Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    us
    Feb 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; L-Rods
    194 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Nuestra Seņora de Atocha Coordinates?***Sterncastle Update***

Does anyone know the coordinates for the Nuestra Seņora de Atocha, so that I can take a look at it in Google Earth?
    Treasure hunting is more than "just a hobby" for it's become my way of life.

Dec 2007
    Culdesac, Idaho
    61 times

Re: Nuestra Seņora de Atocha Coordinates?

That's not really something that should be posted. Don't need the folks with a scuba tank and slippery fingers heading out to someone elses hard earned site.

us
    Feb 2008
    Northern Indiana
    194 times

Ok, I didn't realize people would be slipping out there or that it was not common knowledge...thanks.

Charter Member
    pa
    Pirate of the Ays

May 2004
    Panama
    Minelab Excal 1000
    65 times

It's a matter of public record: 24 degrees 31.5 feet North Latitude and 82 degrees 20 feet West Longitude

us
    Feb 2008
    Northern Indiana
    194 times

Thank you very much wreckdiver1715, I appreciate it.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    765 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

the sites owned by mel fishers kin folks thus its protected by law -- dive on it and you risk being shot at as a theif / pirate and at the very least arrrested (rightfully so I might add.) -- mel fought like a dog for his wreck . google earth looking is ok but a in person go --nope--private property* invite only ----cuz "pirates aren't a "thing" of the past" sadly . Ivan

Charter Member
    pa
    Pirate of the Ays

May 2004
    Panama
    Minelab Excal 1000
    65 times

Ivan; you are absolutely correct, and the same goes for all the protected wreck sites and recovery leases that exist along our coast. However, Red Desert was only wanting to google earth the location.

Tom

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    765 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

oh I know -- that why the freindly tone I used --reds ok by me no problem --just a word to the wize just cuz you got the cords of a wreck site -don't give you the ok to go poking round other folks wreck site --(no more than "knowing" a persons address gives you the right to go on their land ---most folks would not be fool enough to try that but mix in water and wreck and folks don't think that way)--- while it might be "innocent" looking around on your part -- the site owners might think differantly and it can be dangeroous and a lot of trouble unless you get the ok first --otherwize you'll be tagged as a "looter" ---not good

us
    Sep 2006
    Pensacola, Fl
    Minelab Explorer XS
    3 times

I can't fault the guy for wanting to know where it was either. I was also curious to know the approximate location in relation to the geography of the Keys and just used the published cooridnates. I never had any intention of looting someone else's loot either.

Pcola

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    765 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

well as a aid to assist in reasearch cords like that are great --- by using old reports of where the vessels wrecked and where they finally landed at -- you might be able to form an ideal of her "drift line" --- thus drawing ideas on other possible wrecks site from other vessels in the area that were with the fleet if "drift pattern" holds true say if two similar type vessels were close together at the time in roughly the same place of wrecking --might they not "travel" in the same basic direction driven by the same wind & wave conditions with one maybe sinking farther away or closer to the original "impact" wreck site than the other due to greater or lesser hull damage? sinking somewhere along the "drift line"? "x" impact zone ---------(wind & waves)----- Atocha------other vessel- or "x" -------other vessel ----- Atocha ---- plus thus there are legit reasons to want to know its final rest place cord wize --- yes indeed -- the Atocha spilled her guts so to speak over a long trail -- the fishers only have so big a claim --- I'm sure there were items that fell out of the Atocha between the impact zone "x" and her final resting spot "y" no doubt --- and along that "drift line" is a treasure dribble trail no doubt --- Ivan

Apr 2007
    Clearwater, FL
    42 times

I'm a bit surprised we / members, would pass on coordinates of a claimed site, not to mention posted on public forum for the whole world to see
    I realize its public information but do we need to post said info for the world to see.
    Sorry if I seem to be a bit sensitive

us
    Feb 2008
    Northern Indiana
    194 times

Quote Originally Posted by wreckdiver1715
    Ivan; you are absolutely correct, and the same goes for all the protected wreck sites and recovery leases that exist along our coast. However, Red Desert was only wanting to google earth the location.

Tom
    I don't dive...don't have any boat, in fact I've never gone scuba diving. I came here from the TNet dowsing board because I'm testing out something new in Google Earth. I have a post here on it.
    http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...,159875.0.html

Besides, there is something NE of the Atocha, not sure if it is another ship or a part of one...just wanted to make sure I had the right place. Only wanted something for practice, not really planning on posting anything for it.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    765 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I have often used google earth as a research tool to scan shallow water areas near the coastline to scour for wrecks -(many of the wrecks are less than 30 feet deep)--the bright sunlight hitting the white sand in shallow water often backlights the "wreck area"making it show up as a "dark spot" and making them stand out --yes it works--- ---Ivan

us
    Sep 2006
    Pensacola, Fl
    Minelab Explorer XS
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by bradyboy
    I'm a bit surprised we / members, would pass on coordinates of a claimed site, not to mention posted on public forum for the whole world to see
    I realize its public information but do we need to post said info for the world to see.
    Sorry if I seem to be a bit sensitive
    I don't think you're being too sensitive...your objections are very reasonable. I think the main point is that the location is far from secret anymore and that given its high profile, I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to encroach on the site knowingly.

Pcola

us
    Feb 2008
    Northern Indiana
    194 times

Quote Originally Posted by ivan salis
    I have often used google earth as a research tool to scan shallow water areas near the coastline to scour for wrecks -(many of the wrecks are less than 30 feet deep)--the bright sunlight hitting the white sand in shallow water often backlights the "wreck area" making it show up as a "dark spot" and making them stand out --yes it works--- ---Ivan
    Ok, I was surprised to be able to see any sites from GE...I did all the dowsing work first and all those spots where place marks (my post link above) were marked with pen on a paper GE map before taking a look up close. It was a test, but had no idea the sites in shallow water actually could show up. I've only looked at 2 areas, so have no idea what the others look like yet. Since it seems to be working for me...that is really enough confirmation and feedback for me. Again thanks for your help...much appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors