Spanish Wreck from Space

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Ok the subject sounded a bit weird but it really kinda falls in line with some discussion that was going on regarding the Atocha Coordinates where the guy wondered if it were visible on Satellite imaging sites.

Well I thought some of you may be interested in seeing a genuine 18th century Spanish wreck site using Virtual Earth. The wreck is of the Nuestra Señora del Rosario y Sanitago Apostol that sank during a hurricane in Pensacola Bay in 1705. This vessel was an older frigate that was built in Veracruz thirty years previously. She was moored by 5 anchors during the storm and all gave way sending her smashing into shallows and breaking in two pieces. This wreck site is believed to be only the forward 2/3 of the ship while the stern section has yet to be found. Ok here's a cropped picture of the wreck using Microsoft Virtual Earth in Bird's Eye mode:

rosario.jpg
This view has South at the top and North at the bottom. You can just see the coastline of Santa Rosa Island in this shot.

Here's the direct link to the site if you want to pan around and what not:
http://maps.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.p1n5xd7qt1xc_Nuestra Senora de Rosario y Apostol____&encType=1

The exposed portions of the wreck site is essentially a mountain of ballast rock. The site was explored by the University of West Florida Underwater Archaeology group and when they were done, they backfilled the site, covered the very well preserved hull remains with a tarp, and backfilled again with more sand and ballast stone. The ballast stone mound begins at around 9 feet and continues down a fairly steep drop off to about 35 feet of water. The site is much larger than the photograph reveals.

I guess my point in posting this is that a good knowledge of what the normal bottom terrain in your waters are is essential in spotting something that shouldnt be there. Since there are no natural rock formations in our bay waters, a big pile of dark objects is one of two things: a turtlegrass bed or a manmade object(s).

Pcola

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Pcola,

Great post! Its hard to tell what a shipwreck site is going to look like from the air. You never know what those dark spots in the water may be!!!

RGecy

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Hey pcola ,Thanks for the post..Rgecy is right about most of them.But if the water is as clear as it is around pensacola,sometimes you can zoom in on some from the house..Get ya close, i have found a few but not sure i want to post them. Maybe just 1 , this one is about a 1 /2 mile from that one..

Attachments

• ship 6.jpg
    ship 6.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 710
OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Relic,

We'll definitely check that area out to make sure - Saturday?

Here are some additional sites I found with aerials alone and have actually dived on them to confirm what they are. I've got literally several dozen others to check out (ground truth).

When you open the link, you'll see that many of these sites are very widespread all over Pensacola and East Bays. Be sure to view them on Bird's Eye mode.
http://maps.live.com/?v=2&encType=1&cid=488C49F48F9EC2C2!235

Pcola

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Now that is cool..Im ready,i think its a english brigantine.From what i can see and the size..Like this. It would make since the royal navy was right at the spot 1770s..See what you can dig up on british fort halfmoon..I have only seen it talked about in one book and dont remember where.. But im sure i know what area they are talking about..What a nice safe harbor, 100ft tall bluff to protect you from the gulf winds/ storms..I bet it was so nice :wink: Still is,and packed with so many ships in a hurricane..

Attachments

• EnglishBrigantine.jpg
    EnglishBrigantine.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 673
OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
RELICDUDE07 said:
Now that is cool..Im ready,i think its a english brigantine.From what i can see and the size..Like this. It would make since the royal navy was right at the spot 1770s..See what you can dig up on british fort halfmoon..I have only seen it talked about in one book and dont remember where.. But im sure i know what area they are talking about..What a nice safe harbor, 100ft tall bluff to protect you from the gulf winds/ storms..I bet it was so nice :wink: Still is,and packed with so many ships in a hurricane..

Relic,

The site you have highlighted off Town Point was dredged out by UWF's underwater archaeology department two years ago. They must have gotten a big magnetometer reading there to go through all the trouble of dredging it. I'm not aware of what they may have found since they are so freakin' secretive about everything - even though our tax dollars are helping to fund their damned projects :icon_scratch: I did sidescan that area and did see some debris of some sort. I guess I just need to dive it.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I use sat views all the time to scan the near shore waters in known light sand bottom areas here in florida -- as you say pcola what does not belong there stands out like a sore thumb --- ship wrecks are "back lit" as a dark spots on the light sand bottom -- once found check the nearby beaches for ballast stone bits that wash ashore (florida is not rocky hint hint) to confirm your hunches -- look for odd bit items -- sheathing lead is early spanish treasure vessels type -- copper is later on but still worth looking at often . bronze spikes / nails too Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread