Ghost Galleons

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
I have almost finished my Shipwreck book and would like to include one final chapter..."Ghost Wrecks" These are shipwreck that never existed, they were either the work of fiction or deliberate scams to raise investor money. Or in some cases, real ships but reportedly carrying treasures that did NOT exist. Potter mentions a few of them in his book The Treasure Diver's Guide. My personal favorite is the San Lorenzo. She was lost off Ocean City, Maryland, the guy took some real shipwrecks the Grovenors 1715 and the Concepcion, and combined to mix the tales into his own shipwreck. He threw a solid gold Madonna in for good measure (probably from the Maravillas). He even added to the shipwreck story that the wild ponies that exist today on Assateague Island are decendents of Spanish horses that were onboard the San Lorenzo and swam ashore following the wreck. The public bought it, the National Park Service bought into it, (There were plaques at Assateague denoting the source of the wild ponies as coming from the Spanish ship San Lorenzo. Even National Geographic bought into it, and ran a short article on the Wild Ponies of Assateague and the San Lorenzo. Only problem is the San Lorenzo never existed. Turns out the colonists since almost the very beginning were using the barrier island as pastures for livestock, they were perfect for turning animals loose to graze with no need to put up fences. Anyway, stuff like that is what I am looking for.

Galleon Hunter

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Galleon Hunter:

Do you have any ETA on your publication date yet? I want a copy (or maybe more) !

As far as "ghosts", how bout that Portugese Carrack something or other "do Brasil" ? I've read the name in several sources, and some other postings here in years past, but, I wonder....
???

OP
OP
G

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
You are probably referring to the San Anton do Brasil. Funny thing is I actually have quite a bit of information on this wreck. Tis is another one where Marx, Lyons and haskins disagree as to her validity. Of the top of my head, I believe Haskins found some documents indicating she does exist. I also know from talking to Marx that he found a three finger emerald ring on a wreck in the Bahamas, but the wreck was about 100 years older than the Maravilla. The Maravilla sank in 1656, the San Anton do Brasil around 1552. So maybe it does exist..the ring was real enough. I think there were also other indications of an older wreck nearby. Then again maybe it already was a family heirloom and was 100 years old by the time it was on the Maravilla. I have talked at length about the Maravilla with Marx and Art Hartman. There was an incredible amount of items recovered.

GH

Cablava

May 24, 2005
HMS Sussex would be a good one. The ship is real enough, but was there anything on her, it's a big question.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cablava said:
HMS Sussex would be a good one. The ship is real enough, but was there anything on her, it's a big question.

HMS Sussex Project

HMS Sussex was a large 80-gun English warship lost in a severe storm in 1694 off the coast of Gibraltar. Based on documentary research conducted by contract researchers and our in-house research team in libraries and historical archives in the UK, France and other countries, we believe there is a high probability the ship was carrying a cargo of coins with a substantial value.

Based on the results of offshore operations conducted in 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001 we believe there is a high probability we may have located the remains of HMS Sussex. In September 2002, we entered into a partnering agreement with the owner of HMS Sussex, the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, which we refer to as Her Majesty’s Government (HMG).

In accordance with that agreement, and the approved HMS Sussex archaeological project plan, we have completed to the satisfaction of HMG all work detailed in Phase 1A and portions of Phase 1B of the plan. Due to interference by various Spanish entities we have postponed further work on the project to allow diplomatic issues to be resolved.

In July 2008, we delivered to HMG an Archaeological Report detailing the pioneering deep-ocean archaeological work done on the site during Phase 1A and portions of 1B conducted in late 2005 and early 2006. The report includes the results of environmental and biological sampling, which were submitted for extensive post-fieldwork analysis. Coring samples and other evidence indicate that the wreck site may be at least twice as large as is visible on the sea floor, and could potentially include areas displaced some distance from the visible wreck mound. Only further trenching and site exploration can confirm or discount the presence of considerably more wreck material than is either evident or exposed in the limited trial trenching conducted.

Although the work completed to date does not conclusively identify the site as that of the Sussex, the evidence gathered suggests a vessel of the approximate time and provenance of HMS Sussex.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
here's another one.

Attachments

• scan1.gif
    scan1.gif
    54.4 KB · Views: 486

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
Galleon Hunter, any word on a publication date yet?

I want to make sure I am on the mailing list as I am sure it is going to be a great read.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scubasalvor said:
here's another one.

I agree totally with Lyon. Santiago el Grande is a ghost shipwreck. I investigated for Trockmorton during 4 months in 1987 and neither the shade. A well-known TH promoted this lie and it made a lot of money.
It is already time that are given to know many lies about shipwrecks and their grafts. Claudio

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thank you Claudio. I might need your help on a wreck I found on the W. coast of Florida. Do you have any records of wrecks on the W. coast?

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scubasalvor said:
Thank you Claudio. I might need your help on a wreck I found on the W. coast of Florida. Do you have any records of wrecks on the W. coast?

I' m sorry, I don't have outstanding information.

ping

Apr 6, 2005
Vancouver BC
Galleon Hunter;

I have LOTS of information on the "Santiago El Grande" scam. One of the most elaborate, clever and complex scams I have ever encountered. I helped the Canadian RCMP with the investigation on this. Let me know if you want more info on this.

Ping

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ping... I never heard about this scam, and it never made the press in south Florida. Please fill us in.

ping

Apr 6, 2005
Vancouver BC
Here's how the scam worked.

A long time ago, a wreck was found in the vicinity of Cat Cay in the Bahamas. The wreck was salvaged, but found to be of little consequence.

Then, after many years, a group got some money, hired a professional marine survey company to come and 'look for a treasure wreck' in the location of the known, but undocumented, worthless wreck.

Of course, the survey company found all sorts of evidence that there was a wreck there, but nothing to indicate what kind of wreck it was.

The scammers took that data, and used it (with great exaggeration) to justify grabbing money from investors to 'salvage the site'. They provided numerous unsubstantiated accounts of the "Santiago El Grande" being wrecked in the exact area. Of course, with the data from the marine survey company, the investors poured in tons of money without really listening closely to what the survey company said, which was "We can't tell what KIND of wreck is in this site, but it is likely that SOME kind of wreck is in the area"

The scammers took the money, and deliberately hired a completely incompetent person to salvage the wreck. This created so many problems, the investors didn't notice that the scammers used this as a diversion to run away with the loot.!

It would be a great story if so many innocent people didn't loose so much money.

Ping

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1987 Throckmorton told me that they went to sue a well-known writer - treasure hunter for false information and to have swindled money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread