Recent dredge puts iron/pottery on the island!!!

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
I went down to the end of a small island area close to me today.They are doing some dredge work for a new seawall.I found some iron objects,old bricks and 1 piece of old pottery.I guess what im looking for is some of your opinons,as to how old the stuff maybe,and what orgin the pottery could be from..Also should i try and clean the iron ,or would it be a waste of time? The good news is ,not much as far as history or anything being in this area on old maps from my area.....Thanks relicdude

Attachments

• Picture 083.jpg
    Picture 083.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 1,722
  • Picture 082.jpg
    Picture 082.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 1,666

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
Hard to say ... they are EOs ... After they are conserved you'll know. You may have a iron spike or two?? The one in the middle that's curved looks like it could be. I think the table looks fairly new!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesnt look like they are useing a cutter head dredge.thats good news.the stuff will still be intact and not all busted up into little pieces.

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Thanks jimi D.I hope someone can chime in on the pottery.The one spike is already falling apart.... ::)

Attachments

• Picture 086.jpg
    Picture 086.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 1,631

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Relic,

I can say with about 90% certainty that the pottery shard is the same design found at the Presdio Santa Maria de Galve site onboard Pensacola NAS which would date it from late 17th to mid-18th century Spanish. I've got the book that details the artifacts. I also found some shards with an almost exact same design at our "dirt pile" :wink:.

Cool stuff man...so when is the invite coming for me to go to the new spot? ;D

Pcola

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Thanks michaelB for the story about the gold found on the island....See what you started :D I know its true ,a friend of mines dad found a gold brotch from the 1700s one time out there when he was a kid in 1948..Its close for me and a good place i think to spend some time treasure hunting ........You should get up with me and pcola oneday.........

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
I would love to. I have been trying to get a chance to see Pcola's sidescan in person. He and I trade info on a regular basis.....it is a sickness. ;D

MichaelB

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Speaking of side scan....here's an interesting object that Relic and I found just before getting pounded by a sudden thunderstorm in Perdido Bay.

perdido3.jpg

perdido2.jpg

perdido1.jpg

What we're looking at is about 20' in length and about 9 feet at it's widest point. It could be one of several things:

1. The broken bow area of an old snapper smack
2. The broken bow area of a modern sailboat
3. The broken bow area of an older vessel that is miraculously still intact
4. Two large posts that fell criss-crossed

The nautical charts show no obstructions in this area but it's not exactly a waterway for modern shipping.

Pcola

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
crocky looks around 1780 to 1830 ish time frame off the top of my head --

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Thanks ivan.And cool pcola :o i was looking at the area on the cam ,we need to scan the whole place,when you get a chance.......... This is the end of the island.Does it look like a man made saw mill area to anyone :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• saw mill.jpg
    saw mill.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,419
  • search map.jpg
    search map.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 1,435

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
RELICDUDE07 said:
Thanks ivan.And cool pcola :o i was looking at the area on the cam ,we need to scan the whole place,when you get a chance..........

Yeah I know...just got to get the wife to work with me a bit ;D. I tried calling you this morning because I was thinking about taking the day off to do this very thing. As it turns out the weather sucked anyway so I went ahead and came to work. :P

I'm getting ready to buy some new scuba gear so we can ground truth some sites. All that free diving in pitch black water kinda turned me off the other day when we were out. :o Of course we can most likely borrow our buddy's hookah in the meantime.

Pcola

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello guys,

I see you have been having fun and finding some iteresting stuff...keep it up and fallow the trail!!!!!
We also had a chance to go out and play our selves.....the ARRG team got together for the 4th and we tuck the Conquistador for a spin and blew a few holes....

All the best,

Chagy.......

Attachments

• ARRG1.jpg
    ARRG1.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,358
  • ARRG3.jpg
    ARRG3.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,364
  • ARRG2.jpg
    ARRG2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,360

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
how deep is that water in that pic? thanks for your time! b..... :thumbsup: :coffee2:

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Sweet pictures,thanks chagy. Im going to keep at it until i find the loot.I did find out he had the whole island from a spanish land grant......

Attachments

• 35x1_4_20_Innerarity_John_005.jpg
    35x1_4_20_Innerarity_John_005.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 1,378
OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Can anyone see that letter better then me..Does it say granted from john forbes? If it does it makes since .Indian traders john forbes ,willam panton, and john innerarity.........

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I'm pretty sure that John Forbes was the primary "grantee" in the land grant due to his status within the Spanish community in Pensacola at the time. However, Innerarity was the intended benefactor in the transaction from the beginning. Forbes had left Pensacola in 1817 to go live in Cuba and he gave control of the Panton & Leslie Company to John Innerarity at that time. FYI...Innerarity was the company's attorney prior to taking control of it. Coincidentally or not, 1817 is the same year that Lafitte left Barataria to setup his new 'kingdom' on Galveston Island, TX.

I just don't know about the legend of Innerarity and Lafitte being the same person anymore. There are alot of coincidences but there would have to be some superhuman time management and logistical considerations to make it work. How would Lafitte have time to study law and become an Attorney for a thriving business (Panton & Leslie Co.) smack dab in Spanish territory during the peak of his privateering days? Also, since most of his privateering targets were Spanish ships, he would be crazy to go anywhere near the largest Spanish naval base in the northern Gulf (Pensacola) due to the number of Spanish sailors that may recognize him - just a hunch. However, some characteristics of each of their signatures are similar such as the "I" and "T" in the examples below:

laffitesignature.jpg Inneraritysignature.jpg

lafitte.jpg innerarity.jpg
Lafitte Innerarity

Any handwriting experts reading this? You may also want to read this genealogical record of Innerarity.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Innerarity&GRid=9731351&

LOL...who knows...

Pcola

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
RELICDUDE07 said:
Pcola?See if you can work on who bowles is ,it may help us ..........http://broker10.fcla.edu/DLData/CF/FullText/fhq_16_2.txt

This guy was a complete freak. He managed to get himself in trouble with his British army unit in Pensacola several times until he finally deserted to live with the Creeks. Evenutally he became so trusted by certain bands of Creeks that he proclaimed himself an indian prince with the intent of setting up his own nation. I'm pretty sure the whole Billy Bowlegs pirate legend was based on Bowles - even though he didn't exactly have a vast fortune in loot as the pirate legend allegedly did. To make things even more confusing, the Seminole chief shortly after this time was also named Billy Bowlegs.

I don't know if you saw in a few of my past posts that Lafitte's lieutenant, Dominique Youx, was in command of the only confirmed pirate/privateer vessel (Le Franchise) to be lost right off Santa Rosa Island. American gunboat #162 pursued the Le Franchise and they ran the ship aground to escape. Before swimming to the beach, they set fire to their vessel. There aren't many details on exactly where they ran the ship aground on the Island so there's only 40 miles of shifting barrier island coast to search for it ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread