997 SI DIY Towfish video

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I would say its due to length. The longest I have heard of working with the low-impedance cable is 100'. I have not personaaly tried it, with the LP cable, but have successfully added the 30' extension from humminbird and got good results.

Looks like it flies nice! Cool Video by the way!

I would shorten it and see what happens.

Attachments

• towfish.jpg
    towfish.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,567
OP
OP
S
Jul 7, 2008
Hmmm, thanks I'll report back...nice proton rocket by the way :)

Do you thinkl it may have something to do with the transducer? There are guys on the "other board" that have over 200' on it and are reporting good results they use the newer 'ducer. I have both but I put the old 260KHZ on the towfish figureing it would give me better results/deeper in saltwater...

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Which board? I frequent most of them!

I would use the newer transducer at 455. The 800 is amazing but as you know does not have the range, but it is certainly great for getting the closeup details.

My proton rocket, as you put it flys pretty good! It pulls very deep if you are looking for design to get you down to the depths you are after. Actually it pulls too deep for what I am looking for!

Good Luck!

Robert

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scuba,

Kailua bay and west to makapu point was my old stomping grounds when i was in high school and college.When you get your SS fish working.check out bellows at the end of one of the run ways in about 10-15 feet of water you will find a P-39 air cobra upside down.Then go to the outer reef at kailua bay northwest of flat island.In 60 feet of water on a flatrock ledge you will find a intact P-47 thunderbolt sitting on its landing gear.Then go to rabbit island theres a Jap zero there.You wont find any guns on it.we pulled them off and donated them to the bishop museum.Sorry dont have any GPS for you.It wasnt invented when we were diving back in 1974.Stay out of the deep channel between the 2 mok islands.Theres a 30 foot great white that guards that area.

Oh,and if you are seeking real adventure and are into climbing mountains.Right above the pali hwy above the pali look out.There a crashed B-17 bomber with the Bombs intact.During the rainy season when i was there,some bombs rolled down the slopes and onto the hwy.marine bomb crew detonated them,then road crews filled in the craters in the hwy.Be careful.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Nice Fish bro! Looks like it runs true. What thickness of lexan did you use for the fins?

Chris_NSB

Jan 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incase other find this post down the road I would recommend using a cable with a large gauge wire or better insulation like CAT7 cable. I'm working on my own DIY towfish:
I'll post videos of my progress once I get to the cable extension phase.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris,

I am thinking that you will get quite a bit of cavitation noise around that opening where the transducer is mounted....

Let us know how it works!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread