0101000115040103042008090621fdc0e4d681645dd000b103.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 2,684

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I have spent nearly twenty years of my life repairing old boats for a living. All I can say is ...Don't do this to yourself!
Aquanut

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All boats are money pits.If that is a wood boat.get yourself a ice pick.Swim under the boat and start poking it with the ice pick every foot.If the pick goes easy into the wood more than 3 inches,then you dont want that boat.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If the pick goes all the way through, you will put the boat out of its misery.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm in the process of "restoring" a 1971 31' fiberglass Chris Craft. That's bad enough. I love old wooden boats, but restoring one of them takes a special kind of person. I'll ask my friends at the asylum is any of them are interested.................

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
I just thought i would post it,im looking for something alot newer.I may have found a boat for a pretty good price..What size engine would do the best on this boat?I found a 150 hp about the same year for a good price.Would that be to small?. Do you think this boat is worth $4000 never pay the full asking price right :-\ http://pensacola.craigslist.org/boa/853660312.html

Attachments

• 1161gb138ZZZZZZZZZ89o8105117e973c1c14.jpg
    1161gb138ZZZZZZZZZ89o8105117e973c1c14.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 2,524

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
For a 21' boat a 150hp engine would be adequate. But that boat is worth only $1,000. I found a 1990 28' Renken cabin cruiser with a 350 I.O. for FREE! It sank at its dock (so the engine needs to be rebuilt) in a fresh water river and the owner just wants to get rid of it. If you want a real bargain, look around the Galveston area.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
RELIC,

If you're looking for a boat just let me know what you're looking for (length, features, equipment, etc). I work with a ton of service men out at the base and there's always several for sale that you won't see advertised. They've got a pretty good boat market simply by posting stuff on the bulletin boards around base. If and when you find something you're looking for, just let me know and I'll be glad to go take a look at it with you.

Pcola

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
It looks like a wonderful hole in the water to throw money into!
I like boats a lot!

Thirteen at once is when I got tagged... it's a long story...

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Salvor6 said:
For a 21' boat a 150hp engine would be adequate. But that boat is worth only $1,000. I found a 1990 28' Renken cabin cruiser with a 350 I.O. for FREE! It sank at its dock (so the engine needs to be rebuilt) in a fresh water river and the owner just wants to get rid of it. If you want a real bargain, look around the Galveston area.

Pete, get the boat then!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 3 all aluminum boats for sale.2 are turn key ready for the water 1 needs about a weeks worth of work.25k each for the turn keys ones,12k for the 1 that needs work.All are ex navy patrol boats.

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p28/StillWaves/monark/ 25k turn key 200hp volvo penta diesel engine and duo prop outdrive.comes with trailer.

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p28/StillWaves/Patrolboat/ 12k,volvo penta 200hp deisel engine with duo pro outdrive,comes with trailer.needs about a weeks worth of work,hooking up exhaust,raw water and some electrical.

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p28/StillWaves/Patrolboat /peterson%20patrol%20boat/ 25k turn key,200hp diesel motor and outdrive is new with 100 hours on them.comes with trailer.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Those are nice boats FE !

Got a prob here on the left coast with the ocean being shut down for so many months of the year by the gubment. Maybe could sell 'em down in Mexico?

...There's a nice boat shop along the highway here... been there forever.
Great reputation.
They got a HUGE inventory of new boats up for sale this year.
***and the DUMMIES went and put up a large red letter on white sign saying

"Bank Repos Sold Here"

I dunno!

Best
rmptr

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
me and my dad rebuilt a 24' owens one year and I redid a 1956 arkansas traveller a few years ago. my next project is building a small shoal draft motorsailor. I have the mast,engine,anchors,windlass,sails,lights,filters,etc,etc. government liquidators just sold a 37' lifeboat that would have been a perfect hull for the project but money was not available. I suppose I could have sold something but I hate doing that.

it went cheap too.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
That sounds good, WT... adapt something....

I once passed on a twin engine sportfisher that was in very poor condition.
Later, it dawned on me that I could have just sliced the bottom of the hull off and had a smaller, more suitable craft that would only be in need of a superstructure and re-power.

A fisherman at a nearby harbor did a ferro-cement skin over an old fishing boat, a couple years ago.
The wood hull was unsound, and he covered it with layers of re-bar mesh, then mudded it.
It came out real good.

I'd like to have something like Joshua Slocum sailed around the world in. Can't recall the name of his boat, at the moment.

Then there's the St. Pierre's Dory. Plywood boat that can take a drop keel and a mast.
Good project for a small diesel.
A St Pierre's Dory has never been lost at sea for design failure!
Very stout design.

rmptr

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
joshua slocums boat was called spray . our freinds up north make wooden boats and cover them with fiberglass. you see alot of this technique around nova scotia. several are for sale cheap at scruton marine. I have thought about removing the keel of a sailboat and redesigning it. oh well right now money wont allow. how big is a saint pierres dory ? my diesel is 67hp pisces indenor.

have a good one rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
St Pierres Dory plans are at Glen-L.

I think from 28 - 35 ft.
They also got motorsailers.

A friend has one that's been on the dry for 20yrs.
It's got a 5hp Murphy diesel in it.

He said a quart an hour, no matter what speed.
Top is 6 knots I think he said.

He fished from it commercially, years ago when there was still some money in it.
There's no young fishermen anymore.

Best
rmptr

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
I see that fiberglass over wood has been mentioned several times. Let me tell you, that unless you know what you are doing, you will be wasting your time. I did this for many years and my first advice is to go online and review what lessons you can get from West System. You don't necessarily have to use their product, though, if you can afford it, I would recommend them. There are other epoxy systems available. A simple fiberglass over wood application is NO GOOD ON WOOD! when it comes to boats. Do your research before you buy or attempt this...I lived on a boat over 20 years and I saw a lot of failed amateurs, (even after I went over and told them specifically what not to do because I'd seen so much of it.) Guess what? They did exactly what I told them not to do... All their boats immediately sank when they hit the water. And, by the way, Fiberglass by itself is not waterproof.
Aquanut

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
you're right aquanaut, that is why they put gelcoat,barrier coats and and anti fouling paints on. we have alot of steel hulls for sale around here. my brother does metal soundings but finding the right paints is tricky. I've heard epoxy is best but it tends to reduce itself to a powder. I've heard to use epoxy with another paint over it. for fiberglass I've heard vinyl esthers actually have had better luck than epoxies.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Vinylester is a good product, better than polyester but still needs gel-coating. My recommendation for a steel boat is coal tar epoxy - (two coats).

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a steel boat i would sandblast it then use dupont corlar epoxy primer on it then paint it with imron.

For a aluminum boat wet sandblast,then use aladine zinc cromate primer or dupont corlar epoxy primer then paint it with aerospace alumagrip epoxy primer.

For fiberglass boats,anything can be put on it,imron,epoxy,gel coat,house paint if you dont have any money,lol.

For wood boats,i dont mess with em,use em for firewood.

I owned a paint and body shop for over 25 years.I have painted cars,boats,planes,jets,helicopters,trains with just about every kind of paint out there on the market.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread