Treasures From The Sea

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
Florida On A Tankful
by Scott Fais

Off Florida's coast, under the sea, a search and rescue mission continues.

"Right now, we're looking for the rest of the ship," said Sean Fisher.

"This whole area -- South Florida, the Keys, the Bahamas, very rich in ship wrecks," said Corey Malcom, an archeologist.

Every now and then, the ocean gives up her treasures.

"We just found last weekend on the Atocha Trail this gold bar -- 23 karat, 1-foot-long, 4 pound with markings,” said Fisher.

When artifacts lost in time submerge, many end up here, the Mel Fisher Maritime Museum.

"Mel Fisher was my grandfather, the greatest treasure hunter ever," said Fisher.

Mel Fisher was the legendary figure who spent 16 years searching for the treasure that sunk with the Atocha Spanish Galleon, which was lost in 1622. Many of the artifacts found are now on display here.

"That's what it is really for; for people to look at what maritime life was like in the 17th century," said Fisher.

Visitors can get an up-close look at silver bars, jewelry and even utensils all recovered from the ocean floor. The most popular display allows visitors to curl a gold bar.

So how much is the barbell worth? At 74 ounces and 16.5 karats, by today's standards, this is $200,000 worth of gold. Give or take a couple thousand dollars, but whose counting?"

"I would like to use those as weights,” said Patricia Mitten, a visitor. “Instead of those cheapy, I would like to have those."

"We lure people in with the shiny gold, but they come out with a much different experience," said Malcom.

Malcom is the man entrusted to preserve what is found underwater. As Director of Archeology, he restores centuries of corrosion, like a 16th century helmet. He hopes through the mother load of centuries ago, folks gain a better appreciation for today.

"If we want to understand why our community is they way it is, why our society the way it is, it's because of things that happened 400 years ago, 500 years ago," said Malcom. "There is a big philosophical arc there, but it's real."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions