need some help from the seasoned hunters(please)

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
I'm brand new to the metal detecting world.Bought me the cheapest one I think made,Quick Silver bounty hunter.It has been the most fun I have had in my life.I so far have $170 worth of "junk",says the local coin/jewlry collector,in about a months time,not to bad?Or is it? .Only 3 old coins,1936 liberty dime, 1945 liberty nickle, and a 1890? indian head penny.Rest has been lost jewry ,small crap.I have been hitting the beaches swimming holes around Tallahassee with some luck.I dig on every beep I get! I know I need a better detector, but in time this one will pay for that.Anyone can offer me some places to go hunt?REALLY REALLY would appreciate it.I'm not a pro at this yet, but it is so much fun!Thanks .......Jody

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Scroll down to the "General Discussion- By Location" and click on "Florida." There are some good tips on where to hunt in your area or check out: Treasuresites.com.

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
Some general areas:beaches,playgrounds,ball parks and fields ,under bleachers,fair grounds,and
volley ball courts,to name a few. Look in local records for any old school grounds,boy scout camps,
old church yards,etc.Also anywhere there are picnic tables and people.Good luck. Joe

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Some nearby places that come to mind would be areas around St. Marks, St George Island, and as near Fort Gadsden as you can get. If you see any construction projects going on near downtown Tally or near the FSU campus, go there after hours and check the piles of excavated dirt. Of course you might want to make sure that there aren't any "No Trespassing" signs and it is ALWAYS a good idea to ask for permission if someone is around the jobsite.

Another area to consider would be any vacant lots or construction sites near the old spanish mission on the west side as they may yield some spanish coins or relics. Just make sure you aren't on the property of the mission itself!!! I've also heard of people finding some spanish coins around Wakulla Springs since it lies roughly between the old spanish mission in Tallahassee and the old spanish fort in St Marks - it makes sense that anyone travelling the old mission road in those days would have probably stopped to water their horses and themselves at the springs or river.

When I went to FSU in the early 90's, one of the guys in my dorm had alot of luck around campus especially near any of the tennis and basketball courts but I'd be willing to bet that's strongly prohibited now. Then again it might be worth asking anyway. I wish I had a metal detector back then but I was really busy chasing skirts and 12 oz beverages ;D.

Pcola

OP
OP
Mr.Jody

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
Thanks guys for the tips,keep em coming.Never thought about around fsu...I had a fella tell me I could bring my detector into the old fort at st.marks,he was working there at the time , but I thought I might get into deep poo.!!
Where is fort gadsden?never heard of that place befor.I will travel "almost" anywhere if anyone knows of a good spot...

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Mr.Jody said:
Where is fort gadsden?never heard of that place befor.I will travel "almost" anywhere if anyone knows of a good spot...

Here's a link to the fort:
http://maps.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.nzppyc7xg41w_Fort Gadsden____&encType=1

You can get driving directions on the same page if necessary. Pretty interesting history about the place as well. Mosquitoes are pretty bad so I'd wait until fall to go there - worth the drive though. I strongly doubt they will let you metal detect at the park itself but you might be able to get on some of the surrounding land. If you have a kayak, the opposite side of the river would probably have a large amount of relics such as bullets, buckles, buttons, etc. since Andrew Jackson's army entrenched there during their siege on the fort.

Pcola

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread