jack haskins.

OP
OP
L

landman

Apr 27, 2005
New York
Detector(s) used
DRS Ground Exper
3 Foot Probe
Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What if the "leads" were from one mans research. 60 years and 60 countries. A trained geologist, gemologist. Picking up his first MD while in the army in 1947 and detecting a stadium in Korea before any one had tried. Knows all the technologies better than us all put together. Understands the misleading so called technologies passing off as legitimate. A real pragmatist who understands human nature and the value of research and silence. Specializing in cache hunting 4-5 generation dairy farms. Someone who has a pilots license and plane. Who has rubbed shoulders with the best in the world and is probably better than them all and has never written a book for his own reasons and is now 80 years old. Has boxes and boxes of files with original information on all categories of treasure and more info on the so called treasures that you might be able to once and for all drop it or find it. What value would we place on this kind of information, provided all I've said is real, no hype and understated? Would he even consider what I'm proposing here. Don't know yet.

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
What about explaining a common thread between successful treasure hunts and hunters. Explaining the chain of events leading to successful finds. Explaining techniques, equipment, and research methods that have been consistantly successful. Methods of reasearching old shipwrecks would be helpful to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions