ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know if you try and sell it the ATF will show up at your doorstep, place of employment, grocery, meeting hall, and elsewhere unannounced.

Heck you might even get a courtesy visit solely based on this post.

Seriously they are not playing around with things like this any more, I've met some people that have had "chats" with them recently. Not to mention if it's still a live round, it isn't something you really want to inherit the liability to.

P.S. They also frown on bits and pieces of government property.

Sorry for the buzzkill, I'd just hate to see you meet the folks this guy did.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Brad, is this why the little white vans were parked outside your place last week?

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, these guys usually roll in full size vehicles with a preference for GMC's in leau of your standard Crown Vic with the police package. No mini vans, I think the postal workers wound up with the minivans, hence the job satisfaction and worker safety issues amongst them.

OP
OP
A

abyss_explorer

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2008
Thanks Scubadude.

I had no idea the ATF would even care. Thanks for the info. What is their concern about? Yes, I have been worried about it being live. It is in good condition and I took extra precautions. I figured after sitting in seawater for 66 years the powder would be ruined, of course that is assuming the seal was not completely water tight the entire time.

Is it illegal to be in posetion of this shell?

Thanks for your knowledge.

abyss

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
Darren in NC said:
Brad, is this why the little white vans were parked outside your place last week?

Yes, especially be on the lookout for vans in the neighborhood marked "Flowers By Irene" and "Abe's Tile & Floor".... :D

But seriously, (if it were me) I'd notify the local police and let the bomb squad dispose of it. You never know if the proximity fuse in the shell has been getting a little touchy after all those years....

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
any chance of posting or emailing a picture? I came across something similar, I think, many yers ago and am curious as to similarities.

Also, for the record, I have no cnnections, nor am part of any of the aformentioned federal departments or clubs.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
abyss_explorer,

Hang onto that shell,you may need it for the revolution when fuel prices get up to $10 a gallon.Leep it in a safe place till you really need it.

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
does it like like this? Not sure of course what "this" is.

Attachments

• tube.jpg
    tube.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 298

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread