Nuestra Señora de Atocha Coordinates?***Sterncastle Update***

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Re: Nuestra Señora de Atocha Coordinates?

That's not really something that should be posted. Don't need the folks with a scuba tank and slippery fingers heading out to someone elses hard earned site.

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok, I didn't realize people would be slipping out there or that it was not common knowledge...thanks. :icon_sunny:

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's a matter of public record: 24 degrees 31.5 feet North Latitude and 82 degrees 20 feet West Longitude

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you very much wreckdiver1715, I appreciate it. :coffee2:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

the sites owned by mel fishers kin folks thus its protected by law -- dive on it and you risk being shot at as a theif / pirate and at the very least arrrested (rightfully so I might add.) -- mel fought like a dog for his wreck . google earth looking is ok but a in person go --nope--private property* invite only ----cuz "pirates aren't a "thing" of the past" sadly . Ivan

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ivan; you are absolutely correct, and the same goes for all the protected wreck sites and recovery leases that exist along our coast. However, Red Desert was only wanting to google earth the location.

Tom

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

oh I know -- that why the freindly tone I used --reds ok by me no problem --just a word to the wize just cuz you got the cords of a wreck site -don't give you the ok to go poking round other folks wreck site --(no more than "knowing" a persons address gives you the right to go on their land ---most folks would not be fool enough to try that but mix in water and wreck and folks don't think that way)--- while it might be "innocent" looking around on your part -- the site owners might think differantly and it can be dangeroous and a lot of trouble unless you get the ok first --otherwize you'll be tagged as a "looter" ---not good

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

I can't fault the guy for wanting to know where it was either. I was also curious to know the approximate location in relation to the geography of the Keys and just used the published cooridnates. I never had any intention of looting someone else's loot either.

Pcola

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

well as a aid to assist in reasearch cords like that are great --- by using old reports of where the vessels wrecked and where they finally landed at -- you might be able to form an ideal of her "drift line" --- thus drawing ideas on other possible wrecks site from other vessels in the area that were with the fleet if "drift pattern" holds true say if two similar type vessels were close together at the time in roughly the same place of wrecking --might they not "travel" in the same basic direction driven by the same wind & wave conditions with one maybe sinking farther away or closer to the original "impact" wreck site than the other due to greater or lesser hull damage? sinking somewhere along the "drift line"? "x" impact zone ---------(wind & waves)----- Atocha------other vessel- or "x" -------other vessel ----- Atocha ---- plus thus there are legit reasons to want to know its final rest place cord wize --- yes indeed -- the Atocha spilled her guts so to speak over a long trail -- the fishers only have so big a claim --- I'm sure there were items that fell out of the Atocha between the impact zone "x" and her final resting spot "y" no doubt --- and along that "drift line" is a treasure dribble trail no doubt --- Ivan

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm a bit surprised we / members, would pass on coordinates of a claimed site, not to mention posted on public forum for the whole world to see
I realize its public information but do we need to post said info for the world to see.
Sorry if I seem to be a bit sensitive

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wreckdiver1715 said:
Ivan; you are absolutely correct, and the same goes for all the protected wreck sites and recovery leases that exist along our coast. However, Red Desert was only wanting to google earth the location.

Tom

I don't dive...don't have any boat, in fact I've never gone scuba diving. I came here from the TNet dowsing board because I'm testing out something new in Google Earth. I have a post here on it.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,159875.0.html

Besides, there is something NE of the Atocha, not sure if it is another ship or a part of one...just wanted to make sure I had the right place. Only wanted something for practice, not really planning on posting anything for it.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

I have often used google earth as a research tool to scan shallow water areas near the coastline to scour for wrecks -(many of the wrecks are less than 30 feet deep)--the bright sunlight hitting the white sand in shallow water often backlights the "wreck area"making it show up as a "dark spot" and making them stand out --yes it works--- :wink: :D ;D :D :wink:---Ivan

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

bradyboy said:
I'm a bit surprised we / members, would pass on coordinates of a claimed site, not to mention posted on public forum for the whole world to see
I realize its public information but do we need to post said info for the world to see.
Sorry if I seem to be a bit sensitive

I don't think you're being too sensitive...your objections are very reasonable. I think the main point is that the location is far from secret anymore and that given its high profile, I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to encroach on the site knowingly.

Pcola

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
I have often used google earth as a research tool to scan shallow water areas near the coastline to scour for wrecks -(many of the wrecks are less than 30 feet deep)--the bright sunlight hitting the white sand in shallow water often backlights the "wreck area" making it show up as a "dark spot" and making them stand out --yes it works--- :wink: :D ;D :D :wink:---Ivan

Ok, I was surprised to be able to see any sites from GE...I did all the dowsing work first and all those spots where place marks (my post link above) were marked with pen on a paper GE map before taking a look up close. It was a test, but had no idea the sites in shallow water actually could show up. I've only looked at 2 areas, so have no idea what the others look like yet. Since it seems to be working for me...that is really enough confirmation and feedback for me. Again thanks for your help...much appreciated. :icon_sunny:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

if a method works for me thats all the "proof" I need -- my car engine runs -- I don't know everything about "how"it does it but then again I really don't need to --that the machenics job --- you can overthink things

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The maps.live.com (Virtual Earth by Microsoft) and Google are also joined by Yahoo and NASA with meter accurate photogrammetry... well not the NASA stuff... its very small scale compared to the others which are shot from airplanes instead of satellites. Even Ask.com had hosted aerials for a while. Goto http://signumops.com/wreckmash.htm and you will see a list of some wrecksites which you can pick to observe in the Flash Earth mashup built by Paul Neave. If you pick the Cabin Wreck, Flash Earth will open using the Google Maps aerial and the centerpoint will fall on top of the Gold Hound boat directly in front of the original cabin site. To the south you can see the Lobster Man and to the N.E. you can see the C-25 boat. All three of us were digging on the Cabin Wreck at the time. You can also switch photo servers here using Yahoo or Microsoft and get different photography of differing quality. All told, the Flash Earth utility is extremely useful while shipwreck hunting nearshore.

As for the comments regarding Atocha locations specifically, they are public records generally, otherwise, how would the lease holder expect to protect their boundaries (?) Enforcement authorities can not act without specifics. That is, WHEN they choose to act. You can bet that the Fisher's have never received any official aid or assistance from either the Feds or Florida when it came to claim-jumpers at the Atocha, and probably little or none with regards to the leases they hold along the Spacecoast and Treasurecoast area.

Also, consider that, today, using WAAS GPS or DGPS, one only needs to pass within a quarter mile of an anchored vessel and use a laser pinger to determine a distance from your own GPS fix. That coupled with a bearing from a hand bearing compass will provide everything necessary to plot another vessel's position with great accuracy... accuracy great enough to permit you to setup your own vessel at the earliest opportunity at that same exact location. We are not talking about expensive equipment here, and the same thing can be done from shore in many instances. This position fixing is, by the way, exactly what the Florida State Archaeologists are supposed to be doing, but, I have not seen any of them visiting any of the Fisher leases over the last 6 years. At any rate, if they have been gathering this information with any regularity, I believe that it would be public information under Chapter 119. No matter, you can bet they have not exhausted a penny in such an effort.

I've read with some interest the remarks dealing with Cape locales I discussed in "The Rainbow Chasers" book I did with Tommy Gore and I would like to tell all my readers that I could give you the exact locations, but, you can never dig there because others have tried and were quashed by the Corp of Engineers, the Dept. of Natural Resources and the National Park Service. Randy Lathrop comes to mind instantly. About the only way you will ever find any of this stuff is by riding into these locations on horseback during a raging storm and then, you will have to be looking with your bare eyeballs, because you can't have a metal detector inside the park boundaries. For that matter, most of these locations are completely off limits to anybody anyway unless you have a hiking permit. If you are wealthy, you can enjoy looking at these places from your own airplane, or vis a vis Flash Earth. Good Luck! If I thought there was enough interest, I would compile another small book giving up some of the rumored sites along with the known federally registered sites inside of the Cape property. That's probably worth doing, because, after they bury me, who else would go to the trouble ?

Incidentally, while I am thinking about it, Ray Osbourne is publishing a new volume this month about the history of the Cape Canaveal area and I think its one of the "Images of America" series by Arcadia Press. I sent him some treasure related notes which he may include (I have not seen the book yet).

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, I agree ivan salis...if something works for you, don't have to understand everything, just use it. Nice to see the divers stay active in their board, take a lot of interest in the scuba and shipwreck hobby.

That all is very interesting signumops, I've noticed there are parks around these shipwreck areas.

I have used Search TerraServer for land...
http://terraserver-usa.com/address.aspx

Some places on land, such as sites around San Saba, Texas where I was looking at recently...aerial photos one spot went in a couple times closer than the topo maps. I use Google maps too...I don't have a GPS unit yet, I look at posts telling which ones are best. So, you write books, that sounds neat. :coffee2:

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Yeah Red, Terry is quite the author, and when you combine his writing skills with Tommy Gore's vast knowledge of shipwrecks in Florida, you get an excellent book. If you have any interest in shipwrecks, grab a copy, you won't be disappointed.

Here's a test for you, the Fisher famiy has found the "mother load" of the Atocha, but it was only part of the ship. Somewhere near the Atocha coordinates above, there is another part of her in the form of a pile of gold and silver. Why don't you try to "see" where it is using your technique, and we'll see if you're right when they find it. I think they will run into it within the next year or two. Admittedly, I'm slightly skeptical about the art, but here's an easy chance to prove me wrong. :D

Jason

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ScubaFinder said:
Yeah Red, Terry is quite the author, and when you combine his writing skills with Tommy Gore's vast knowledge of shipwrecks in Florida, you get an excellent book. If you have any interest in shipwrecks, grab a copy, you won't be disappointed.

Here's a test for you, the Fisher famiy has found the "mother load" of the Atocha, but it was only part of the ship. Somewhere near the Atocha coordinates above, there is another part of her in the form of a pile of gold and silver. Why don't you try to "see" where it is using your technique, and we'll see if you're right when they find it. I think they will run into it within the next year or two. Admittedly, I'm slightly skeptical about the art, but here's an easy chance to prove me wrong. :D

Jason

Ok, when I get time...was gone for the weekend, just back now. Yes, I've read about that. I was at the Fisher site recently and read the history of the Atocha disaster story...quite interesting. I believe it was the cabin? Anyway, some valuable things were stored there. I'll post the result here when done. I don't see any point in using that other board for it...this is about shipwrecks...it would be really neat for them to find the missing part of Atocha. One question, how big of an area would I need to cover around the coordinates? The Fisher site mentioned later another hurricane scattered some of the wreck to places farther away. Just some idea...miles? feet? Seems like 50-55 ft deep water might keep stuff rather close...but if it was swept shallower, maybe farther.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread