Pros and cons of Minelab Excalibur-how is it on hot rocks or balast rocks??

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Hi all you guys and gals I was wondering how the Minelab holds up when used underwater to search the wrecks. Especially since alot of the balast piles do have hot rocks in them, I was wondering if this metal detector does well with picking up the good stuff next to these mineralized stones?? Just curious because I live in Hawaii and has tons of hot rocks and the good stuff is usually underneath them in the water. Would love to hear your comments!! Aloha

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
If you really have a problem with hot rocks you might be better off with a pulse induction machine. They generally deal better with high mineralization levels and hot rocks than VLF detectors. There are several good underwater PI machines. The Aquapulse AQ1B and JW Fisher Pulse 8x are professional grade underwater pulse machines. If the prices scare you, most of the other big detector companies offer less costly underwater PI machines. They might be a better option for the occasional diver who hunts beaches most of the time.

Stan

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Hey Danny
I have all of these detectors for the price of the minelab (great unit) I would go with the Aquapulse for what youre up to, also the added coils and probes make it versatile for looking in holes and Oahu has many lava holes that goodies may slip into if the vessel hit the rocks, think it through plus with the surge you dont have the whole unit flapping around as much as I love the minelab the buttons could get tweaked in the surf, the Aquapulse can strap to your BC and stay out of harms, hope alls well. Later GFH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread