Ship Wreck Findings - What is it

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
All,

The other day we decided to expand our search area on a shipwreck that we've been diving. What we came across is a structure that resembles an "A" frame or a triangle made up of 18 to 24 inch wooden beams that is pegged together. This item is approx 12' by 14' and is about 6 ' in depth. If anyone has any ideas we would appreciate hearing from you. We also tried to clean if the pictures. If these are not good enough, we will load the originals.

VR,

DD

Attachments

• L11a.JPG
    L11a.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 680
  • L12a.JPG
    L12a.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 676
  • L13a.JPG
    L13a.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 686
  • L14a.JPG
    L14a.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 691

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don,

From your description and what little of the construction I can see, I'd guess that it is possibly part of the bow. The pics make me want to go fresh-water hunting...we don't get timbers like that out here very often. :D I'd love to see some more pics of the wreck if you have them.

Jason

OP
OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Hi Jason,

At first I thought the same thing, however the next pics you see are what we think is the bow structure at the keel level. I'll let those like yourself figure this one out as it has us baffled. I also have a little video clip :thumbsup: of the A frame /bow structure, however I haven't figured out how to load it to the Youtube site yet .

Don

Attachments

• BR3.jpg
    BR3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 614
  • BR 2.jpg
    BR 2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 628
  • Bow Ribs 1.JPG
    Bow Ribs 1.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 614

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
NICE! It looks to be in pretty shallow water...is this a new wreck? Regardless it's a nice find and will be fun for you to explore. I don't have a good guess after seeing the rest of the wreck...unless they had wooden tugs with big wooden push-knees on the front back then. ;-)

Keep 'em coming, like AF said, we always like shipwreck pictures. If you need help with the video, call or PM me.

Jas

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
This can be very interesting.. I hope you find something made out of gold :P

OP
OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Trond,

Actually, we've found silver (1773) 8 reals (Mexico) and the first US Penny 1834 on this site. We've found early American flatware (two prong forks, spoons and knives), pieces of plates from England dated 1840s, and a whole lot of other stuff we're still trying to get a date fixed on them. The biggest problem we have is determining what was part of the ship and what is consistered as cross contamination, meaning fell on to or was deposited on to the the wreck after it sank. Below are the pics of the coins found in 2006, the 1772 reals is an example of what the 1773 should have looked like.

Attachments

• MVC-JJ027S.jpg
    MVC-JJ027S.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 540
  • normal_0003_Mexican_Pieces_of_Eight_1773.jpg
    normal_0003_Mexican_Pieces_of_Eight_1773.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 548
  • normal_0002_Reverse_One_Cent_Coin_1834.jpg
    normal_0002_Reverse_One_Cent_Coin_1834.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 551
  • normal_0001_One_Cent_Coin_1834.jpg
    normal_0001_One_Cent_Coin_1834.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 555

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
by the way it is constructed my guess would be either the rudder or a swing keel.

OP
OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Re: Ship Wreck Findings - What is it - Video link now available

Swing Keel?

Can you explain a little more about this as I'm not familiar with the term, better yet do you have any books that reference what type of ship would use this type of device?

DD

OP
OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Re: Ship Wreck Findings - Video link now available

[youtube=425,350] Mdn3KVKG7cQ [/youtube] :thumbsup:

DD

OP
OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All,

Hopefully by the next time I dive the site, I'll have created a grid that can be used to determine the size of this item. I know that there's a lot more knowledgeable folks out there than I and that I need to get them the proper type and form of information they need to determine what this item is.

DD

OP
OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Hi SeaHunter,

We found the structure when we extended our search pattern, we swam over it in the past but never saw it due to the over growth of the plants. If you recall this is the same wreck we listed two years ago on forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,62678.0.html
This summer is the first time we dove it in two years, and I have to say it has really change, lots of new plant growth and zebra mussels all over it. As for the camera, Its a Cannon 7.1 powershot W/ Cannons underwater case, really does a nice job with the stills and video. Below are some Pics of the bow ribs and Mast block.

VR,

Don

Attachments

• BR 1.JPG
    BR 1.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 382
  • BR 3.jpg
    BR 3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 381
  • BR 2.jpg
    BR 2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 381
  • Mast Block 2.JPG
    Mast Block 2.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 409
  • BR 3.jpg
    BR 3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 381
  • BR 2.jpg
    BR 2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 382
  • BR 1.JPG
    BR 1.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 394

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
swing keels came into use around 1780. they were a large wooden keel hung on a pivot in a well in the hold of a ship. the keel was dropped in open water to give resistance to beam winds and make the ship sail faster. when entering a harbor or shallow water the swing keel was raised to prevent grounding.

you may be looking at the stern post, I got a chance to look at the video.

david steels, the elements and practice of naval architecture
charles g. davis, american sailing ships
howard i. chapelle, the history of american sailing ships

OP
OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Hi wwwtimmcp,

What your describing sounds like what some of the modern sailboats are still using today now that you've explained it. But to be honest with you, they would have had to have a mighty large set of block and tackle to raise and lower this item. I tired just to lift a corner to see if it was attached or not and it wouldn't even budge.

As for the other item you mentioned "Stern Post" will have to go to the library and check and see if we have any of the books you have listed for a better comparison.

Thanks again,

Don

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
they would have used a capstan and several men to lift the swing keel or as the british called it a sliding keel. the whole idea was to prevent sideslip in the water with winds abeam. yes mostly smaller sailboats today use swing keels, but it is the same idea.

any idea on the total length of the wreck ? planking size ? keel size ? these will matter in identifying your vessel.

OP
OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Hi Tim,

The length is over a hundred feet long (measured), this is what was physically visual on the bottom. We know that there is a lot of planking scattered all over the place as you have to watch were you anchor or you become end up fouling your anchor and its a real bear to clear it.

The keel -beams that you will see in the pic 18 wide by 24 inches in height. Planking varies in size depending were it is, it ranges anywhere from 9 - 16 - 24 inches wide. The next time we go, we'll plan on doing nothing but a total day of taking measurements and all that is needed to answer yours and others question.

See pics below

Attachments

• Main Beam.JPG
    Main Beam.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 266
  • Mast Block 3.JPG
    Mast Block 3.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 253
  • Midships.JPG
    Midships.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 261
  • Planking 1.JPG