A road culver...a good natural sluice in Alaska??

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been told/heard that the road culvers here in the interior of AK are natural sluices...after the spring thaw...has anyone heard this? Heard you could pretty much use a shop vac/generator to vacuum the riffles after the spring thaw and after everything dried up. Just wondering but with gold pretty much everywhere up here (if you know where to look), you may get lucky...

Just thinking anyway...

Ang

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have found a few in ga. that are good.easy pickins.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There used to be an old feller here in the Motherlode that used to go around sniping the culverts and used to do well.Now too many people know about it and hit them often.There needs to be years build up to do do any good

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ang , I can tell you since I used to live in North Pole YES , yes its true you can do pretty decent , I know I've done it ........I'll give you another of the good ""secret"" spots , go metal detect the snow dumps :icon_thumleft: I wasnt into metal detecting when I lived there but just wandering around the snow dumps when they thaw you can find pretty cool stuff . Jewelry , coins etc.
Hope this helps you out a bit , happy hunting :icon_thumleft:

Tank :icon_thumleft:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi: down here they simply cut a section of a culvert length wise, then partially bury it in a small stream, anchoring it with rocks and placing rocks and gravel stratigically so that it isn't too noticable.

This is Dejuicy's favorite method to get out of work. Hm, maybe I can get him to cover the Tayopa canyons with them?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dunc: These are the ones with the parallel circular rings that are at right Angle's to the length or flow. However, even the spiral ones would work on anything less than a full tube flow of water.

Don Jose de La Mancha .

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check the seams where different pieces are put together......there are alot of culverts in the back country on old trails and roads that are closed.... those are good ones.....try to find the ones that are old and rusted out on the bottom ;D ;D ;D...those can be called glory holes sometimes.the spirals do collect less....if you ever get a chance to rip one out it could be a good day depending on how it was put in the upstream end around the pipe can be a good trap.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea guys stop lookin behind boulders and logs.... and in bedrock cracks ....never look higher than the high water line....dont ever check the expansion cracks in concrete culverts under roads....never look where other peopl have looked dont believe any of your research... dont trust your gut and remember all the gold was got by the old timers....better yet we should just shut this whole site down way to much info for the literate much too easy access....lol.....

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say there are no secrets and nothing that hasnt been tried :thumbsup:

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A road culver...a good natural sluice?

HI All!

Spring is coming (soon I hope) and now that I'm retired, I'll check out those culverts plus hit the snow piles! I'm sure the trash will be high as our snow is piled from Oct thru May, but the finds might be more! Geeze, you should see our roadsides after the snow melts...the trash is everywhere! Good thing for highway cleanups before the tourists arrive in June!

HH,
Ang :icon_sunny:

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Culverts R good for 3 things Gold, leeches, rattles snakes but in AK I don't think you have to worry about snakes Ang HH and good luck..

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
freddy williams said:
Culverts R good for 3 things Gold, leeches, rattles snakes but in AK I don't think you have to worry about snakes Ang HH and good luck..

No Snakes, no leaches! Just gold! (I hope)!
Did you know we also don't have worms, ticks and the dogs don't need to worry about heartworm up here either!

This really is God's Country!

This picture was taken yesterday on or way Caribou hunting; it's also where I do my gold dredging! I may find a culvert here along this stretch of northern roadway headed towards Central, Alaska!

Ang

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    392.4 KB · Views: 1,125

1frozenhillbilly

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2007
bad news ang, don't know about the rest of the state but here on the kenai we do have leeches and an ocassional tick. good luck getting to those culverts b4 i get to em! i'll be the guy with the t.d and a garden hoe on a long stick

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1frozenhillbilly said:
bad news ang, don't know about the rest of the state but here on the kenai we do have leeches and an ocassional tick. good luck getting to those culverts b4 i get to em! i'll be the guy with the t.d and a garden hoe on a long stick

Leeches & ticks? You can have them and I've never seen one up here in the Fairbanks area but they could be there. I'm going to try a culvert, who knows, I could get lucky!

Good luck to you!
Ang

Goldbear

Apr 25, 2011
Wisconsin
I am soooooo glad I found this site. I already love all you guys! Prayers for all of you for being so free with info. Now if I can only find an area where nobody does this!

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A GOOD TIME TO GET CULVERT GOLD IS WHILE A FEW INCHES OF WATER IS FLOWING THRU THEM. USE A CHIMNEY SWEEP TOOL TO BRUSH THE GOLD OUT INTO A CAPTURE BUCKET OR PAN. JUST DON'T GET ONE WITH COPPER BRUSHES. YOU WILL SPEND ALL OF YOUR CLEANUP TIME TRYING TO GET RID OF THE TINY PIECES OF COPPER. THEY MAKE THEM WITH FIBER BRISTLES. YOU DON'T HAVE TO MATCH THE SIZE OF THE CULVERT, JUST RAKE THE BOTTOM AND LET THE WATER HELP MOVE THE GOLD (AND EVERYTHING ELSE) OUT.
IF YOU GO WHEN THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF WATER IS FLOWING YOU DON'T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT PUSHING THE GOLD UP STREAM.

GIVE IT A TRY. YOU MIGHT GET THEM ALL CLEANED OUT BEFORE THE OTHER GUY GETS THERE.

GOOD LUCK.
PROSPECTORMIKEL
:coffee2:

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldbear said:
I am soooooo glad I found this site. I already love all you guys! Prayers for all of you for being so free with info. Now if I can only find an area where nobody does this!

Love to help a fellow treasure hunter! Where are you in Wisconisn? My fiance is from the Appleton area and I'm from the very NW IL area...headed back in Sep. Will sure miss Alaska no doubt!!

Happy Hunting!
Ang

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread