ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, but they have the boat on lease, supporting divers for the plant I believe. I'm sure Diver Lynn knows more about it.

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Yep, thats the plan, through December. I am taking a leave of absence til we dive again and in Ft. Lauderdale working on my 100 ton Captain's license for another tormenting week. May be looking for dive work in another couple of weeks.
Pray for me

Diverlynn

OP
OP
B

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you. I was wondering since it appears to be at a water inlet, and has been there for a while.

While we're on this, Lynn, was anything interesting found at Tiger Shores?

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Tiger Shores? Last September? Yes, a piece of wood, on Sunday (when the State Archies were home showing off their own collections :icon_queen: ), we got a slap on the hand cause we had no one to report it to before the media got wind of it, made the state look bad. That was all. I think Dave Jordan is still trying to get a salvage permit, and good luck to him.
Looks like the Polly L wont be doing much treasure hunting for a while, if any. There's talk of doing some mag work but without a mag boat?
Looks a little iffy to me.
Scott is still trying to get the state to recognize his Master Degree in Underwater Arch...but since he's affiliated with "LOOTERS" he's still being ignored.

Do I sound a little negative? Can't figure out why :wink:
Gonna work on the Damit Janet for Florida Research to catch up on my finances for a while.
May go ahead and take my STCW and hop a private charter to the Islands till things improve.

Treasure Hunting??? Not sure its really worth the indigestion and disapointments

Diverlynn

OP
OP
B

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks alot for the info.

Just heard Tommy Gore lecture at the Elliott, not a mile away from Tiger Shores. He was very impressive, and appeared to have a very common sense approach to diving and recovery. I have no respect for state "archeologists" since they misidentified a major ship component (keel), dismissing it as a bridge timber. Do they ever come down from their Ivory tower?

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill, I wish I would have met you at Tommy's lecture. I was sitting in the back to the left of John Brandon.

Those state archies mis-identified an entire ship too...Pepper Park was the first ever archaeological preserve in Florida, and they mis-identified the vessel as the Urca de Lima. Anyone who's spent any time with their nose in the archival documents knows without a shadow of doubt that the ID is incorrect. Jamie is the only one I know in that whole division that has his head screwed on straight.

Jason

OP
OP
B

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Dam..we shoulda worn Treasurenet badges. Ironically, Tommy himself had seen the timber, and immediately recognized it as a keel. He didn't understand why it was 200' WEST of the dunes. In the "small world" department, a guy I work with in construction, a fisherman who does site work, found it ON THE BEACH and drug it landward to recover it. We talked on a job, and realized we both "found" it.

Because of the misidentification, it has been lost forever. I did salvage a small piece off the beach, and donated it to the House of Refuge. It was not real old, iron bolt fastened. Someone here identified it as late 1800's wreck.

It's amazing that we discuss stuff here, but never meet face to face. Maybe one day..beer for everyone.

BTW, I've met John Brandon, and have the utmost respect for him and his accomplishments.

Bill Frondorf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread