Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    1 times

My home made sluice box what do you think ???

Hello Friends,
    Please see the pictures of my home made sluice box I have been building / modifying it for last year or so.
    As you can see it has a sluice gate (could be open or closed), metal webbing to prevent big rocks go through it, next part is the gold / black sand catching rubber mat with an “air ribs” and metal webbing on the top of it. The “ribs” can be bent in any position for the best working condition. 2nd. The detachable part has again 1 of the ribs, metal webbing and carpet. Both above parts are hinged so can be moved up for cleaning. Total length about 8 feet (both parts together) – weight about 40lbs.
    Could you give me any input / info how I can make this better and more efficient?
    Regards to all………….

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    1 times

Re: My home made sluice box

More pictures.............

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    1 times

Re: My home made sluice box what do you think ???

Should I add / install a Miners Moss - Nomad Sluice Carpet on the bottom of my box / starting from the front to the bottom of the first part of my sluice Probably it will be faster and easier to clean up.
    ?

us
    Apr 2010
    6 times

I like the first set of "mini-riffles". Where did you get that?

My only comment/question is; what about the side walls? Do you have a problem with channeling your water through the sluice?

Nice work.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    1 times

I got the "mine-riffles" from the hardware store, I think they are for an air circulaton or something like that
    As of water circulation - flow - it is ok - I can always add some extra walls to keep more water flowing, partially close the sluice gate or move all higher with less water flow.

us
    Dec 2007
    maui, hawaii
    10 times

looks like you sure put alot of work and time into it. have you ahd a chance to
    test it out? looks cool and thanks for sharing the pictures. take care. ron

us
    Jun 2009
    Blue Ridge, South Carolina
    280 times

Very interesting design. I do think the sidewalls should be a little taller as well. Otherwise in the river it seems like you would get water flowing right over the sides? Nice work overall though. Look forward to seeing how it does.
    Sample till you find the hot spot, then mine it till its gone! Then start over...

us
    May 2009
    Garden Valley, ca.
    Gold Bug Pro
    1437 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

you are gonna need taller side walls to direct your flow, if you get any kind of build up the water and material will go over the sides... your material is gonna find the path of least resistance, wich will be over the sides. the principle behind a sluice is that the material has to go downs stream/sluice cause it has no where else to go. the flow of water and the pull of gravity is what helps the gold dop out of suspension, into the low preassure zones in your sluice, be it behind riffles of into drops.and if your gonna run any serious amount of material you need good strong riffles, if you can bend somthing in your box with your fingers rocks are gonna do the same... your not gonna like it. dont get me wrong the best thing is your buildin your own stuff.i do think if your usin it as a clean up sluice it could work. but only classified material.check out astros sluices he defiatel knows what hes doin.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    1 times

Yep, I will add some more aluminium walls about 2-4 inches on both sites. Also as you can see the upper metal mesh will not alowed big roks to go througth the sluice so I'm not worry about the riffels getting bent - now the question is the angle of the riffles ? I can change it using a wisegrip.
    Also to avoid cleaning the rubber mat I decided to put a carpet on the bottom.
    Anyone has some extra nomad-miners moss I could buy ?
    Thank you all for input.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors