Shipwrecks in Roatan

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
The only info I have on that area is for the "Parkersburg" which sank September 5, 1868. It travelled between Panama and Honduras as sank in the Bay of Fonseca in the southwest corner of the country. It carried specie but was largely salvaged at the time of loss.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres lots of wrecks there.I got this email from a diver down there.heres what he wrote to me:

I've worked the Honduran Coast off and on for 10 years. Have hired a researcher 5 years ago to study wrecks between Cartagena and Havana. Have dove at several locations off the Moskito Coast of Honduras. It is a remote, but not unexplored are--but the divers seldom know what they are seeing--still some interesting interviews.

There are many ballast piles with promise--and I have notebooks with locationsfrom moskito lobster divers who have seen some curious sights. One diver had found a Dutch pipe with a picture of the old church in Amsterdam, though he didn't know what it was.

I've found areas with large amounts of blue Delft ceramics on the beaches of the Moskito Coast--some of the bar mouths of these tropical rivers have moved around-- In short, this coastline has many wrecks, but has had little--read none --serious investigation.

I found a pipe its dated 1602--could it be from the San Roque of the lost 1605 fleet? No--surely not--but the location fits--and the ballast pile--as described--was not one with river rock, but with long stacks like a woodpile--the English cut chalk stone for ballast and laid it in the keel of their shallow draft collier type vessels--but the spanish did the same with their silver bars loaded at Portobello. Dreaming??

At this point I feel I need some professional guidance, but am leery of many outfits. My work in Honduras is more important than finding a few pieces of gold or silver. If you want to know more contact me.I dictated this to a girlfriend,who I had asked to search for a maritime archaeologist--a bit of a stretch finding someone on Myspace--but stranger things have happened.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello,

Yes there are many wrecks in the Moskito coast, but that is really far from Roatan you would have to take a plane to La Ceiba and travel about 8 hours to get there...Plus the native Indians they don't like outsiders....Ask Scuba salvor he has been there.....
Its safer to go to the bay of Trujillo, same deal take a plane to la Ceiba and its a 2 hour drive there are a few wrecks in the bay including 2 1532 galleons.....

There is a old wreck were a swivel gun was found by the local fisherman in Port Royal once you get to the small bay close to shore on the right hand if you are in the water or your left if you are in land in about 5 feet of water you will find it.....Be careful the locals know about the wreck and they loot from it....

Once you get to Roatan go to West End, once you are entering West End and you see the bay in front of you look to the left you will see all the taxi drivers seatting by the road ask for Roberto.....Thats my boy, he is my friend, driver and bodyguard he still carries my .45 pistol so you will be safe with him..you can hire him for the entire day if you like...He is well conected with the Mayor, Chief of Police, etc..

Tell him to take you to the place in the pic....He is the one on the right.....this is private property but he knows the land caretaker once you get there on the small bay go to the clift on your right at the top of the clift on the water edge you will find some goodies...
he has my 2 box metal detector you may want to take it with you on that trip...Take water and food there is nothing on that end of the island...

Also tell him to take you to Crawfish Rock to the pic on the bottom once you are in that dock about 100 yards to the right on the inside of the reef you will find a 1800s wreck....You shouldnt have a problem finding it ..very clear water...

By the way Roberto changed his phone number and I have not been able to talk to him, Could I send him a letter with you That way I can also hook you up with him....he only speaks Spanish, very little English...

Good Luck,

Chagy.....

Attachments

• Chagy & Roberto.jpg
    Chagy & Roberto.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 830
  • Crawfish Rock.jpg
    Crawfish Rock.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 811

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Vancouver,British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Hey,

I have also been to this wreck site on Roatan that is in very shallow water where you can dive down and find ballast stones and nails and broken old pirate rum bottles. You can find many pieces of them on shore as well. From this point walk and look for caves you may find all kinds of interesting things in them.

Thanks
Daryl

For more info on Roatan Treasure
www.spindlequest.com/pirate.htm

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Vancouver,British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Hello,

This pic is taken right over the wreck. I was in the water when I took it to try and capture the location for when I returned. I recovered several ballast stones from the wreck which were left on the beach for my return trip. I never returned to the site. Instead I headed for Guatamala and was swept up on a diffrent crazy adventure.

100_0034.jpg

Daryl

www.spindlequest.com/honmap.html

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The anchor from that wreck was salvage by a local fisherman and in in someones backyard. The same fisherman found a bronze swivel gun and sold it to the same guy who bought the anchor. It took 17 men to carry the anchor to the backyard.

Chagy....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread