Apr 4, 2005

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
these maps were made to keep warships from depth charging wrecksites thinking it was a german sub hanging out near the bottom and to help our forigen allies merchant ships avoid running aground on the wrecks.

OP
OP
M

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Thanks Ivan.

Do you have any idea how you can get hold of these charts? I had heard that there was a museum somewhere up on the NE coast of the USA that had copies of some of the charts.

Thanks, Don, for the link you supplied, but these maps were apparently developed and distributed secretly, and are not available through that particular link, nor anywhere else on the Internet as far as I know.

Mariner

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome. If that doesn't work out let me know and I'll make a few calls within the Navy museum community of which I am the resident pirate.

Pirate Diver

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I was and sort of still am the archaeologist on the WHYDAH and some other evil private sector ventures I am considered a pirate, ironic since I am the archaeologist who first confirmed the site as being the WHYDAH! After seeing first hand the behavior of the so called
"professional" archaeological community, I am proud to be a pirate and if I lived during the late 17th-Early 18th century (as a few psychics have told me I did), I most certainly would have been a pirate.

Despite this, I make my living in the world of museums and naval history, always with an eye on the ocean which lies less than 200 yards from my office.

PD

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Piratediver, I just saw the new "Pirate" film about Black Sam Bellamy on the National Geographic channel. Are you guys still excavating the Whydah?

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes we are still excavating and finding lots of great artifacts. There is a major exhibit touring the US now for 5 years, it is currently at the Franklin Institute in Philly.

Thanks God we now have hot water suits!

Pirate Diver

SMILIES

Jun 25, 2006
I've been looking for that chart also. What I've found out is the possible name of the chart. "The US anti submarine warfare chart" Where you can see a copy in a recent docementry. Either on Discovery Channel or National Geographic Channel guys were trying to find the Andrea Gail wreck from the movie "The Perfect Storm" They are using that chart in that Documentry to elimate known wrecks. You see it briefly while they are working in the cabin of the research vessel. I've done internet searches with no luck. If you ever find it please email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Micah

OP
OP
M

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Peerless,

What's the connection between the story that your link takes us to and the secret Navy Charts showing the location of wrecks? Are you suggesting that these charts were used to locate these particular wrecks? The story doesn't say so.

Mariner

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense
SMILIES said:
I've been looking for that chart also. What I've found out is the possible name of the chart. "The US anti submarine warfare chart" Where you can see a copy in a recent docementry. Either on Discovery Channel or National Geographic Channel guys were trying to find the Andrea Gail wreck from the movie "The Perfect Storm" They are using that chart in that Documentry to elimate known wrecks. You see it briefly while they are working in the cabin of the research vessel. I've done internet searches with no luck. If you ever find it please email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Micah

mariner said:
Peerless,

What's the connection between the story that your link takes us to and the secret Navy Charts showing the location of wrecks? Are you suggesting that these charts were used to locate these particular wrecks? The story doesn't say so.

Mariner

The Andrea Gail "searchers" are the link, the post above gives you a clue.
And this from the link : "They are working in the area of the "Andrea Gail". I hope that they find her, so that crew may come home finally."

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
by removing the older wrecks on the WW2 wrecks chart (used for anti submarine warfare) to remove the old wrecks from their sonar findings they can only look at new wrecks --ir hopefull the ANDREA GAIL( these charts were made by US forces to prevent destoyers from depth charging wrecks laying on the bottom thinking they were subs ---it was a favorite sub trick --to lay on the bottom quietly until a passing destroyer went by -- after a while US forces "caught on to this trick and anything that didn't match bottom contour was attacked --over time old wrecks were found and their locations plotted to prevent wasting ammo by depth charging them-- these maps were very secert at the time -- if the germans had got the charts --they could hide their subs close to the wrecks and fool our forces" using the old anti submarine warface charts with their sonar findings -- they can only look for newer wrecks (post WW2 )--ie the "ANDREA GAIL"--it how they search --those charts are worth their weight in gold to deep water treasure hunters no doubt

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
Actually, the USN non-sub contact list is of limited use IMHO. Specifically, I am referring to "Publication 120, Volume II, Non-Submarine Contacts in the Western Atlantic and Caribbean Sea." Most of the coordinates are rough locations based on ESF reports, newspaper reported locations for pre-WWII, etc., so accuracy is on the scale of miles. Most of this information as trickled down through the years and appears in the AWOIS database now. There are a few nuggets here and there, but I don't think it is what most of you are expecting. If there is a way to attach a 2 MB .pdf, I am happy to make it available to list members. Or, I can just upload it to my website for people to download....
Cheers,
Mike

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd love to have a copy, Mike. Thanks so much. You can send it to my email or I'd be glad to download it from your website. Thanks again!

Darren

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread