Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Shipwrecks & Sunken Treasure

I am pleased to announce that
Shipwrecks & Sunken Treasure: 1492-1900 Vol I. The United States and Canada and
Shipwrecks & Sunken Treasure: 1492-1900 Vol II. Bermuda, the Bahamas, Carribean, Central and South America is done.

At least the text is finally done.

The last thing I am waiting on is the written permission for the use of some of the photographs I am including and Ellsworth Boyd, who wrote for many many years for Skin Diver Magazine has graciously offered to write an introduction for the book.

Other than that, I am really hoping to have this thing out before the end of the year.

Galleon Hunter

OP
OP
G

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Re: Shipwrecks & Sunken Treasure

By the way, here is some more information on my book.

One of the first books that got me interested in marine archaeology and sunken treasure was Bob Marx's Shipwrecks of the Western Hemisphere. (one of the Bible's in the field) The book has been redone on several occasions under different titles such as Shipwrecks in the Americas, New World Shipwrecks etc. However much of the information is the same as in the original edition. In one place Marx refers to "a recent expedition led by Cousteau failed to find the Concepcion." That "recent" expedition was in 1968. So basically what I set out to do was update Marx's book with all the wrecks that HAVE been found since he first wrote Shipwrecks in the Western Hemisphere. The Concepcion, the Maravilla, the Atocha, the Whydah, etc. I also wanted to include wrecks that have been found that ARE NOT in MArx's book such as the Queen Anne's Revenge, Jupiter Wreck, Hamilton, Scourge, etc. Although they fell within his time span, 1492-1825, they were over looked. I have included the important archaeological sites, Port Royal, the Mollasses Reef Wreck, the St. John's Wreck, the Emannual Point Wreck, etc. I also wanted to include all of my own Civil War research so I bumped the ending date back from 1825 all the way to 1900 which allowed me to include wrecks such as the Central America, Republic, Yankee Blace, Brother Jonathan, etc.

What I didn't anticipate is HOW many wrecks that would be, which is why I had no choice but to do the book in 2 volumes as I approached the 1,000 page mark. I have been collecting shipwreck information for more than 20 years and have been writing this book for the last 8. I have worked with or interviewed Bob Marx, Bob Weller, Mo Molinar, Gordon Watts, Richard Lawrence, Tom Gidus, Burt Webber, Jack Haskins, Eugene Lyons, John Brandon, Jim Sinclair, Duncan Mathewson, Lynn Carlsen, Bill Seliger, Steven Singer, Lou Ullian, John Potter, Mendel Peterson, etc. I have worked on many of the projects like the Queen Anne's Revenge, Peterhoff, Mary Celestia, 1715 fleet, El Infante, H.M.S. Vixen, H.M.S. Fl etc. first hand. I have collected hundreds of books on the topic of Shipwrecks and researched in countless archives, libraries and maritime museums. All this work I have put into this book which I think will make it the most comprehensive shipwreck directory in shipwrecks and sunken treasure ever made available.

I am going to start a list of names and email to notify when the book is done, if you would like to receive notice, please give me an email on this thread of personally.

Thanks,

Rob

SimonLakeSub

Dec 6, 2006

Congratulations Rob, Looking forward to your publication.........

Regards Simon...

Consolación Diver

Apr 29, 2007
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Cool Rob, Congratulations!

It is about time someone published a new, updated Shipwreck guide. I am eagerly awaiting a copy.

Bill

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow! Two Christmas presents for myself already! REALLY want those books. Can't wait. I'm positive you will sell tons of copies.
You're gonna have to have a signing party someplace.

Terry Armstrong sends

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Ellsworth Boyd now writes for "Sport Diver" magazine.

OP
OP
G

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse

I don't want to actually begin taking pre-orders until I have an actual publication date. Having never done this I would hate to take pre-orders and run into any unexpected delays. That is why for right now I am just making a list of contacts who would like to be notified when the book IS available.

The text is done, it has already been edited by a friend at the University of Princeton Press.

Photographs = I have permisssion for about 75% of the photos I would like to use and am waiting on releases on the rest, a few are from places like the Peabody Museum, so i am not sure how long that stuff usually takes. If it get to the point where I have 95% of the permission I need. I probably will just exclude theother 5% instead of waiting. Many of my photographs have never before been published, so I am excited abotu that.

Introduction = Ellsworth Boyd is currently writing an introduction for me.

After that it is just a matter of deciding the best publishing route to take and forking over the $$$ to have it done.

Will keep everyone posted!

Galleon Hunter

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Congrats, Rob! Put me on your list. Better yet, just email me the text and I'll do some further proofreading. ;D

SimonLakeSub

Dec 6, 2006

I have found the area of Permission very important. I held up my publication 2 months until all my bases were covered. The New York Times charged me $1,000 dollars for the use of 4 old newspaper articles. The Daily News and the New York Post waived the fee. They also stated that if I should go for another printing I need to pay $1,000 again. They did not want to hear the fact that the title is Educational nor that I am a senior citizen. Also the fact that the print run was only 1,000 copies did not matter to them. I have found you have to be persistent in asking for pictures, call and call again. Associated Press charged me $175 for 1 picture. Most people are not aware of all the hassles and money involved in writing a publication.

Regards Simon

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Hey bud,

What's the latest on your book? You got a boatload of people waiting :wink:

Darren

OP
OP
G

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse

Darrin & Crew

Just waiting on some written permission for some photographs. Once that is done, it ready to be printed. I have some really great never before published photos I'd like to include, but that's the only hold-up. I'm going to give it a little while longer, then if I don't have them, I'll not be able to include them, but I too don't want to hold the project up very much longer.

The Hun

Dec 6, 2008
Hungary

Galleon Hunter said:
Darrin & Crew

Just waiting on some written permission for some photographs. Once that is done, it ready to be printed. I have some really great never before published photos I'd like to include, but that's the only hold-up. I'm going to give it a little while longer, then if I don't have them, I'll not be able to include them, but I too don't want to hold the project up very much longer.

is any news about your book?

treshuntintom

May 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Been wondering where you where.Gald to hear from you.Put me down for 2 books.Should be back in Sebastian around the 18 th.Are you still in Louisana?Someday we might get to sit down & visit again.Good luck.Tom Fenley

OP
OP
G

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse

Hey Tom: Yeah still here, we just found an old wreck in 7,000 feet of water. Going to be taking a look at it with an ROV next month. Pretty neat stuff. I just sent you a PM, fill me in on what you've been up too?

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Hello Rob,

Congratulations on your book!!!I'm glad to hear that you are finally done.....
I would love to have a signed copy...

All the best,

Chagy....

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II

Chagy said:
Hello Rob,

Congratulations on your book!!!I'm glad to hear that you are finally done.....
I would love to have a signed copy...

All the best,

Chagy....

Hey Rob,
Whats the latest on the book? Is it ready to be published? Still looking forward to my autographed copy.

Fill us in, PLEASE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread