OP
OP
S

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Isle of Shoals - Maine and New Hampshire

G'day Boomer, Didn't know about Australia or would have been more specific. I am talking about the ones clustered around Gosport, Maine and near Rye, New Hampshire. Thanks, SS

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Need names of 1799 shipwrecks around Isle of Shoals

Are you asking about the Spanish Shipwreck during that peeriod??

OP
OP
S

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
wreck

G'day, Don't know what country it is from just the date. Thanks, SS

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436203741.667415.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436203741.667415.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 21
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436203840.799932.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436203840.799932.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 21
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436203763.161219.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436203763.161219.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 19
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435428151.995834.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435428151.995834.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 19
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435428178.909030.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435428178.909030.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 21
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434297607.755871.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434297607.755871.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 16
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434297653.695687.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434297653.695687.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 21
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434297639.605751.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434297639.605751.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 22

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
shipwreck isle of shoals 1799

I believe that the shipwreck that you are asking about is a ship named the Segunda

Attachments

• DSCN1337.JPG
    DSCN1337.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 28
  • DSCN1339.JPG
    DSCN1339.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 27
OP
OP
S

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
shipwreck information

Thank you I'll look into that ship and see if the known losses match this wreck. Best Regards, SS

C

Charles,Oak Island

Only thing I can find for Maine in 1799 was four American warships burnt on August 14th at Portland: Warren,Diligent, Hazard and Tyrannicide

OP
OP
S

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Thanks Charles. I didn't know we were at war with anyone in that year. Maybe surplus ships? ss

C

Charles,Oak Island

info was from Marx's Shipwrecks in The America's pg 146.

OP
OP
S

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Re: FRENCH THREAT LEVEL INCREASED TODAY

The French Ministy of Public Safety today announced that the terrorist threat level has been increased from "run and hide" to "surrender and collaborate". We return you now to your regularly scheduled programming. ss

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Hi SS, i was wondering if you've had any luck researching this wreck, i remember reading somewhere that the archives of both spain and portugal had been searched with no lost vessels matching the name Sagunto or segunda showing up, i beleive that info on this wreck is in a couple of books by Edward Rowe Snow. and was also the subject of a poem by Celia Thaxter

suposedly a couple of survivors had made it onto the island only to die of hypothermia within steps of a house. i don't beleive that anything was ever salvaged off this wreck as nothing remained after the storm to give a location to search, although i think there is a headstone for the foriegn sailors out on the shoals.

but i would be interested in knowing if you have learned anything in your research of the wreck or the isle of shoals. i may have names of other wrecks in that area if your interested.
Pat.

OP
OP
S

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Thanks, I read that poem and it seems like the Segunda would not fit the dates of this wreck. I'm leaning to a casualty of the Quasi War. Many ships came missing while we fought the French Revolutionary Navy. The problem is there is nothing written about this ship in this location. Perhaps I'll need to find a list of all the ships that sank from 1798 to 1800 to get a handle on it. I'm not looking for the ship. I found the ship and want to know which one it is. exanimo, ss

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
i have a book that lists many wrecks off the north east coasts, i am sure you can find a copy of it on ebay or something, i beleive that it is still in print, although i didn't see any vessels in that area for the dates that you had listed, but if you expand the dates a little or include vessel's that only have vague location's you may have some possible candidates for the wreck that you found, also it is a good reference book to have, it is titled...

"Unfinished Voyages",( a chronology of shipwrecks), maritime disasters in the northeast US from 1606 to 1956, by John Perry Fish

another couple of book's that may have the info that you are looking for are ...

"shipwrecks around New England" by william Quinn

"shipwrecks and maritime disaster's of the Maine coast" by Peter Dow Bachelder

also as a side note i beleive that an illeagal privateer vessel financed by Samual Leighton was scuttled in the area of gossport harbor around that time

i hope this info helps, let us know how you make out.

Pat.

P.S. i am in the area, so if you need a local contact or i can help in anyway please let me know.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I was just wondering what ties you down to just 1799?? Do you have some definitive proof of sinking in this year?? It would be better/easier to open up your search to a larger time span, say 1790 to 1808.? Once you have identified items that may relate to a manifest, type of ship, or name, then you would be able to narrow it down a little better.

A good example of when archives are not always right; I recently came across the wreck of a Paddle Wheel Steamer here in South Carolina that according to the records was listed as sank in North Carolina.? Obviously, that wasn't where she sank!? The records aren't always correct!

If we had more specifics, I am sure your search would be more precise!

Good Luck,

Robert in SC

OP
OP
S

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the tips lobsterman. I am not in that area and may contact you again about this when I have more details. Do you have boat and diving equipment? What is the maximum safe diving depth in that area and what months is the water warm enough to work in? No sense pursuing if it is deeper than can be worked without a submersible. How to make $500,000. First start with a $10 million dollar submarine. Yeah right. If it can't be done now I'll put on back burner until I have access to a ROV or something similar. exanimo, ss

OP
OP
S

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Hello RGecy, I am convinced that the wreck happened in 1799. there is no documentary proof of any wreck that year in that location. From the contents of the wreck it could be either a privateer or a merchant but not likely to be a military vessel. With the huge costs of recovery I need to get some sort of possibility of what it is before trying to get help in recovery. Starting from scratch it would take me a very long time to buy a boat and try the recovery by myself. Much better to find someone who already has the boat and the equipment and do a driveby. If the bells and whistles go off we recover. If they don't then we split the gas and go home. exanimo,ss

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Siegfried,
I am just amazed that you can pinpoint the year of sinking without documented proof!? I'm not trying to be condescending, just realistic!? Unless you have definate proof, you are limiting your research and creating bigger problems.? Recover some artifacts that will help you narrow down your search; Rigging, Bottles, Coins, Cannon, etc.? Come up with a time frame (if you can) from the artifacts.

Now that you found the wreck, you need to hit the books and do some research.? Not just a little, a lot!? Start with local newspapers from the area and widen your time period.? Do not rely on published books.? Even great authors make mistakes!? Use original documentation; go to the source!? Find some evidience that points to a wreck in that area and fits your characteristics. I wouldn't even consider salvage unless I know its going to be worth the effort!

Good Luck,

Robert in SC

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Hi SS, yes i have a 30' lobsterboat, i rent the dive gear, but i haven't been diving in a few years, (we trap our lobsters we do not dive for them), i'd say a max safe dive depth would be about 90' although i always limited myself to 60', i have a Fisher pulse 10 boat towed metal detector w/ 150' cord, i also have a drop camera w/100' cord, we could possibly make a few sweeps but the area's around the isle of shoals are plastered with lobster gear during the summer months, of course thats best time to dive, due mostly to water temp. but i have seen some amazing 60'+ visabilty during the winter months.

unfortunately i don't think there would be anyway to legally salvage the wreck, but we won't let that stop us ;) , as there is always a loophole in the laws ;) , and there are even many ways of making money from shipwrecks without salvaging them.

also i have heard fishermens tales of a british pay ship of sorts (Bribe money) sinking in the area, but i find it kind of hard to beleive as i have never seen any published accounts of it and i think if it were true, there would be many people around here looking for it, is that the ship that you have info on ?

but i do have to agree with Robert about doing the shoreside research first, we don't want to be chasing ghosts. and as far as an ROV goes, i think it was robert who had some some excellent info on this forum about building one without breaking the bank doing so.

Pat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions