Suitcase FULL of SILVER Coins!!

bigjer

Mar 28, 2005
Hi all...
A relative of mine just showed me a suitcase FULL of ALL denominations of Silver coins....from 1800's-early 1900's Morgan dollars(dozens) , 100's of Merc Dimes...some in booked sets..., Walking Libert quarters...too many to count...., and all ages of Half Dollars!!!! What an incredible sight!!! There is literally 1000's of coins!!!
Now the problem....
She is wanting to collect on her late husband's "investment" and is not sure where to start. I am not sure either...since I just started metal detecting and only recently became aware of the values of silver coins.
Does anyone have advice on where she should start to make sure she can collect a fair return on these coins??

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bury them and charge detectorists a fee to find them! Actually and seriously, have them appraised and be sure they are insured for that amount and put them in a safe deposit box before they get stolen. I would sort them out and put them on Ebay in small lots with a minimum bid and sell them that way. Will probably wind up getting over market value even though it would take some time to dispose of them that way. No doubt some of them will be quite rare and pricey and I would hold those out and sell them seperately. JIM

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
invest in a "blue book" and start looking them up --

its2bornot2b

Jan 19, 2009
she could also sell the coins in bulk lots for a thefty price. that way there is very little time and work involved and she can still make alot of money. ...and if she is seriously interested in selling some of them, i myself might be interested in buying some!! please let me know what she decides, and i if i could get a few....or alot, off of her!! lol

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
Bury them and charge detectorists a fee to find them! Actually and seriously, have them appraised and be sure they are insured for that amount and put them in a safe deposit box before they get stolen. I would sort them out and put them on Ebay in small lots with a minimum bid and sell them that way. Will probably wind up getting over market value even though it would take some time to dispose of them that way. No doubt some of them will be quite rare and pricey and I would hold those out and sell them seperately. JIM
Bigjer Exactly what monty said!!!...some of the NON-KEY DATES(if graded,thats a whole diff.story,grading!)are bringing HUGE $$$ as to fill in major collectors(they overlooked dates while collecting) collections! & a blue book would be a good start also!

cookinaunt

Oct 30, 2013
Friendswood
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gotten fair prices at a local coin collector shop. You have the option to sell or not to sell . They should also tell you about them and anything you need to know.

dave sharky

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
listen to this guy he is right e bay not a coin dealer he will give you silver cost if your lucky i have done that not good.

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
reality check

Might want to check the date on these threads before you work up a lather, this one is 8 years old!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread