is this spoon silver? says alaska silverware on the back

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pic of the back would help but offhand it looks like silver plate. It just appears to have brass showing through the plate at the top and right at your ring finger. Just a guess.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alaska silver is a trade-name for a white metal. White metals have absolutely no silver content despite the use of the word silver in many of their names. These metals were named for their silver-white color, not for the content of the alloy.

Fritos56

Apr 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a composite metal. There is also nickel silver and something I saw in an old Butler Brothers catalog I have from the late 30s, early 40s called Malacca ware. So no, there is no silver involved.By the way, look up the term on Wikepedia and elsewhere as some of this is not safe to use to eat with.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a composite metal. There is also nickel silver and something I saw in an old Butler Brothers catalog I have from the late 30s, early 40s called Malacca ware. So no, there is no silver involved.By the way, look up the term on Wikepedia and elsewhere as some of this is not safe to use to eat with.

please look at the original posting date before answering threads. You are answering an 8 year old thread, and a person who hasnt been back to TNET in 4 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions