i found platinum in the llano river

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
found platnium in the llano river while panning and sluicing.
most is so small that you have to use a jewelers loupe to see it but i picked up a little over 1/4 gram in about 6 hours.

i didnt find much gold this trip in the river but did find some good ore (gold mixed with platnium) in the area.

all of you miners with experience that live within driving distance need to check out the area.(its pretty sweet if you dont mind lots of fines and some chance ore deposits)

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Re: i found platinum found in the llano river

congratulations for being observant! most people arein to much of a hurry to even see what they are missing.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heat outdoors or hit with nitric,outdoors too, to see ifn' mercury covered gold-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :headbang:

OP
OP
beaks

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500

i treated it with nitric before i posted my results then i dumped it in my mercury amalgamator.

next i will retort and seperate the pm's chemically.

with the ore i will just use it as a paperweight because it looks pretty cool and someone broke in and stole the chunk of silver i was using.(stole a couple ounces of gold too)

kilnmaint

Apr 3, 2009
Homewood, Al
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

How do you know Platinum is in your pan? Last weekend I dredged in Ga. in a creek that had never been worked. I got very fine gold and a small shiny silver colored material that wasn't as heavy as gold but not as light as the black sand. It would hold between the two when I tapped the pan.

OP
OP
beaks

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500

dont throw it away, test it, could be a pm.

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

beaks said:

I know this is an old thread, but I'm new here ;D Anyway reading this, and I found a fair amount of silver colored stuff the other day, heavy stuff and a buddy said that it could be platinum, then I looked platinum up on the internet, looked good it's gravity was 21.? anyway heavier than gold, but then it threw me a money wrench said platinum was only found in S. Africa and somewhere else, but it sure was not Greenwood, South Carolina!!! Then I read this thread, now I wonder again??? How do you test it??? Yes, I'm a rookie prospector, kinda, been doing it for a year or so, but it's a learn as I go, and I've got enough sense to know I got a lot to learn!

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009

Sackett said:
beaks said:

I know this is an old thread, but I'm new here ;D Anyway reading this, and I found a fair amount of silver colored stuff the other day, heavy stuff and a buddy said that it could be platinum, then I looked platinum up on the internet, looked good it's gravity was 21.? anyway heavier than gold, but then it threw me a money wrench said platinum was only found in S. Africa and somewhere else, but it sure was not Greenwood, South Carolina!!! Then I read this thread, now I wonder again??? How do you test it??? Yes, I'm a rookie prospector, kinda, been doing it for a year or so, but it's a learn as I go, and I've got enough sense to know I got a lot to learn!

Here's a couple good threads on platinum. I think it unlikely its platinum (but I could be wrong and hope I am!) more likely its mercury covered gold or galena, or some other metal. Is it malleable? Can you post pics?

http://gpex.ca/smf/index.php?topic=5589.0

http://gpex.ca/smf/index.php?topic=5239.0

http://gpex.ca/smf/index.php?topic=3403.0

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Astrobouncer said:
Sackett said:
beaks said:

Here's a couple good threads on platinum. I think it unlikely its platinum (but I could be wrong and hope I am!) more likely its mercury covered gold or galena, or some other metal. Is it malleable? Can you post pics?

http://gpex.ca/smf/index.php?topic=5589.0

http://gpex.ca/smf/index.php?topic=5239.0

http://gpex.ca/smf/index.php?topic=3403.0

Thanks...I'm gonna try that thing on the weight...don't know why I didn't of that...I knew gold was lighter...??? I know what that last gut posted, because that is exactly how this looked in my pan....Acted just like gold does, but it is flaky, slivers, sorta, under magnifying glass it's edges look like the gold flakes....I'll gett'a a pic....

OP
OP
beaks

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
sounds like gold amalgam but could still be part platinum, get some nitric acid and drop some in and it will tell you.
nitric wont touch gold or platinum but silver, copper, mercury, etc will go into solution pretty fast.

if your gold has been sitting with mercury on it for a while it will turn black after you take the mercury off most of the time.
most people throw the black stuff out thinking its trash when its actually gold.

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beaks said:
sounds like gold amalgam but could still be part platinum, get some nitric acid and drop some in and it will tell you.
nitric wont touch gold or platinum but silver, copper, mercury, etc will go into solution pretty fast.

if your gold has been sitting with mercury on it for a while it will turn black after you take the mercury off most of the time.
most people throw the black stuff out thinking its trash when its actually gold.

I just got some of my cons out to take some pictures...Pretty sure now that it is gold amalgam! I took a pair of twister and massed it, it broke into tiny gold "dust" these in the pics are some bigger ones and I can see gold color on them, now that I've looked....I've got quite a few here, and in my panning bucket I don't know how many I've thrown out, not thinking of mercury on it???BUT I GOT THEM IN THE TUB!!

Attachments

• Murcury Gold 009.jpg
    Murcury Gold 009.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,336
  • Murcury Gold 010.jpg
    Murcury Gold 010.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,125
  • Murcury Gold 009.jpg
    Murcury Gold 009.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 849
  • Murcury Gold 009.jpg
    Murcury Gold 009.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 828
  • Murcury Gold 004.jpg
    Murcury Gold 004.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 806
OP
OP
beaks

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
iron sulfide (pyrite) fools gold, it sucks but i guess thats life.

there still mat be some gold there but not from what i see

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread