ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
wreck hunting "backwards" -- the 5 W's of logic

funny thing --most folks find a wrecksite and then go to the archives try to "find out about it" -- I like working "backwards" using the "logic process" of the 5 W's --- Who did What When Where and Why ---- I go to the archives -- and using them read up on lost wrecks sorting out only those with a good amount of lost treasure onboard -- thus you have your target group of really worthwhile "treasure" vessels to hunt and thus avoid wasting valuible time , effort and money working empty plain jane "everyday cargo" vessels as you would using the other method -- (leave those "plain jane" cargo vessels for the current and future archies to play with since theres no profeit to be made in em) -- using archive data properly --you can often know the Who (wrecked) and What (they were carrying) and When (did it occur) and sometimes roughly Where (at) to look for the wreck as well as Why (did it happen) --heres my exsample from info pulled out from a letter written on Oct 24th of 1715 from the govenor of virginia (spotswood) to the british home sec (stanhope)---from the PS section on the bottom of the letter the following was info was found (Who -W#1) "a (rescue and treasure recovery) barkalonga" was sent from havana.cuba to the spanish 1715 fleet wrecksite ---(What -W#2) to pick up VIP's that lived thru the wrecks and treasure ** (humm with the VIP's going on the vessel might they have also loaded valuible "royal" jewelry items to get them away from the area before the "treasure" raiders showed up? a very good chance of that I'd say)-- (When - W#3) she must have been lost between the fleets wreck and oct 24,1715 (Why- W#4) cause of loss is unknown at this time (Where- W#5) about 40 miles northward of st augustine (nassau sound -- by using the old inlet exit in use in 1715 (the harbors changed a lot since 1715) it is 40 miles northward to nassau sound from st augustine ) -----(note --- using an additional spanish document dated oct 19th ,1715 a letter from casa torres (cuba) to the viceroy of mexico also backs the english letter --- it tells of reports coming from st augustine of "wreckage of a vessel or vessels" found on the shoreline 15 leagues ( converts to 39 miles) to the leeward (north) of this port (st augustine) and that there was feared to be no survivors -- ****which is very important since the spanish had no way to know if it was just wreckage washed ashore from a ship that broke up at sea out in deep water or a local shallow water wreck -- since there was no survivors to say where the wreck occured ---they had no ideal of where to look at - thus no salvage could be done done --- the english knew of the wrecks rough "possible" general location thru the information their spy network gathered in st augustine ( heck the english report was only 5 days later than the cuban one was -- LOL)--- another big clue was an english 1769 map of about 54 years later showing a wreck site in the area -- the only wreck site "marked" on the map and the area did not have a lot of shipping in the area pre 1769 either --so it lines up rather nicely eh? ---- (you can hunt this way on a "shoestring" budget really) because until you actually phyiscally hunt her down no actual "salvage" vessels or big money "backer" types are needed -- and once needed the sound research you've done will be the key to funding the "project" and getting them "onboard" -- Ivan

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: wreck hunting "backwards" -- the 5 W's of logic

Nice post Ivan, where are you at on your deal up there? I have also read a lot of those same letters you mention, and have always been waiting to see what you recover. Any more word from the state yet? I know you hate this idea, but you could still work with Taffi Fisher to get a salvage permit if it can be shown as being a 1715 wreck. The Fisher's are not at all bad people, and getting 40% now is better than spending the remainder of you life fighting for 80%, eh?

Best of luck with the State, you'll be the first in 12 years to get a salvage contract if you do. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I've always been rooting for you.

riobravo

Apr 2, 2006
south texas to the east coast

keep up the good work ivan, good things come to those with patience.
let me know if i can help, lots of irons in the fire, but lots of support to keep the fire burning.
gotta love those researchers 8)

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

well I've an article coming out soon --the local editor of the paper took my "story" --and is eager to publish it --however she is a through person and has "fact checked " my sources so that when the story "runs / airs" -- she can stand behind it and me 100% --she is happy that the "facts" I present are true --- and to be fair--she has asked the state why permits can not be issued , since coast renourishment dredging has occured in the area and moving sand is moving sand --thus shipwreck recovery "sand distrubance" is no worse than the sand dredging "sand distrubance" that has already ocurred in the area. -- so far to my current knowledge the state has made no attempt to answer her "questions" that she has posed -- using the good ole tried and true ---- ignore it, make no "public statement" on it , thus giving it "no press" and it'll go away on its own after awhile -- (because the folks pushing it will grow tried and the issue will die) . --- however if they do not answer soon -- I have been told the story will still "run" and then they will have to explain and "publicly" answer the "questions asked"---

while its true that the treasure in the rescue bark came from the VIP's and the "treasure" recovered from the wrecked 1715 fleet vessels --- by legal settlement mel fisher (and thus his kin) has claims to any treasure from the 1715 fleet (found in their area -- down south) --(the state of florida would say) "but" these are treasures that were "removed" from there in 1715 long "before" mel fisher found any of the 1715 wrecks --- it is treasure "removed" from those wrecksites by the spanish salvors in 1715 and loaded upon a bark not part of "the 1715 fleet" but rather a salvage and rescue vessel sent afterwards -----(thus the fisher claims legally would not "hold" for the bark sadly -- I wish they did --I would happily go in with the taffi fisher in a heartbeat to get this project up and running --asking a mere 5 % to 10% of the gross found "cut" of the pie% based upon the size of the find small find 5% (under 3 million)--big find 10% (over 3 million) -- hell I'm not greedy ---and 5% - 10 of the gross-- $5,000 to $10,000 per $100,000 on the value found to me is better than no "pie" ) being the salvors do the work and cash backing 70% to 75% them -- the state get its normal 20 to 25% thus everyone is happy ----later on the "bark" that "took" the treasure from the 1715 wreck siite -- wrecked in nassau sound --with no survivors --only wreckage found on the nearby beach in 1715 --- the wrecksite later was shown on the english 1769 map -- it shows where she lies.-- of course the 1769 map is a bit differant than a current modern day map of nassau sound --but by using an overlay of the same scale size & using common points of referance --common to both the 1769 map and modern day maps--- the exact 1769 "wreck spot" can be "found" on a modern map / sea chart -- thus thats "how I did it"---in a nut shell -- Ivan

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Map of St. Augustine, 1762

Attachments

• M052500.jpg
    M052500.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 345
OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

thanks fisheye as any of the old florida salts know the harbor of st augustine has changed quite a bit since 1715 -- thus the {"about 40 miles" measure said in spotswoods letter would be from the 1715 point of exit and points of referance in use back then rather than today --- use a set of dividers and cut from nassau sound off of talbot island a 39 -40 mile arc and you'll see it land on st augustine

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ivan,

A few years back i found this website that had a animation of the st augustine inlet on how it has changed since the early 1800's till now.i cant find the bookmark for it.it was a nice anim that showed the sandbars and the land mass changing as the years went by.some wrecks that were in the water back then may possibly on land now.buried in someones back or front yard.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

its in the LAMP (shudder) st augustime light house files--- thats the "show" item you speak of fisheye --the LAMP guys are KNOWN to be very very anti treasure hunting types --via interveiws with newspapers they clearly voiced their dislike for treasure hunters.

however their "show" of the shifting st augustine harbor shows exactly the "point" I'm trying to get across when I'm speaking of the "about 40 miles north" referance in spotswood's letter in regards to being in nassau sound (because of where the 1715 sea enterance / exit for st augustine was at vs today) -- Ivan

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ivan,

I know all about the LAMP crew and thier anti treasure hunter types.They came down to new smyrna beach after i found a wreck exposed on the beach on behalf of the state of fl archie dept to determine what year shipwreck it was.plus later on after the city of new smyrna beach hired a contractor to clean up the beach(they cleaned up the remaining wreck pieces too)they came down to supervise the removal of the remains of the car ramp as not to disturb any more shipwreck remains.the 3rd ave wreck made it on the states master site list.too bad the beach remains ended up in the dump.everytime i talk to the archies in talahassel i ask them if they ever did anything to the city or the contractors for destroying a historical site.they say they are looking into it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread