British sloop of war supplies

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
What supplies would a british sloop of war have on board around the late 1780s'. How many cannon? Cannon balls? How did they resupply? Did they carry gold or silver to buy supplies? If so would it be coins or other form? What about Pewter items? Any info as to where I can find out about a lesser known sloop of war of the Royal Navy? This ship has no major historical significance so it's hard to find out any info on it. All I can tell is it was an insignificant british war ship that sank. There were some survivors but no one of importance. Help please, bell47

SimonLakeSub

Dec 6, 2006
Bell ,,,, Try to get your hands on a book called " The wooden Fighting Ship " In The Royal Navy AD 897 - 1860 By E.H.H. Archibald. This book will answer a lot of your questions.

Regards Simon......

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
You may want to try the National Archives of the UK: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

I also sought information on a relatively unknown British warship from the Revolutionary War period. I was able to find records of Admiralty proceedings regarding this ship that gave me quite a bit of insight.

Worth a try.

Pcola

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread