Please define "MEAN Low Tide Mark".

stillhunting

Jun 22, 2005
Please define "MEAN Low Tide Mark".

Did some hunting at the Treasure Coast beaches over the past weekend. Can anyone define "MEAN Low Tide Mark". I spoke to a policeman who mentioned that detecting is from the foot of the dune but then mentioned too Mean Low Tide Mark. Is the mean low tide mark the furthest waterline that the tide is out or is it the average or center of where the waves ebb and flow at low tide. First time Ive ever heard the term Mean low tide mark. They seem to be getting real exact in terminology now. Before, it was from the dune edge to the water edge. Now, its the Mean low tide mark.

jimfnc

Greenie
Sep 12, 2004
Re: Please define "MEAN Low Tide Mark".

That certainly defines it, but since there is no marker on the beach, there would be no way to determine it. A year ago I sent an email onthe beach hunting question, and from Morgan at the Mel Fisher Center I got :
It is our understanding that it is legal to metal detect the Florida beaches between the low tide line and the dune with the exception of a state or federal park or any area posted as private property. There are many environmental laws such as avoiding turtle nests, sea oats, natural dune vegetation etc. It is best to access beaches thru public beach access areas to avoid harming natural beach vegetation. It is beachcomber courtesy to pick up trash and fill in any holes you dig. Following these guidelines, anything you find is finders keepers. If you have any questions regarding state or federal park lands you can check with the local park rangers or contact Della Scott or Jennifer McKinnon at the State of Florida Division of Historical Resources (850) 245-6335.
Happy Hunting and Today?s The Day!

Since I never want to find myself in an arguement with a cop or ranger over the science of tides, I just plan to hunt at low tide and keep my coil out of the water...

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Please define "MEAN Low Tide Mark".

I doubt that anyone will give you a hard time as long as you are keeping the coil out of the water adjacent to the wreck sites, even if the low tide for that day is a foot below the mean low tide. The advice you got from Morgan is sound, and you should just go and have a good time. Also remember that there are no State laws or statutes that prohibit you from using your detector in the water (State statutes do prohibit you from recovering anything older that 50 years from underwater without a permit), away from the locations of the leased arias and the locations that Morgan told you about. Additionally, the state of Florida does allow for hunting on the beaches inside of State parks, as long as you get written permission from the Park ranger in advance, and some Rangers will deny your request just because?

http://dhr.dos.state.fl.us/archaeology/underwater/finds/metaldetecting.pdf

Happy Hunting

Q

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread