Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello and welcome to the shipwreck forum....

You dont need a permit to just look around but if you find something interesting and you want to start using mags, SSS, blowing holes, etc
then you will need an exploration permit and once you can prove that infact you have found a wreck then you can apply for a salvage permit and if you are lucky you might get it approved (there are more chances of getting hit by lighting than getting a permit in Florida right now)

All the best,

Chagy.....

OP
OP
H

hix1895

Jun 2, 2008
man that suck but thanks for the info, I got a long way out from looking, got a lot of reserch to go.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You will find all the answers regarding permits here...

Florida Bureau of Archaeological Research
Phone: 245-6444 - Fax: 245-6452

Ryan Wheeler, Chief and State Archaeologist
[email protected]

Roger Smith, Archaeology Supervisor
[email protected]

Good luck,

Chagy.....

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are an ordinary, tax paying citizen of Florida, you will not be permitted to investigate any wreckage underwater until you reach the three mile limit. From that point on to the 12 mile limit you can investigate wreckage, but, if you remove it to the surface and bring it back to a U.S. port without first filing a writ of arrest (for the vessel), you will be in violation of any number of regulations dreamed up by any number of agents in the vast array of federal agencies sucking money out of your pocket.

If you are of Spanish descent, and a citizen of Spain, our State and Federal agencies will do their upmost to see that every bit of wreckage you find can be classified as a Spanish warship, and you will be entitled to take it at will, and do with it as you please without reparation to the host nation, or the people of the host nation (that would be you).

IF you investigate wreckage in international waters, and find anything at all, take it to Switzerland, or perhaps, one of the many independant countries in Latin America that were sacked by Spain. In these places, the governments are not prone to consider Spain's entitlements (or anybody else's for that matter) and you might be able to work out a deal.

Seriously, in the last 24 months myself and others on this forum have tried unsuccessfully on more than one occasion to obtain exploratory leases in Florida without even hearing from Wheeler's office for more than three months. All the persons involved were well known to Wheeler, and in fact, one of them was an emissary from the U.S. to the United Nations! Even he was ignored!

So, don't waste your time filing out a pile of bureaucratic gobbledygook paperwork that will end up in somebody's trash can. Save a tree.

"Dig here. Dig now." ...almost what Newt said, I think.

OP
OP
H

hix1895

Jun 2, 2008
I was think if you did find anything could it you team up with a salvage team like mil fish? make some type of deal?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey hix,
here is a correction; you need an exploration permit JUST TO LOOK FOR A SHIPWRECK. Case in point: Burt Webber did a shipwreck survey in SE Florida and got some interesting hits. He applied for an exploration permit (the first step before a salvage permit). The state denied him because he started to search before he applied for a search permit.
Here is a link to the final order: http://oss.dos.state.fl.us/general-counsel/final-orders/final-orders-dhr/hr-05-02.cfm.

nudels

Jun 21, 2008
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Vantage AD-14, Tesoro Sand Shark
From what i've read, if the State of Florida was doing what they are doing now (or is planning on doing real soon now) way back when, the Urca De Lima would most likely have never bothered to have been found.

OP
OP
H

hix1895

Jun 2, 2008
thanks scubasalvor

well it looks like this is going to be a hard road a head!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
This sounds like the chicken and the egg sort of thing.

I think it may be a shipwreck, but I'm not sure until I look. Is the junk I find, glass bottles, iron rings, and stuff, just trash, or something from a wreck?

How does one know unless one looks, but you can't look if you don't know?

Yea Florida...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its pay for a "research" lease to even try to find something in a area (pay to look around for a wrecksite)and pay all the search cost ---then once and if you find something "might" be there (if you find a possible wrecksite)--then you apply/ pay for an exploration permit -- (to find out just what you found) and pay for all the reseach cost --- once you prove what it is --then if its the wrong type of vessel (military) or some foreign govt (like spain ) can make a claim --The US govt will alert them to make said claim against you* and your find --- they will take over giving you zip -- now if everything goes just right ---you can ask for a recovery permit (good luck) to apply for it you will need a archie who agrees to sign on for the full contract time -- the $$$ to show full funding for the entire project with all the cost covered and other hard to meet standards. --- the agreement if issued will give the state at least 20 % off the top--- the state puts 0 $$$ wize so its pure $$$ profiet for them -- they can issue a search premit (which you pay for) and a research permit (which you pay for) and then NOT issue you a salvage permit -- thus getting all the data and research you did handed to them for "free"--since it part of the "required" daily report type paperwork they insist on.---
plus if in the middle of surveying said lease area * you find a big strike and want to stop and check it out and apply for a salavage permit the state can say nope first you have to finish the survey of all your lease area and report on all the "items" you magged up --in the order you found them in basically ---no stopping just because you've hit what you think is the mother load * --so the state is in effect making you mag and ID survey the whole lease area for them before allowing you to move forward on any site found within the lease --in rex's case his lease is huge -- and the cost of checking out everything in the lease area is more than can be reasonibly beared by any salvage outfit --- rex protested but it fell on deaf ears --it will most likely break his back fiscally to do all that they are requiring of him to proceed onward and it ties up a huge bit of area in the process too --who said the state wasn't crafty?

in its current form its a very rigged game --but as the old cow poke that was heard complaining about the crooked card game at the saloon said when town folks asked him why he still played it "cuz its the only game in town".

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Ivan, if you or I did this, we would be arrested for fraud!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Whoever said that crime doesn't pay...

Didn't work for the State.

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scubatreasure said:
WHAT EVER HAPPEND TO LIFE...LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS!

Only way thats gonna happen is if we do now what our founding fathers did 230 years ago.......

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the problem with Democracy, there is always one guy that thinks he can change things and you have to jail him to teach him otherwise.

(insert your own verb in place of "jail")

NC is as bad as FL if not worse. I'd hate to see what they're going to do when someone finds something.

riobravo

Apr 2, 2006
south texas to the east coast
some info fowared to me:
Subject: matadors

Below is Mary Hanson Esq phone number, address, and email address. She is the attorney HSSPC and SEASPC chose to "lead the fight the State of Florida on their either undeducated and/or illegal attempts at rulemaking policies." She, along with many HSSPC members and some other individuals attended, spoke at, and presented written reasponces at the the Tallahassee "Workshop" and I must say she is efficient, tough, and quickly plucking the feathers at great speed from the hats of the Florida DHR's upper eschalon(sp?) I, and many of my expert admiralty attorneys, are very impressed with her knowledge in the administrative rule making process and her rapid fire which seems to have raised some concern at DHR. We need to keep the momentum going. She has numerous letters written to State attorneys under the Florida Sunshine Act and seems to be making a difference.

Currently, Mel Fisher Enterprises contracts will be safe for now (grandfathered in) but I am highly aware of escalated attempts at State, Federal, and International levels to outlaw private secors shipwreck salvage in favor of Universities and non-profits. Thousands of shipwrecks are at risk! And your rights and those of future generations to explore , salvage, and conserve them as well are jeapordized by the state of Floridas' DHR abitrary treatment. (How many University museums have you visited to see their collection, and how many universitys books chronicling their work have you read and/or how many documentaries produced by them have you seen on Discovery or History Channels.) The elitests dont really want to share the excitment of Florida's shipwrecks.

Today's the day for all serious private sector salvors (privatly funded treasure hunters) to start stepping up to the plate to team up and protect our future rights. Mary is leading the movement and Mel Fisher Enterprises has funded $7000 so far in her legal fees. Doug Pope $2000, Jim Alexander $1000, and Scott Thompson $1000. We anticipate approximately $25,000 total expenses to see this "rulemaking challenge" through. Therefore, I am asking you as a serious participant and dedicated treasure hunter to support our efforts and send a check to Mary. If you pitch in on Mary's fees, and you send her your email address, she will email updates and strategies.

I implore you to send Mary a check and support the cause.

Today's the Day!

Send you checks made out to: Mary D. Hansen, Esq.
4393 South Ridgewood Ave., Suite One
Port Orange, FL 32127
Phone (386) 547-2320
email: [email protected]

Best regards, Taffi Fisher Abt
772-388-3109

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread