bravo early.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 483
  • artifacts.jpg
    artifacts.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 477

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
In the second picture what is the item to the far right? The wreck that has been uncovered in Fort Morgan has the exact looking part still attached to it.

MichaelB

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
MichaelB said:
In the second picture what is the item to the far right? The wreck that has been uncovered in Fort Morgan has the exact looking part still attached to it.

MichaelB

That is a rudder bracket. Dell's has a pivot pin and the one Joe has just had a hole. They do look very similar and would compliment each other. One would be attached to the vessel and the other to the rudder. The pivot pin would slide into the one with hole.

Robert

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
RGecy said:
MichaelB said:

MichaelB

That is a rudder bracket. Dell's has a pivot pin and the one Joe has just had a hole. They do look very similar and would compliment each other. One would be attached to the vessel and the other to the rudder. The pivot pin would slide into the one with hole.

Robert

That's awesome! Was this a Spanish, British, or French Vessel? I found the exact same thing with just the circular sleeve portion but the brackets had been broken off. I wasn't sure if it was deck hardware or not but I can tell that my piece has the exact same geometry leading up to the curved portion of the bracket....SWEET!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

diverj

May 1, 2005
Huntley, IL
Oceanjas, thanks for sharing the pictures, very interesting. I wish you the best on your new endeavor. Sounds like God has opened another door for you. I have enjoyed your posts and look forward to more. I have always had an interest in marine salvage .

Jeff

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
technical term is gudgeon - fairly common on sailing vessels into the early 1900s. Also can be found on some 19th century steamers - attached are a couple pics of gudgeons off a steamer wreck off Georgia...

Attachments

• gudgeon2.jpg
    gudgeon2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 311
  • gudgeon1.jpg
    gudgeon1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 312

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread