Detector question

Bongo

Greenie
Jul 17, 2006
I know that this question is about as personal as what kind of woman is the best, but I need a place to start. I'm headed out on a sailboat for a couple of years and want to do some hobby style underwater metal detecting while I'm out there. I am a divemaster and a captain. I need something that is rugged, basic and reliable. I'm sure that after a year or so I'll probably change equipment, but I have to start somewhere. I'm thinking middle of the pack when it comes to price, but I'm not adverse to paying up a little to get something that will last a long time. Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. In turn, I promise to post all (if any) finds right here on this board.

Thanks in advance

Mike (Bongo)

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the excal and the fisher cz21

I have an excal and have heard they can take a beating. I tried a fisher and it ruined on me but not the detectors fault it was the dealer who installed the batteries and tightend the back to much.

I don't dive so just take my advice with a grain of sand.

riobravo

Apr 2, 2006
south texas to the east coast
my fisher cz20 came with a lifetime warrenty batt compartment is seperate compartment from electronics, great unit, heard somewhere, probably here on tnet, that vlf detectors can attract sharks thou.
nothings perfect.................. :D

Consolación Diver

Apr 29, 2007
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These guys are right about the Fisher CZ, and they are used by a lot of the professionals. Check out this link for a depth comparison:

http://jimyce.home.netcom.com/test.html

The only issue with them is that they used to have non-removable loop and phone. This means that if you ever have a problem with either cable, you need to send it in for repairs. Maybe the newer models offer removable accessories.

For our project in Ecuador, we have exclusively used Aquapulse detectors. They are a little pricier, but simple to use, very sensitive, and very durable. They also have removable loop and phones with a variety of options for different conditions. I have used the same detector for 5 years with no problems. I have replaced a few loops and headphones, but the problems arose by me diving with it when I shouldn’t have been, like diving in black water with too much ground surge, and I got the cable hooked on rocks or coral. You can see the Aquapulse options at

www.aquapulse.com

I think you can even download the user manual, and other brochures.

Good Luck, and have fun on your expedition!

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've found tons of stuff with my fisher 1280x, its battery compartment is seperate from the electronics. I use the headset around my neck as a lanyard and turn up the volume. I've used it for 20 years without any problems.

I just bought a jw fishers pulse 8x. I can go over areas I searched with my 1280x and find all kinds of stuff. nothing that I know of goes deeper. you might want to buy a lanyard as the headphones are not stout enough to use that way.

the 1280x will last a very long time on one set of batteries, the pulse 8x is rechargeable. the 1280x will cost about half what a pulse 8x will. there are tons of accessories for the pulse 8x, not much for the 1280x. it really depends on how serious you want to get. if it were me I'd get the pulse 8x, just remember you gotta dig till you find the object and I've gug 2.5 feet down underwater.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Bongo said:
I'm headed out on a sailboat for a couple of years and want to do some hobby style underwater metal detecting while I'm out there.

Consider the battery type in your selection. Will you carry enough 'AA's' or cruise to places with an ample supply? If you end up with something that needs to recharge overnight, what will your power supply be? If you use an inverter, consider the ability of your house battery bank to support the inverter. Can you recharge with a small flexible solar panel?

If your battery compartment leaks, will it leak into the main electronics compartment? How far, or where will you have to go to send a unit in for repairs? If you have to send it in from an out of the way port... will you send it with the headphones and coil still attached, or will you buy something with detachable components?

And then there is the price range that your willing to spend...

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
GIB is right. You *must* have a rechargeable battery pack, means to recharge it, and a spare pack. Else the cost of dry batteries for a 2-year trip could easily exceed the cost of the detector.

Chip V.

OP
OP
B

Bongo

Greenie
Jul 17, 2006
Thanks for all the input so far.

Good questions on the recharging systems and house batteries. Fortunately I have 700 amp hours of batteries, 240 watts of solar panels, an inverter and a 5 kw diesel generator. I think I'll have plenty of juice to keep the detector recharged. I've had the boat for several years so I'm comfortable with the set up.
The maintenance of the detector is a issue. My plan is to cruise Florida and the Bahamas for the next year and ease down to South America after that. Once I get that far south, I will have to ship the equipment back for any repairs.

Mike

OP
OP
B

Bongo

Greenie
Jul 17, 2006
Just a follow up.
First of all thanks for the input. I'm sitting here looking at the new box of the CZ-21 Quicksilver delivered to me today. It contains all the possibilities and right now none of the frustrations, so it is probably as perfect as it will get.
I won't get a chance to get it wet before this weekend, but can assure you I will be wondering around the back yard this afternoon trying it out.
Now if I can just figure out how to use a side scann sonar on this sailboat... ;D
I appreciate the help.
thanks
Mike (Bongo)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions