Writer seeing information about Shipwrecks & Artifacts

ep_haury

Apr 30, 2008
Writer seeing information about Shipwrecks & Artifacts

Hello, my name is Eric Haury. I am a writer of fiction. You wouldn’t have heard of anything I’ve written. But I am currently researching a new project, and some of what I need to research involves shipwrecks and salvage.

I was a bit hesitant to post to this board, since the treasure part of underwater salvage is not the focus of my research. I’m more interested in the rigging than in and bullion found. Still, a glance ant your Shipwrecks sub-board shows a generous allowance to question in the general subject of shipwrecks. And I have questions involving knives and plates, and the like, which should make my question defensible as treasure-based.

Just so you know, the story I am researching is a mermaid novel. But what I am trying to do is take mermaids as we tend to see them – fish tail, but human upper body, etc. And put those unrealistic creatures in a rigidly realistic oceanic environment. So no castles at the bottom of a sea somehow blessed with an infinite euphotic zone. And one thing I want them to do is to scavenge from human shipwrecks and also to trade with humans – keeping the artifacts underwater and thus subject them to the same conditions as items that are found in a shipwreck. Well, except that the mermaids would use the objects instead of having them only sit around collecting silt.

Basically what I want to ask you underwater Treasure hunters is how long different materials survive underwater. And also **how** they degrade. What do they look like, feel like, at different times in the process? And what would disturbing the objects and/or taking them out of the water to them? Since many of you have gone to new wrecks and old ones, you many have a sense of how things change over time. (Because the setting is the equivalent of 1700s Europe, some of the materials would be a bit archaic).
So what I want to find out about is:

—Cloths: Linen, silk, cotton, wool, canvas even, and any other pre-industrial cloth I’m not thinking of. Because, I will have one mermaid who likes to wear human clothing, how long are such clothe wearable? (I doubt many of you have tired wearing clothes found in a shipwreck, but any guesses?)

—Sacks, used to carry things when traveling.

—Wooden chests & lockboxes

—Leather

—Wood in general. Untreated by tar or treated by tar – or another preservative.

—Baskets woven form plant material, wicker etc.

—Metal in general –iron and steel --and knives in particular.

—Bottles. Not just the glass itself but the cork. Can they survive holding their original contents?

—Barrels

—Broken glass. Can

—Ceramics, dishes and cups especially.

—Rope (Non-synthetic)

—String

—Keys & locks – how long can a key and a lock be underwater before they stop working?

Also, what about the general degradation of the ship. How a ship goes down must affect how it decays, but re thee any guidelines for what decays and what falls apart first? Any good picture I could be directed to?

And finally, can you think of any objects that you commonly find in older shipwrecks that could be used as weapons/cutting tools or as containers that someone could swim with that one normally wouldn’t think of as being a cutting tool or a container?

I recognize that some of these subjects are vague. Different conditions could really effect things. One thought I have is that my mermaids will bury their precious possessions in sand by where they dwell to further protect them. So if they started in sand to begin with, this would make them last longer intrinsically (right?). Also, since this isn’t the 1700s, none of you have been to a 1700s shipwreck that was only a few years or decades old. You would have seen modern wrecks with different materials or older wrecks (like 18th century ones). Still, no everything about ships have changed.

Whatever answers you can give me from your expertise hunting for treasure in shipwrecks, If you can think of materials I have forgotten, don’t limit yourself to what I’ve asked. I would be grateful. If you have reasonable guesses based on comparable knowledge, let me know they’re guesses, but I’ll be gad to listen. If you can’t answer any question but can direct me to a person who could (and seems likely to be interested in doing so) or a relevant book or web site that a non-expert could understand, I would be grateful for that as well.

Thank you all for any help you are able to give.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Writer seeing information about Shipwrecks & Artifacts

gold will last indefinitely underwater. brass and bronze will last for centuries but can degrade in the presence of dissimilar metals. iron can last for decades or centuries if not disturbed too much. steel goes rather quickly. silver will last for centuries or longer but tends to blacken if it is near iron. copper does fairly well but again dissimilar metals cause electrolysis which degrades or eats away at the metal.

gold can be hammered into objects rather easily, so it might be cool to have them hammering gold into objects for their use and adornments. lead does very well underwater too but it too turns black in the presence of iron. hope this helps.

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida

Your mer-people's best hope for a weapon would be any small object made of bronze. About a century later than you specify, entire ships were put together with bronze pins. Look up "bronze drift pins" for more info. Even a pair of bronze dividers for navigation would make a weapon. Glass and especially ceramics wil last essentially forever, but the challenges of eating & drinking underwater would be daunting. How big are mer-people in relation to land folks?

Chip V.

OP
OP
E

ep_haury

Apr 30, 2008

First of all, thank you for what you've given me so far.

Here's a weird question. Do you think a flint hammer could beat gold, or would it have to be a metallic one?

Good to know eating is easy. I would assume that eating would be a bit easier on land though. If so, how far out of the way would you go to get out of the water to eat? Is there any type of food that is easier to eat underwater than in the air? (Mermaids don't have to worry about keeping water out of heir lungs, though. So this is all only a rough comparison.)

As far as drinking though, they don't need bottles of water. They get the water they need from the food they eat(like marine mammals) and, more important,just by opening their mouths when swimming (like fish). They can drink water from glasses if they want to, but they rarely are in a position to need to. If its possible, I might allow them to find the off bottle of wine or beer in a shipwreck. (Possible?) If so, maybe they'd drink in or out of the water.

Very interesting about GE. Do you have any sense of how much weight a typical person can carry underwater for many hours? I'm sure that wasn't the focus of the practice, but maybe your research touched on that idea.

I'm searching for those bronze pins, thank you.

Feel free to keep in coming. I should be able to scape together some swimming/diving questions, too. But only if it son;t be seen as too far off topic.

BTW, any of you live in or visited (and dived in) the English Channel Islands?

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida

Flint can definitely hammer gold. Pure gold is way soft. One of the reasons copper is added to the alloys we use is to add hardness. It might be a good idea to do this above the surface so that the viscocity of the water does not take away from the force of your blows.

Chip V.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread