How can you tell if your running your sluice to fast?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ideal is when the material classifies down the box keeping the black sand and some blond sand and of course all the gold, but eliminating most rocks and sand. Flat rocks will hang up in the box no matter what the water speed, so watch the rounded ones more.

Another item to consider is depth of the water in the box. You want a depth where you can see the water slightly jumping over the riffles. It should not be a smooth stream of water, but hopping some.

That's about it. Practice makes perfect, and always test the material running off the end of the box with your gold pan to see if you are losing any gold. If you are, readjust your sluice box by decreasing the slope first, or slowing down the water so that you keep more material.

You can also test by dropping in 5 BB size pieces of lead (painted gold if you like) and see if you lose any or not.

hope this helps,

GG~

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
GoodyGuy said:
You can also test by dropping in 5 tiny pieces of lead (painted gold if you like) and see if you lose any or not.

I really like this idea Goodguy, thanks!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good question... for sure! One that will invoke MUCH thought. I would very much like to know myself! I'll bet the pros will even point to both ends of the spectrum. I would believe in the faster end...... but then..... Good luck, partner. TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also with experience you will know what the water action should look like behind the riffles and how the material acts as you are feeding it.The black sand should crawl off of the pre inspection mat area.....and as John said if in doubt sample your discharge

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread