Notice of Development of Rulemaking, Chapter 1A-31, Exploration and Salvage of H

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Notice of Development of Rulemaking, Chapter 1A-31, Exploration and Salvage

FISHEYE said:
I had a problem going to that link.anyone else get this error?

FISHEYE,
I just tried the link and it is working now. Also, since I was there, put in the comment which worked ok too. All I did was copy the one in the post above. I would suggest anyone else reading this thread do the same...is about our rights, to hunt for treasure.

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iF EVERYONE WHO SENDS THEM A COMMENT WOULD POST ON HERE SAYING THEY DID IT WE COULD KEEP THEM HONEST AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE NOT DISCARDING THE POSITIVE ONES. AT THE MEETING IN TALLAHASSEE THEY READ THEM ALL IN TO THE RECORD TO STACK THE DECK. VERY FEW WERE POSITIVE. THEY DID NOT READ AS MANY POSITIVE ONES AS PEOPLE HAD POSTED ON HERE SAYING THEY WERE GOING TO SEND THEM. LET'S GIVE THIS OUR BEST EFFORT NOW BEFORE IT IS OVER.

SEAHUNTER

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
ALL—

Thanks for your interest and help. These two memos came in this a.m., one from Taffi and one from Brandon. There are also attached letters. The link is still on my site, if you want to go back to the “Rule” posting.

Thanks again,

ER (See Below)

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­_____________________________________________________________________

[From: Taffi Fisher-Abt]

All, Two other comments.

HSSPC submitted their Revision of the Florida Submerged Cultural Resources Plan (FL SCR Plan) which was originally written by Roger Smith in the early to mid 1990's, then Secretary of State Sandra Mortham forced DHR to work with a liason to remove the arbitrary treatment of private sector and make the plan more workable and fair. When she left office, the current director, Jim Miller last responded to HSSPC in 1999. Earlier this year, I requested our current Secreteary of State to re-institute the continued revisions of this important document as it would guide the State in future decision making on FAIR rules. Secretary Browning approved and sent me the last version of 1999.

Several of us spent tedious hours revising this plan, and returned it to Ryan Wheeler and Secretary Browning two months ago today (August 6 by fedex). (CC to Creek, Kim, and Lewis, and Hanson.) I sent a very polite email to Wheeler last week and asked if he had reviewed it yet and if it would be addressed before the rule change. He responded No by sending me a copy of a letter that was sent to John Brandon from Fred Gasque dated 9/26/2008. In other words, they are ignoring ASA recomendations to make a plan and then make rules. They are putting the cart before the horse.

Also, the ability for Mel Fisher Center, Inc, (1715) and Motivation Inc. (MARGARITA or ATOCHA) to use subcontractors will be highly unlikly and at the very least a slowed down procedure because in the new rule the State DHR must approve all captains, crews, and methodology prior to such subcontractors being allowed to work (with no time limits on their response to our request).

PLUS:

Ernie-Thanks for posting the notice about sending in e-mail comments against rule 1a-31 on your web site. Hopefully you were able to get it out to some of your contacts on your e-mail list also. The Fishers will be posting the notice on their web site today. One more thing I'd like to get you to do if possible. There is going to be a rule making hearing and we want to have a big presence. Maybe you could get out the time a date of the hearing to as many people as you can, as follows:

October 21, 2008, 12:00 noon at Guana Tolomato Matanzas Auditorium, National Estuarine Research Reserve, 505 Guana River Road, Ponte Verda Beach, FL 32082. This is in the St. Augustian/Jacksonville area.

Thanks for your help,

John Brandon

We need every treasure hunter, salvor, captain, crewman, staff, investor,
friends, relatives, or anyone else you can think of who has an interest in, or
enjoys seeing, the private sector recovery of treasures and artifacts continue
in Florida to send a comment to the State against the proposed changes to
Rule 1A-31.

Please visit me at: www.enrada.com or http://home.att.net/~enrada
VIRUS-FREE E-MAILS COURTESY NORTON I-S 2008!

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Posted my comment!

I had spoken with Marc about setting up a response form here on TNet that would send out an automated email and standard form letter to the legislators, media, or whoever we wanted , but we needed to get the emails of everyone we wanted the response to go to. This would be something all of TNet could see, instead of just those who read the shipwreck forum. We have a very strong following here and need to take advantage of it.

Does anyone have a list of emails of Legislators, and key people we could send it to?

Or, post the emails here and lets compile a list.

Robert

OP
OP
FISHEYE

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Notice of Development of Rulemaking, Chapter 1A-31, Exploration and Salvage

EVERYONE on tnet needs to write a letter there.I posted the info on my myspace and in several florida scuba groups plus over on matt mattsons treasure forum.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just to add what Fisheye posted, this is not an isolated issue that will affect just Florida treasure hunters. You can bet that similar legislation is coming to your state as well. Academic and government archaeologists have made no attempt to hide the fact that they feel commercial salvors have no business at all searching for or recovering abandoned shipwrecks.

So whereever you live, please submit a comment!

Tom :icon_pirat:

____________________________________________________________________________________

https://www.flrules.org/Gateway/View_notice.asp?id=6172515

1. I am against any rules or regulations that would hinder Florida's historical shipwreck
salvors from their continued recovery and distribution of treasures and artifacts, such as the current
proposed rules.
2. For reasons of economy, efficiency and fairness,I believe the Division of Historical Resources should do more to work with the privatesector salvors of Florida and rule 1A-31 does not seek to do this.
3. I believe Florida's private sector salvors have done an excellent job of recovering and
preserving our maritime heritage, to the direct benefit of the public and at little cost to the
tax payers and should be allowed to continue with as little interference as possible. Rule
1A-31 does not do this.
4. I do not want my tax dollars used by state archaeologists to dive on shipwrecks. The
private sector salvors have done a great job, using their own money, with Florida getting
the benefits. No change to rule 1A-31 that will make it harder for the salvors to continue should be enacted.

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
Consider it posted.All for one and one for all. keegah

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just posted a comment.

I also registered with the State under the section "Communicate with the Agency with saved comments and agency replies".

I'm not sure what effect this will have but it supposedly will notify me of proposed changes in my areas of "interest" and will allow me to see comments to the rule.

I think everyone should sign up if they haven't already.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
these rules if enactecd whould make a major shift -- currently folks mag drag and or sonar scan --in effect they just looking about to see if they can find a wrecksite --once its found by the non invasive non damaging methods * they go and "eyeball" the wreck to see if its indeed a "possible" worthwhile wreck to salvage cash wise -- then if they deem it is they apply for a touch the wreck permit to farther check it out --if they find that it is they apply for salvage permits and while under the "research permits and salvage permit " stages they are closely monitered by the state acrh dept)

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
Darren, Scott, Tom, the entire ARRG team everyone on this page that's helped to get this thing going ....and you all know who you are...not to leave anyone out...but thanks...thanks for taking the time to help every one who enjoys this hobby including those that have been lucky enough to make it a living ......................Limo Bob

comments sent: Via Darren's link.............10/07/08.............5:25pm

IT WAS EASY AND TOOK SECONDS, I WOULD ENCOURAGE ALL TO PARTISAPATE

OUR FUTURE DEPENDS ON IT!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is something which I thought of too...other states will want to pass new laws or rules on treasure, should say gold. There was a gold investment company talk show on the radio discussing the inserted "gold & rare gold coin confiscation" provision made, on about the last page of the Patriot Act. I'm all for fighting terrorism and supporting the troops. What has private ownership of gold have to do with the Patriot Act? I didn't take the time to look it up, see if it is true. But, I assumed that what they say on talk shows must be right. Anyway, there was supposed to be a provision made in the Patriot Act which would allow the US Gov to take all of our gold in the event of a national emergency.

According to that gold company, China and Russia all along have been buying up gold, their currency stronger because of it. Our country has not been doing anything to get more gold...the main reason (besides the credit crisis) for the weak US dollar against foreign currency. It was at least 3 months ago since hearing this on the radio.

I've wondered after they said that, how long it would take some in state governments to get ideas, about finding a way to get our gold. What happens if they take away salvage rights? Who do they go after next? Eventually the gold confiscation provision in the Patriot Act (if it is really there) could be quoted by states to justify taking our gold...in ways they might dream up, who knows what goes through their mind.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dogmatic archaeologists got bold with the case JUNO-GALGA, Sussex-Mercedes gave occasion so that they took out the paws and now they finish off in Florida. Thanks to all them!!

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
Iam camping out at our own chat room called "notice of development of rulemaking, chapter 1a-31"....I'm getting great responce from tneters that haven't seen Darren's post under, miscellaneous> legal issues >treasure hunting banned in all states.................and they are responding and posting there comments and date of entry on that page ....here we go....and I'm not leaving my post till the 21st meeting.

BE PREPARED TO STAND AND DELIVER .......THE EMAIL LIST

Sincerely.............................................................................LIMO BOB

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Excellent Job guys...I'm probably one of those mentioned who have been silent on the matter. I am in a different country, sending a strong message to UNESCO that private sector salvors can indeed do excellent archaeology on very important wrecks. I can't really say more right now, but my comments are on record with Florida, and our voice will be heard soon.

Jas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread