Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! Guys and Gals I came across a bowl which I believe is Spanish Colonial but not a 100% sure and was wondering if you can identify the makers mark as I can’t find it anywhere, looked all over the internet with no luck. Looks like a palm tree in a circle and also has the initials. B.M

The footed bowl is heavy repousse and is marked 1000 finess with 1756 inscribed on it. Sure looks Spanish, it stands approx. 5” tall and 7’’ across at the top and the rim looks to be hammered and may have contained a glass bowl. The weight is 11oz
Thanks for your help, Charlie

Attachments

• IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_0405.JPG
    IMG_0405.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_0421.JPG
    IMG_0421.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 312

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could offer something worthwhile but I can't. I searched for two hours the other night in my books and on the internet and I couldn't find anything. I don't think it's Spanish Colonial, the marks don't correspond. I think the pictoral mark is more of a swirl or spiral design inside a circle versus a palm tree unless you can see something I can't. I can find "BM co." marks but none like yours. I think it's an American made piece, though coin silver (.900) was the standard back then. I'm not sure of the "1000" mark either as in i'm not sure if that's what it says. I don't know if there is such a thing as silver items being made out of pure 1000 fine silver, I would think it would be too soft. Besides the fact that it doesn't exist. .999 would be as high as you could go with .001 being inseperable elements. It looks like a very nice piece from the photo. I think you should take it to a pro or find and see what they can offer you as to the age/maker and fineness of the item. It's got me wondering. I think getting it attributed could add much value to it.
Maybe try posting it here- http://www.silver-collector.com/
or maybe email- Wm Erik Voss- [email protected] Good luck and let me know if you find out anything.

OP
OP
Marchas45

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
I wish I could offer something worthwhile but I can't. I searched for two hours the other night in my books and on the internet and I couldn't find anything. I don't think it's Spanish Colonial, the marks don't correspond. I think the pictoral mark is more of a swirl or spiral design inside a circle versus a palm tree unless you can see something I can't. I can find "BM co." marks but none like yours. I think it's an American made piece, though coin silver (.900) was the standard back then. I'm not sure of the "1000" mark either as in i'm not sure if that's what it says. I don't know if there is such a thing as silver items being made out of pure 1000 fine silver, I would think it would be too soft. Besides the fact that it doesn't exist. .999 would be as high as you could go with .001 being inseperable elements. It looks like a very nice piece from the photo. I think you should take it to a pro or find and see what they can offer you as to the age/maker and fineness of the item. It's got me wondering. I think getting it attributed could add much value to it.
Maybe try posting it here- http://www.silver-collector.com/
or maybe email- Wm Erik Voss- [email protected] Good luck and let me know if you find out anything.

Thanks for responding diggumup, yes there is such a mark as 1000 pure silver back in the 1700's and I found a British mark for B.M for Benjamin Montigue who marked it with his initials when it was imported into Britain. I don't think it was him though as they would have also put the British marks on it also I believe. Thanks for those links I'll keep you updated. Charlie.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread