Recent dredge puts iron/pottery on the island!!!

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
pcolaboy said:
Chagy,

I agree that the mark does look like a Maradevi but did you notice the assayer's notch? Would assayers notch out a copper coin? Just curious. Relicdude is on the case!!! And I'm gonna be on his rear! ;D

Pcola

Assayer's notch? I think that is the date 1658

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Thanks chagy for the help.Did you see the back of the lock? this 1658 doesnt fit with the trade good time line ,but does fit with the pirates at massacre island timeline,not far from this place...Pirate degraffe :D Im going to find his loot :D :D :D :D

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I believe the coin is a Philip PVS REX 1658 Cooper Maravedi....

Dude...I cant see well the mark on the land map..sorry..maybe closer pic will help

What is the mark on the back of the lock plate? "M" or "IvI"

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dude was this stuff found in the same site?

Attachments

• relic findings.jpg
    relic findings.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 867

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
maybe even TvT..right?

Are you talking about the marks around the land map (the ones out side of the map)?

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
I think your right TvT. Just one on the right side at the upper tip of the land on this spanish land grant..Its the only one like it on the map...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well if you clean copper and silver in the same liquid using electrosis --some of the copper can and will transfer on to the silver in effect "copper plating" it :o :o ---- using the same liquid that earlier had copper in it could also cause similar "coating effect" due to any slight amount of dissolved copper in the liquid . ---thats why you never tumble or electrosis silver and copper items together .

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dude are you sure those are symbols in the map....they kinda look like letters to me...the one you are asking me to ID looks like a "P"....right?

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Thanks ivan i saved it too my favorites.I think it may have been the spoon i used ,it was a cheap spoon and all the plate coating was off when i was done....Im going to take and have it tested for silver....But it does look like copper, kinda pink in color...

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
I think your right chagy.It looks like a -A at the bottom and maybe a P at the top like you said....Im searching for a watch tower at the area that they would use to spot ships in the gulf,in the old days....I think they were up to something/ smugglers at this place. Pirates :icon_pirat: its a good place to hide and still very secluded today.....Way away from the spanish forts in the downtown area....What is allthe creeks at the end?Its not made by digging out.Its all un buildable land,its in the sawgrass.Would a saw mill have dug out creeks like this,or would the indians do this for some reason.....

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
uh relic if it was copper and you used a el cheapo plated spoon --you just in effect plated the coin with the plating off the el cheapo spoon --thats why you always use a stainless steel item (spoon/ knife) --no transfer of metals that way ---also never co mingle copper and any other metal in a tumbler or electrosis --leeching (transfer of copper on to other metals or vs virsa can occur and often does screwing up your stuff ) --Ivan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yes indains made canals for fish trapping and travel reasons . it was easy to trap and net fish in the shallow canals -- its like an old form of modern fish farming if you think of it that way. you pen them up in a area and take what you need --switching spots from time to time as needed.--- it saves a lot of time and effort in the long run since you just go and net dinner in the canal rather than having to hunt them down in the open ocean and it helps to insure a "close by" easy to get to steady food supply too.

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
You guys are good at this ;D I was thinking that, but wasnt sure about the trapping fish.It is full of crabs and small fish and feeds from both sides of the bay area.... Now i know..Im going to have to mail you and ivan some relics when i find them ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
uh you mean crabs right? not craps--- ;D ---relics are good --I like relics :thumbsup:

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Some crap in there too :D Just one more thing.If you guys were looking for treasure on this island,would you start at the high ground /bluffs oak tree clusters for the shade in the summer time.Nice and cool or would you start at the lake ,at the end of the island?

Attachments

• Picture 101.jpg
    Picture 101.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 787

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
RELICDUDE07 said:
Some crap in there too :D Just one more thing.If you guys were looking for treasure on this island,would you start at the high ground /bluffs oak tree clusters for the shade in the summer time.Nice and cool or would you start at the lake ,at the end of the island?

Relic..I was wondering the same thing. In terms of the 'island' portion of this area, the highest point is 10 feet above sea level and it's all concentrated on a fairly small area just north of the bayou.

russellbayou.jpg

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
I think ivan is right about the canals used to trap fish by indians....We should hit the lake and canals some more.That place is full of mullet ;D

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The coin is a copper maravedis, mine has an assayers notch also. When cleaning, replace the lemon juice with "washing soda" from the laundry detergent isle of your local grocery store. Also replace the spoon with a high grade stainless bolt from Home Depot or something similar. Use low voltage and low amperage and let it cook for about 7 days. For one coin, I use 3.6 volts at about 200 mAh and they come out beautifully and completely conserved. Anything less than 5-7 days and you haven't conserved the inside, just the outside. As the absorbed salts and corrosion in the middle dry up and expand, your coin will disintegrate.

You are on a very interesting site...one thing I love about you guys is that you get to the bottom of things. I know you guys will keep at it until your mystery is solved. Like everyone else, I'm loving this thread, and the thought that it provokes. :D It almost makes me wish I spent more time on shore lately, but not quite. :D :D :D Keep it up!

Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread