Bricks and Ballast Rocks

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
All,

The wreck were diving has a lot of red colored bricks all over the place, some under the deck planking, in the debris field and on top of the deck boards. At first we thought that they were from the firebox of a boiler, however since we can't find any remains of a boiler, were a bit stumped again as to what there purpose was. Could they have been used as ballast?

Photos below for your preview - pls note the bright Orange color as we turned them over to identify what they were.

DD

Attachments

• Ballast Bricks.JPG
    Ballast Bricks.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 569
  • Ballast 2.JPG
    Ballast 2.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 586
  • Balast 3.JPG
    Balast 3.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 516

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It looks like the bricks were being transported as cargo. Is there (or was there) a brick factory in your area?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
bricks were used as duel purpose ballast / cargo --- why carry rock when bricks could be sold?

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dove wrecks that were similar with fire brick and no boiler (they were steam powered). If it was steam powered there would still be some large iron pieces somewhere nearby. Unless of course someone pillaged it prior to your arrival.

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many bricks are we talking about? They have also been used as stoves.

OP
OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Hundreds of bricks is my best guess, on and under the lower deck planking. In other debris piles and scattered around the wreck site.

DD

SimonLakeSub

Dec 6, 2006
The transportation of bricks was a very big industry here in New York State, during the 19th century. Many brick producing factories were located in the mid Hudson valley, then transported down the Hudson River by ships and barges, making many stops along the way to the small towns and cities.

Simon.....

OP
OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
ScubaDude said:
I've dove wrecks that were similar with fire brick and no boiler (they were steam powered). If it was steam powered there would still be some large iron pieces somewhere nearby. Unless of course someone pillaged it prior to your arrival.

Yes, we did find some large pieces of iron, solid rod about 1 1/5 in dia, some flat bar or sheets that look fracture and a couple pieces of copper tubing the last dive we did - will add a few more pics this week end.

Don

OP
OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Re: Steam Ships - Bricks and Ballast Rocks

Scuba Dude,

Would a steam ship use lead gaskets between its pipes connections? Reason I ask is that I have two of them that are about 9 inches across and have about 3/4 inch bolt holes. Will try to post them later today.

VR,

DD

OP
OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Re: Steam Ships, Bricks and Ballast Rocks

All,

Below are the pictures of the lead gaskets and bricks, pls note brick is very heavy and not made of the standard clay material. The brick is 8 inches long, 4 in wide and 2 inches thick and I believe it is made of sandstone. The lead gasket gasket is 8 inches in diamenter not 9 as previously thought, bolt holes are 7/8 inches. I also found some copper pipe while I was diving also and its 1.5 inches in Dia.

DD

Attachments

• 8 inch Lead Gasket.JPG
    8 inch Lead Gasket.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 418
  • 8 inch brick made - sandstone.JPG
    8 inch brick made - sandstone.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 433
  • 1.5 inch copper pipes  1\' long.JPG
    1.5 inch copper pipes 1\' long.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 424

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your gasket was paired with a pretty hefty flange. It likely came from some sort of high pressure fitting.

OP
OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Actually its just a mineral deposit in the stone itself. If you were to touch it, it feels slick and the rest of the brick is rough like sandpaper.

DD

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah with the lead gasket and one sided slick brick -- its a steamer for sure . --- nice work figgering out the type of vessel--- from her type a rough age can be figgered out --then check up on maritime insurance / loss claim records from that rough time frame / in the area lost at --- the list might help ID her for you as well as the cargo carried

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions