Believe It Or Not!

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If the state's share of recovered treasure is 20% and they have 22,000 silver coins in their collection, and from what we know from the historical records....there should be a lot more silver coins on the bottom of the ocean along the Treasure Coast. :icon_pirat: ;D

Budget Solution: Plunder Florida's Booty
Expert Says State's Coins Worth $17 Million

UPDATED: 12:01 pm EDT April 11, 2008

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- With the state desperate for cash to balance its budget, a lawmaker has come up with a solution worthy of Blackbeard or Captain Kidd.

Rep. Juan Zapata wants to plunder Florida's booty.

One of the world's largest publicly owned collections of Spanish treasure -- doubloons and other coins, some gold and silver ingots and chains -- belongs to the state.

"We have some interesting goodies in the closet," said the Miami Republican. "Why not have an interesting garage sale, put them out there and see what we can get for them?"

How much the state could reap, though, is uncertain, as lawmakers struggle with a budget that is $5 billion smaller than the previous one.

One expert said Florida's 1,600 gold and 22,000 silver coins are worth at least $17 million, but state officials say the collection is priceless.

Much of it is hidden in a vault and occasionally lent to museums across the nation. The state gets up to 25 percent of treasure salvaged from shipwrecks in its waters, but the collection also includes less glamorous artifacts such as cannon balls, plates and cups.

Putting it on the auction block should be out of the question, said Ryan Wheeler, the state's chief of archaeological research.

"These are tough times, but we don't sell treasure as a Florida family," Wheeler said. "We don't sell the family Bible or grandmother's china."

Zapata's raid on the state's treasure, though, fizzled Wednesday. Unaware of exactly what the state has in its treasure chest, he offered an amendment to require selling off artifacts from one of Florida's most famous wrecks: the Nuestra Senora de Atocha, recovered off the Marquesas keys where it sank in 1622.

The problem is Florida doesn't have any Atocha booty. Salvor Mel Fisher fought efforts by the state and federal governments to seize the treasure and won his case in the U.S. Supreme Court.

When officials in the Secretary of State's office informed Zapata of that, he withdrew the amendment. They didn't tell him, though, what treasure the state does have because he didn't ask.

That has Zapata fuming.

"They're sitting on a treasure, and we didn't know about it," he said. "This is a treasure hunt right now."

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What about the states 20% share of the incredible jewelry that was found off the treasure coast? Like the gold brooch with 151 diamonds, the emeralds, the gold rings? I think former state officials have either stolen a lot or they are not telling exactly how much treasure they have hidden away! There should be much much more than $17mil worth. Especially with gold over $1,000/oz.

cpt scuba

Jul 17, 2006
only 22,000 silver coins bulllllllll i saw them collectt that many from the san jose and the san pedro

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
The public should demand an inventory and an apraisol of what is in the state's possession and just see what has been plundered, if any. I am sure all salvors have accurate records of what the state "inherited" to compare with. Sure would bring light to the state VIP's who have received artifacts and have private collections but frown on salvors who finance and do the work to recover them.

Diverlynn

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure when they do a extensive inventory of all the treasure collected and match it up with the docs from the treasure salvors.there will be alot missing an someone will have to account for it.heads are gonna roll.cant wait to see the outcome of this.just hope they dont sweep it under the carpet.the public needs to know.

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
I agree with the above statement.Seems to me that a State Rep. ought to
know what is in the states vaults.Seems a little too secretive to me.A
full investigation into funds,holdings,records,etc.would be in order.
Kind of like what went on in Alabama.Keeps everybody honest.HH Joe

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
Even if they sold it all, it wouldn't go anywhere near to solving any "budget problems"; They'd just find some other way to spend it on themselves first.
But I agree, having an audit and inventory done by a neutral party would be very interesting. On the other hand, if the politicians don't know what's there, they can't steal it either....

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
According to Craig's books on the Florida collection (copyright 2000) the state has between 22,000 and 23,000 silver spanish colonial coins and 1512 gold goins. Surely there have been more added since the book was published.

Stan

cpt scuba

Jul 17, 2006
does anyone have a freind at one of the large newspapers would make a good story how the state wants to sell what is so precious [according to all the state acheologists ]to the public to fill a drop in the bucket in the bloated budget

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Actually it was just a knuckle headed state rep that came up with selling the treasure idea. The head state archaeologist, Ryan Wheeler, was against it.

"These are tough times, but we don't sell treasure as a Florida family," Wheeler said. "We don't sell the family Bible or grandmother's china.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
There are bound to be major discrepancies in any government audit or inventory. I just have a strong feeling that the outcome of this one is going to be WAY controversial if it ever happens.

The thing that chaffs my hide the most is that the state has the power to sell or barter our artifacts to obtain other artifacts or items that it feels are in the spirit of providing a more complete depiction of our cultural heritage. I suspect this is a convenient avenue for some backroom wheeling and dealing that will never see the light of day. But then again, I've never been much of a conspiracy theorist :icon_pirat:

Pcola

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
If the state does ever sell any items for profit, it will set a president for the salvors. How can they deny salvors the right to sell treasure for gain if they do it also. Would stop some of the problems for leases I would think and the rights to carry on a commercial business.

Diverlynn

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the mean time, most of the states 20% take sits in storage in the old jail house in Tallahassee. I have heard reports that many of the artifacts have turned to dust over time from the poor environmental conditions, and can only imagine how many coins have just mysteriously disappeared into private collections of state employees.
Every Florida treasure hunter should be contacting there state representative and demanding a proper accounting of this state treasure. The state should hire an independent contractor for this.

This link will take you to your rep in both the House and Senate

http://dlis.dos.state.fl.us/fgils/government.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread