Magging

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Good Morning,

Im interested in any opinions on the diffference between a Fisher Proton 4 and an Aquascan (no Geometrics comparison Needed but thanks anyway) I have a P4 and in the past , 5 years back was working with a "muppet" with an Aquascan.
Im in the Caribbean and the Aquascan to me did not work that well at all, however since seeing Aargh website Ive noticed on one of the pages that you have both units, so maybe you could shed some light (maybe you used both) the basis for this post is.

1. My P4 is a heavy "m.....fer" a coffin to carry and a lot to set up for 1 person without a dedicated vessel even 2 people its not easy work. It is very accurate and a very good unit.

2. The Aquapulse was small and easy very compact and could be used in a small boat not quite 1 man but possible. I had little success and probably because of the English Muppet I was working with was not co-operative.(he knew everything)

Im looking for a lightweight boat towed mag for 20-50 feet of water and dont want to spend money I dont have on another mag if its not that accurate I recall the Aquascan was good in one direction it may have been E-W or N-S but one way worked better.

Any input would be appreciated.

GH

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi, we do have both units here at ARRG, but most of us are only experienced with using one unit or the other. Dick and Rob are good with the AquaScan, Pete is good with the Proton 4, and Brad and I are both well versed in using the Geometrics 882. Dick would probably be the best bet at someone with knowledge of both units in question. I could spout technical details to you all day, but it wouldn't be backed up with "on-the-water" experience. Dick (DinckyDick on TNET) can make the Aquascan unit sing and dance, hopefully he'll chime in.

If you're looking for a pile of cannon, any mag can show it to you, but trying to finesse a scatter trail of spikes and fittings requires a more professional unit in my opinion. The beauty is in the software, which is why I focus on that "other" mag. :D

Best of luck, PM Dick and see if he doesn't have some tips for you on getting the most out of the AquaScan unit.

Jason

OP
OP
O

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Thanks for that my P4 works amazing its just a big effort to go mag if youre a loner - I had a toss up over geometrics and fisher years back went with fisher no regrets...just a heavy setup, the Aquascan was appealing price, weight and package. GH

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Goldfish, I actually have the Proton 3 and yes, it is heavy. It takes at least 2 people to deploy and operate but it is extremely sensitive. There is another unit out there that I'm looking at. Check out : www.quantrosensing.com. They have some pretty impressive units, weigh just 7 pounds and are relatively inexpensive.

OP
OP
O

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Thanks again - nice site may look at a diver operated unit, the fisher can get built into the boat. Aargh nice deal good to see something positive happening in this community, all the best GH

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What software did you run the SeaSpy with?

Nohope587

Jan 7, 2006
No Fixed abode
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
The company I work for has its own proprietary Nav/Data acquisition software but I have used Magsea with this mag and it woks fine. I think its also possible to get a raw feed using terminal but I need to check up on that. Seaspy also provide software for data acquisition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread