Underwater Spanish Forts-Picolata and Francis de Pupo

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I know this may not be in the correct subject area, but I figured hey its underwater now so it is somewhat like a shipwreck...

Does anyone know of any succesful excavations of these sunken forts?

Some Arch students from FU checked out the site and did not find anything, but concluded, the river had washed over....Im wondering if they were wrong or right? Historical markers are on each side of the St. Johns, marking the most narrow path..The spanish had these small forts on each side to "try" to stop the British...of course with no success..these forts were abandoned and taken over at one time by oglethorpe.

Checkout the article

http://www.anthro.fsu.edu/research/uw/research/picolata.html

Larry

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Underwater Spanish Fort-Picolata

You might find the fort on land now.The st johns river level is down by at least 5-6 foot.Since seminole county is now sucking water out of the river for drinking water it will go down alot faster.

Silvestri

Apr 29, 2006
suncoast sw florida
Detector(s) used
eyes in my head for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I remember when i first got on here in 2006 someone had mentioned finding a a fairly large Spanish encampment and shipwreck on Black creek around the confluence with the St John...does anybody kno what I am talking about? I cant remember the details exactly but would like to...at this stage in my studies...

scottone928

Jun 9, 2007
Green Cove Springs, Fl

Silvestri said:
I remember when i first got on here in 2006 someone had mentioned finding a a fairly large Spanish encampment and shipwreck on Black creek around the confluence with the St John...does anybody kno what I am talking about? I cant remember the details exactly but would like to...at this stage in my studies...

Interesting, I never heard of that. I live in a subdivision at the mouth of Black Creek and the St. Johns. I know of a big Indian villiage that was in the area, I think is was called Welusta. Also there was a fort at the North and South prongs in Black Creek called Fort Helm.

OP
OP
Larsmed

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
It was called fort heilman..You can find old coins at the location as well as relics..

Larry

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
jwerzt

Welcome to the shipwreck forum!!!......Interesting article, googd reading.....Thanks for sharing......Looking forward to read more of your post's.....

Larsmed,

Interesting site.....Is that a State park? Can you metal detect tha area? It would make a great hunting site!!!!!

All the best,

Chagy......

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Wow it's amazing that such a large ship could get up such a narrow portion of the creek. Was there a timber/lumber operation at the head of the creek or something?

OP
OP
Larsmed

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
The sites are old forts...more like tiny shacks the spanish had the narrowest part of the st johns to catch British ships.

General moor raided these forts with little resistance...muskets and 8 pounder cannons were taken.

There was an attempted excavation on one of them...there pretty much underwater as the water has risen since then..

As for the st johns there is a confederate steamer wreck after hitting amine. the ma[le leaf.

larry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread