Looking for info on salvaged shipwreck wood (long)

Woodwrite

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2008
Milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Hi All,
I am not a diver, I stick to solid ground, so I am looking a source for some wood to try something.
I am looking for wood from OLD sunken ships. I am a penmaker, and I am working on making pens from "wood with a story". I have made pens with wood from the Atlantic City Boardwalk, a tree that Robert Frost wrote a poem about, a broken MLB bat, and barrel staves from Jack Daniels whiskey.
I am looking for a small amount of LEGALLY obtained wood from shipwrecks to see if I can stabilize it enough to turn it into a pen. The type of wood does not matter: decks, rail, hull, cannon cradle..... All I need for a test run is a piece 1 inch square by 5 1/2 inches long. If you have info on the ship it comes from, all the better.
If you have what I am looking for, please let me know how much you want for it and we'll see what we can work out. If my idea works, and the wood is useable, it may turn into an ongoing thing.
Any help in this project would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
Hi Bud=
I will send you a chunk of worm hole wood from the 1715 Nieves shipwreck site, if you want it. I sent a hunk to 'ol Pegleg too, if you remember him. His hunk had a square bronze spike in it. I don't think a spike will be good for your pen plans, right? Let me know what you think...I'll be happy to provide you the piece of wood...I've got several pieces but only one more with a square spike.
Mike

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mel Fisher had some pens made from 1715 fleet silver and they sold very well. You can find shipwreck wood by walking the right beaches after a storm too...but I wouldn't recommend that anyone go out to a known shipwreck and start removing wood for pens. The conservation of wood is a lengthy one, and it generally remains very brittle after the conservation is done, so I'm not sure it is practical for your use, but that is a neat idea.

Good luck! Maybe try contacting the Fisher museum in Sebastian, FL and talk to Bill Moore, he knows the conservation well, and may know of some sources for legally obtained shipwreck wood.

Jason

OP
OP
W

Woodwrite

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2008
Milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
ScubaFinder said:
You can find shipwreck wood by walking the right beaches after a storm too...
Pretty LOOOOOOONG walk from Milwaukee ;D
But I do appreciate the heads up on who to talk to in Mels group.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
:D i guess it would be. I hope you hear good news, but I also know that the state and most divers really frown on wood being removed or even excavated at shipwreck sites, so it may not be available in any quantity. It might be a really limited edition. :D

Best of luck.

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
Hey Jason-
Funny story 'bout the Nieves chunk of wood...
I found it saturated with watwr (naturally) and it had two square spikes in it...I put it on my dock to dry a little before I decided what to do with it from there.
Later I looked outside and the freakin pit bull from the neighbors was rolling around on the dock chewing it up!~ I ran him off, but he did a pretty thorough job chewing. I was furious, but...now I've got half and the other half went to ol Pegleg.
By the way, on current topics...I sent a pretty good E-mail to the State site regarding the proposed changes.
I really hope it goes well...
Mike

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Is that what you tell the archaeologists too? My dog ate the artifact. :D I remember when you sent that to Peg, you're a stand up guy Mike. I'm sure Ivan and I will both have reports to post after the meeting, thanks for taking the time to voice your opinion.

Jason

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
Hi Woodwrite,
Really cool idea. You have given me a couple of ideas here (Not trying to steal yours though). The stabilization process for wood that has been submerged for a long period of time is time-consuming and expensive. For example, the last time I brought up a small piece of wood from a 200 year old wreck it disintegrated within minutes (Note: Legally obtained sample from a 200 year old wreck).

I have to wonder about the feasibility of making pens out of old ship wood. The reason being, that even once stabilized, the wood requires retreatment after a period of time to maintain its condition in "stasis" in order to prevent further deterioration. Is that something the buyers of pens would be willing to submit their writing instruments too?

Not an expert on conservation of old wood (an amatuer with some experience though) and am just throwing out ideas for consideration.
Regards,
Mike

OP
OP
W

Woodwrite

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2008
Milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Mike,
Maybe "stabilization" is the wrong word, what would happen is it would be cast in a clear plastic resin thereby basically turning it INTO plastic and allowing me to turn it as I would any other cast blank.
When wood or any other soft, porous, or frail item is cast, it becomes pretty much impervious to any further deterioration.

Sooooo, if anyone has any wood they would be willing to part with for a prototype, PLEASE contact me. I am not looking for a freebie, I will gladly pay a fair price OR trade for one of my custom pens.

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006
wreckvalle said:
Would be more than happy to send you some shipwreck wood. I have some crate ends from the Iberia wreck as well as an assortment from other wrecks. Please just send me a e-mail with your address. If it works out you can send me one of the finished pens. Otherwise no charge.

http://www.aquaexplorers.com/Iberia.htm

Best of luck
Capt. Dan
http://www.aquaexplorers.com/

Ron,
Packed up a pc of cargo crate from the Iberia wreck and a couple brass spikes from the Black Warrior. I have attached a couple links below for the history of each wreck.

Iberia http://www.aquaexplorers.com/Iberia.htm
Black Warrior http://www.aquaexplorers.com/BlackWarrior.htm

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Sincerely,
Capt. Dan

OP
OP
W

Woodwrite

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2008
Milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Dan,
Got the package today, will get started on cuttin' -n- castin' this week.
Should work out great. Will keep you posted.
Thanks,
Ron

OP
OP
W

Woodwrite

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2008
Milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Got a couple pieces cut and started on stabilization, there is some AMAZING color coming out from all the minerals and cr@# that was absorbed over the years. I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you see your pens.
L8R
Ron

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006
Ron,

Sounds good. Let me know the cost for two additional pens. Would love to give them to my crew.

Do you want me to collect a variety of samples from other wrecks?

Do you have a website? If so I can place an image of the finished pen on the wreck info page with a link to your site. (just a thought)

Sincerely,
Capt. Dan Berg
http://www.aquaexplorers.com

OP
OP
W

Woodwrite

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2008
Milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
wreckvalle said:
Do you want me to collect a variety of samples from other wrecks?

Dan,
Let me get the first one done to see how it works out,  I am waiting on my lathe to come back from repair later this week, and the wood is still in the stabilizing goop for a couple more days. But, things ARE looking positive.

WWW.THEWOODWRITESHOP.COM

OP
OP
W

Woodwrite

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2008
Milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
First pen from the wood

Dan,
Got the 1st pen done from the wood you sent, came out great! Will get it in the mail to you this week.

Attachments

• Iberia1.jpg
    Iberia1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 754

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread