Dirch(?) Stamps on Silver Spoons

BridgetownTreasures

Jan 27, 2020
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
Other
That should say DUTCH - sorry - Tnet won't let me edit the title of the post.

Sorry about the quality - pics were taken through a loupe. These stamps are very tiny!

These spoons are 4.5ā€ in length. Each spoon has 2 stamps on the back of the bowl. One is of a cross or sword. The other is the letter K and a half-moon shape - the stamp with the K looks to be partially worn off, so there could have been more.

The spoons are shovel-shaped with a scalloped edge. The twisted handles lead to what I believe are hooves at the end of each spoon.

Thanks for any advice!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1595100894.395278.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1595100922.192864.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1595100941.438465.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1595100951.596289.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1595101004.678479.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1595101015.943660.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1595101079.479445.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BridgetownTreasures

BridgetownTreasures

Jan 27, 2020
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Michael! Iā€™m quite certain these are Dutch pieces, not American. Iā€™ve pored through many lists and websites like this one, but I find it to be a needle in a haystack unless you have some concrete info as a starting point. Iā€™ve looked through all of the K names in many lists, but Iā€™m fairly convinced at this point that the K is not a reference to the artistā€™s name. Hoping to come across someone who recognizes the pattern or the stamps.

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sword mark is the standard, .833. The VK is the maker, van Kempen and sons.

OP
OP
BridgetownTreasures

BridgetownTreasures

Jan 27, 2020
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! Just found another spoon at a closed auction. Donā€™t seem to be many of these around. Any idea of the function? Sugar spoons?

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I image them to be sugar spoons. Maybe part of a tea service. They're cool spoons, I like the hooves.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that XtreasureX has already posted a good reply while I was composing mine, but I'll post what I was going to say anyway.

Those are indeed Dutch. The same barley-twist stem terminating in a hoof crops up on numerous internet auction sitesā€¦ usually with the seller incorrectly believing them to be German or Germanic.

You have the ā€˜swordā€™ hallmark for .833 fine silver from the Netherlands in use between 1814 and 1906. Unfortunately, for small items, the mark is not usually accompanied by a city assay mark or a date letter so only the makerā€™s mark might enable you to track it more precisely.

Netherlands.jpg

Although itā€™s most usually ā€˜VK under a crescent between two dotsā€™, I suspect that the VK with crescent on yours is a variation of the mark used by J.M van Kempen & Zonen of Voorschoten. ā€˜Zonenā€™ means ā€˜Sonsā€™. Van Kempen was in operation between 1858-1924 so, if it is their mark, then your spoons date between 1858-1906.

Most people call these ā€˜sugar shovelā€™ spoons. Certainly that shape was used in sugar bowls but also for desserts/sorbets etc. Since you have two of them, thatā€™s more likely what they were sold asā€¦ probably in a set of four or more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions